CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2014-02-25, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
NOTE: This meeting had been postponed from the previous week.
Ticket-specific notes in blue text are those appended immediately following the meeting.
Brian M., Arielle, Mark R., Mark L., Scott S., Adam, Jen, Tony, Nuria, Anand, Crystal, Jeff, Steve, Juergen, Kristina
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 184.108.40.206
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 220.127.116.11
Minutes (Main Points Only)
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets, but excluding Pipeline) prior to meeting: 78.
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) following meeting: 74.
- 4.2.0 is the current release version for Linux. Mac OS X 10.7 is currently undergoing automated testing.
- If you are on a Red Hat 5 machine, you can access older versions via the '-r' option, e.g. 'casapy -r4.1.0'
- If you are on Red Hat 6 and need CASA 4.1, run it from here: /home/casa/packages/RHEL5/release/casapy-41.0.24668-001-64b/casapy
- First and second 4.3 test packages had been deployed.
Main Points Raised and Any Other Business
- imrebin discussion needs to take place. Should include Adam, Remy and (probably) Mark R.
- An offline discussion was schedule for Friday on the subject of an imfit rework. Crystal, Adam, Kristina, Claire, Jeff and Brian M. will participate in this.
- OS X 4.2.0 package testing to be done:
- Plotms tests (versus time, freq, etc.). No exhaustive testing. Make a box, try to zoom, try to locate.
- Juergen will do 10.7.5 tests, Mark R will do 10.8.4 tests.
- Test imview, save png file.
- Make sure that casaviewer from command line works same as within CASA.
- Test a reduction script on TDM?
- Interactive clean
- CAS-6037 has been fixed, but needs to be made available as a patch in advance of the summer school.
- See also other items with red notes below.
- The next meeting will take place in 3 weeks' time on March 18th, 2014.
New Action Items Arising
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During Meetings
Ready to Close Items
- CAS-5744 (Oct/Nov): jump to channel not persistent in spectral viewer. 4.3 item. "ARTT". Tester: Juergen. Resolved as done.
- CAS-5110 (May): big pixels in ia.regrid. Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Remy provided some recommendations. Some additional work done by developer (r26985). ARTT in current package. Will probably be released "as is", so ticket now flagged as a 4.3 item. Adam was to check that the rules included do work (ticket is with him). To be resolved following this meeting, unless he objects. Resolved as done.
- CAS-5712 (Oct): mstransform does not slice WEIGHT column when correlation selection non-trivial. RTT. Tester: George. Blocker. Some progress made, bugfix committed to trunk. 4.3 item.Jeff may want to comment on this one. Resolved as done.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-5335(Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. Critical item. Currently listed as "Open". Parked with Tony R. The two blocker aspects (CAS-5589, perceived issue with region sizes) have now been addressed by the developers, subject to positive testing feedback.
- CAS-5572 (Sep): Test fix for circles and ellipses when image has non-square pixels. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy/Tony R. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-5725 (Oct): 4.2 item. Testing of bug fix for non-J2000 coordinates and centered rectangles Current testing status unknown. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-5746 (Oct): 4.2 item(?). an existing window should be brought to foreground when requested again. r27105. Tester: Juergen.
Single Dish (to be skipped during the meeting)
- CAS-5338 (Jul/Nov): Update single dish flagging task interface (sdflag2). Currently ARTT again in the pre-release. Tester: Eric Villard. Overdue for tester feedback - ticket pinged again.
- CAS-5139 (Sep): Proper handling of flag information in sideband separation algorithm. Subtask of CAS-1756. Currently ARTT; 4.2 item. Assigned to Daniel Espada. Noted on ticket as a low testing priority, but it would be nice to be able to resolve it if it works.
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
- CAS-4754 MSTransform (with subtasks): Lots of testing done. MSTransform marked as "experimental" in the 4.2 release. Speed sometimes not faster than split, but not horribly slow. Just keep an eye on performance for now - no corrective action needed. Keepflags option still missing - to be part of 4.3. No subtasks currently needing science user testing. This ticket cannot be resolved as done yet. It has two subtasks still on hold, and another that requires developer testing. No science user testing needed at present, though.
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Currently ARTT Will be released for 4.2 "as is". Testing done by Steve, but still inconclusive. Being tested by Preshanth. No news. Ticket passed to Preshanth for further work.
- CAS-5699 problem in dictionary returned by fluxscale in latest casapy-test #26688. Blocker item. Currently RTT, passed to Lindsey, but Anita and Brian are also interested. Mostly a future Pipeline concern.
- CAS-3532 (Sep): Incorporation of Alma Primary Beam in Mosaic. Currently ARTT. Needs tester assigning. Ticket currently with Juergen. Was a 4.2 item; unassigned since November. Assigned to Scott S. to oversee - needs a cleaned 12-m mosaic image to be generated and compared with using the old beam model. Kartik may have something suitable. Scott is currently testing this on a suitable dataset