TTA Tools: Wednesday, 2 pm MT, 4 pm ET, 19 December 2018

Logistics

CV-331/GB-137/SO-317, 331 Hub 192.33.117.12##6519 Audio 434-817-6286

Agenda

  • Metrics
  • Requirements Document: major Issues
  • AOB

Minutes

Attending: DanaBalser, AnandCrossley, JeffKern, MarkClaussen, AmyMioduszewski, LorantSjouwerman, StephanWitz, RyanLynch

  • Metrics. We discussed the remaining metrics:
    • 8. Deadline proposals by SRP. Deadline proposals by type: Regular, Large, Sponsored, Dissertation (with disertation proposals broken down type proposal type and telescope). We need to better define the metric and have continuity over time (out of scope here). Our current proposal structure contains all of the necessary info.
    • 9. Number of proposals and number of proposers per semester. Need to add global ID since names can be the same.
    • 10. Fraction of deadline proposals with US PIs (US authors) per SRP. Fraction of deadline observing time by proposals with US PIs (US authors) per SRP. We need to better define the metric and have continuity over time (out of scope here). Otherwise the info is available.
    • 11. For VLA and VLBA proposals, provide: proposal ID, PI last name, PI First name, PI email, grade(s), telescope(s). Our current structure contains all fo the necessary info. We use the global ID to get the email in the profile; we want the current email for contact person.
    • 12. Table of DDT proposals: proposal info + observing time. Our current structure contains all fo the necessary info. There was some discussion about observing time. For example, does this include lost time. For the GBT the answer is no. This issue is out of scope here but we should better define this metric in general.
    • 13. Time requested (and approved) on non-NRAO telescopes. This requires different options under the allocation request. For external telescope requests (e.g., HST) that go through our TAC we need to specify telescope, technical justification, and the time (e.g., orbits).
    • External TAC. We need to provide a mechanism to capture information for proposals that are reviewed by external TACs that request time on the VLA, VLBA, or GBT. We should add "External" to the proposal review category. Also, if external then we force the user to enter in the relevant fields (e.g., allocation targets) if they are approved for time.
  • Requirements Document: major Issues
    • Terminology. Overall there was a concern that the terminology was not intuitive. We discussed several terms:
      • Allocation Request: RyanLynch suggested "Telescope Request". JeffKern felt that in the future (e.g., ngVLA) we will be requesting resources (e.g., reprocessing). There was a lively discussion about whether ngVLA was in scope and whether or not we should be looking that far into the future. JeffKern suggested "Resource Request". Unfortunately the word "Resource" has been used in the past and therefore may be confusing. In the end we agreed to stay with "Allocation Request".
      • Allocation Targets: We all agreed that "Targets" is not a good name since it implies positions but here we have front-end and back-end information. RyanLynch suggested "Targets and Instruments" but we wanted something more concise. We agreed on "Observation Specification".
    • Allocation Type. JeffKern suggested that the allocation type be: regular, large, or DDT and that there be a checkbox for filler. If the proposal review category is DDT then the only option here would be DDT. We then should move Triggered out into its own category. We agreed to this change.
  • Actions:
    1. DanaBalser will cancel the TTA Thursday meeting so we can have one additional meeting. We will discuss:
      • Remaining terminology issues
      • VLA configurations
      • Remaining major issues
    2. RyanLynch will send DanaBalser any other terminology suggestions since he cannot attend the next meeting.

-- DanaBalser - 2018-12-18
Topic revision: r2 - 2018-12-19, DanaBalser
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback