Work Status

15 Jun 2009

project text
Algorithms  
ALMA  
Archives  
CASA  
CIS  
EVLA OSRO Readiness Review was conducted on June 5.
  Starting search for new programmer to work on user interface for the part of the obs prep tool that is used for configuring hardware.
  Resuming work on GUI version of dynamic scheduler.
  Finished strawman version of proposal.xsd and distributed. Stephan to be primary EVLA contact.
GBT Quarterly planning meeting this Thursday at 10:30 in GB137/CV209 - Effort requests being placed in EffortQ4FY09
Bob Garwood, Ray Creager, and Mark Whitehead attended HPC Boot Camp at UVa last week.
AmyShelton will be at TeraGrid 2009 next week.
PTCS: Design Review final report
Dynamic Scheduling: Working busily toward 09C release.
KFPA: Working on getting job offer to candidate for Software Engineer II data pipeline position.
GoogleSky  
Guppi  
KAT  
Interactive Services  
Management  
Pipelines  
VAO  
Web  

01 Jun 2009

project text
Algorithms  
ALMA Release 2.4 preparation concluding. This should re-establish routine interferometry in Chile. CDR7 preparation in progress.
Archives  
CASA N. Elias accepted job offer to be CASA manager, early to mid September start date. CASA v2.4 pre-release generated. Tutorial in McMaster this week, at NAOJ last week. Cluster work restarting.
CIS  
EVLA Production database for OPT was updated from Oracle 10g to 11g, which is what the test database has been using all along. We expect this to eliminate an intermittent problem saving projects.<br />Preparing for SSS review.<br /> OpenSky will soon clean user data. This will eliminate conflicts with XML schema restrictions and allow all users to login to OPT successfully.
GBT KFPA: Currently interviewing a new candidate for the position; our last candidate did not work out. Looking promising thus far.
Dynamic Scheduling: Updating our WBS and work plan for this Fall's release. We need to refocus on what is possible given the time lost over the spring trying to create a fixed summer schedule, which we ultimately failed to generate anyway.  
PTCS: Work continues to progress on the servo upgrade. We are also working to get the OOF Holography code base organized and to create a repeatable build process.
GoogleSky  
Guppi The new generation modes still need more work for release.
KAT The next coordination phone meeting will be on 12 Jun. It will highlight a discussion led by JeffMangum on single dish and single baseline software for KAT commisioning.
Interactive Services PST: Today at 5pm ET is the deadline for proposals. As of 15:00 ET 127 proposals have been submitted.
Management  
Pipelines  
VAO  
Web Wiki:Ccs.WebInternalContentMigration: stalled (calendar functions done, waiting on SSL service on WebEvent server)
Wiki:Ccs.WikiMigration: Green Bank Wiki to safe / staff mostly done
Kayako helpdesk (Stephan, Nicole)
Installed drupal instances for CMS tests

18 May 2009

project text
Algorithms SanjayBhatnagar is preparing a note with his proposed steps to approach wide-field imaging.
Cluster evaluation. SanjayBhatnagar has published two notes on data processing performance on the prototype cluster; BillCotton has one in preparation.
ALMA In Release 6.1 closeout. Will be tested in Chile first part of June - should result in proper fringes (with phase tracking, etc). Single dish work continues to be somewhat painful with 6.0.1 (different equipment than at the ATF, etc), although a lot of data is being taken.
Archives  
CASA Release 2.4 closeout) due 1 June. Pre-release was used for a Garching tutorial, 40 participants. Seems to have gone well, although MacOS 10.4 is not available in the pre-release (which was known but insufficiently advertized). Getting ready for a tutorial in Canada in early June. Sanjay's parallelization memos in late draft form.
CIS  
EVLA Review of Science Support Software on 05 Jun.
GBT Dynamic Scheduling: We generated a schedule the first two weeks of June last Friday, but there are issues with it that are being resolved.
PTCS: Design Review happened last week. Waiting for the committee's report.
GoogleSky  
Guppi  
KAT Periodic phone meetings will be restarted on 22 May.
Interactive Services  
Management There have been discussions towards forming an Observatory Science Operations group.
Pipelines  
VAO IVOA interoperability workshop is all next week in Strasbourg; hot topics TAP, SIAV2, spectral line interface. We have been working within VAO to define a list of proposed facility applications (e.g., distributed cross match, global data discovery). We are still waiting on the NSF for a formal contract and initiation of funding. A Science Council is being formed to help prioritize the VAO program; this will convene once funding is in place.
Web  

04 May 2009

project text
Algorithms  
ALMA  
Archives We've been meeting with the LITTLE THINGS (http://www.lowell.edu/users/dah/littlethings/) team to support hosting their survey data at NRAO.

Data Vault Lite (http://archive.cv.nrao.edu/download/) has an index of archived VLA/EVLA, VLBA, and GBT raw data (pages are available for projects from any of these telescopes). This is a first step in providing one-stop, direct access by project ID to archived data from any NRAO telescope. Right now, GBT data is available for immediate download, and others are redirected to the Data Archive System hosted at the AOC.
CASA  
CIS  
EVLA Had expected to put time in on proposal.xsd, per previous week's email thread, but did not. Expect to do so this week.<p>Released vers 0.8 of OPT ( release notes).</p>
GBT Dynamic Scheduling: Carl Bignell retired last Thursday. Our current goal is still to have enough software in place to schedule the first two weeks of June by May 15. We have a co-op student working to create a sensitivity calculator for use with the PST for GBT observations.
PTCS: Design Review scheduled for next week.
We will not be having our regular release at the end of the current development cycle. We have few enough items that individual patches to the system can be done more effectively with less telescope time.
GoogleSky We are looking into ways to improve KML Now's VO SIAP client.
Guppi The plan remains to make GUPPI a full-user instrument for GBT starting in June, and the GUPPI team is actively working on final items this month.
KAT  
Interactive Services  
Management  
Pipelines  
VAO  
Web  

20 Apr 2009

project text
Algorithms  
ALMA Working on the 6.1 release finalization process. The SDM "finalization" FBT has concluded and its work is being merged to the head. Single dish measurements in Chile are proceeding. Jim Pisano, head of the correlator software group, is quite ill.
Archives  
CASA Spent the week in CV talking to the UVa parallelization group. We are cautiously optimistic this will be a fruitful collaboration. We have delivered scripts to generate test data (parameterized so they can generate any data size they want) and scripts to flag/calibrate/image the data, parameterized so they can adjust the output cube size. Next they will do some profiling.
CIS  
EVLA  
GBT KFPA: We are getting applications for our pipeline software engineer position. We currently have a strong candidate who will be interviewed this week on-site in CV.
Dynamic Scheduling: Carl Bignell is retiring at the end of this month. We are working hard to learn as much as we can from him before he leaves. Our current goal is to have enough software in place to schedule the first two weeks of June by May 15. We have a co-op student working to create a sensitivity calculator for use with the PST for GBT observations.
GoogleSky  
Guppi  
KAT  
Interactive Services PST: Release candidate planned for 30 April with (1) create API so that EVLA and GBT programs can retrieve PST objects; (2) minor telescope resources changes; (3) phase I of referee users; and (4) minor enhancements.
Management  
Pipelines  
VAO  
Web  

06 Apr 2009

project text
Algorithms CalIm09 - the SKA Calibration and Imaging Workshop, 2009 last week was very successful. It showed the diversity of development for new instruments around the world.
The NRAO Algorithm Research and Development Group, which will concentrate on problems for the NRAO instruments, was announced to participants last week. The kick-off meeting is 9 Apr. A mailing list for worldwide participants in algorithm development has also been created.
ALMA Completing implementation of next version of the ASDM (real-time system writer/CASA filler). Subsystem freeze for R6.1. Tune/lock issues in Chile; combination of hardware/software.
Archives  
CASA Bug-fix week this week. In release cycle for R2.4 (due by 1 June). Participation in CALIM09 last week. Hope to resolve some 64-bit issues with van Diepen next week. Bhatnagar/Glendenning/Golap in CV next week for discussions with UVA on parallelization.
CIS  
EVLA Working on Lorant's wish list of changes to OPT.
Will be working this week on use cases that involve users who have submitted a scheduling block, but who want to "unsubmit" it, make changes, and resubmit.
GBT Senator Byrd is visiting Green Bank this week on Wednesday to dedicate the Science Center to his late wife.
Dynamic Scheduling: Carl Bignell is retiring at the end of this month. We are working hard to learn as much as we can from him before he leaves.
GoogleSky  
Guppi  
KAT  
Interactive Services  
Management  
Pipelines  
VAO NSF has received all required input from VAO, but we are still waiting for official notice and the turn-on of FY09 funding.<br />Procurement of VO server on hold until VAO funding is certain.<br />Strawman NRAO VAO plan is in preparation.<br />SCS service for VLA observation catalog completed; looking into integrating this into NVO Inventory service at IPAC.<br />Meeting with Anita Richards this week in Socorro to advance SIAV2 (data cubes).<br />TAP/multicone Note in preparation; TAP param query document will follow.
Web Wiki:Ccs.WebInternalContentMigration proceeding (calendar functions done, waiting on SSL service on WebEvent server)
Donar Upgrade to RHEL 5 Done.
Wiki:Ccs.WikiMigration next phase: Green Bank Wiki to safe / staff Pending resolution of embedded absolute links (do on backend with script)
Investigating test install of helpdesk for NAASC and other Astronomical-themed functions
Started checking various CMS and Calendar possibilities with test installs (Drupal, Horde)
Site for "galaxies09" meeting, and associated on-line registration system (2checkout)

-- GarethHunt - 2009-09-03
Topic revision: r3 - 2009-09-03, PatrickMurphy
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback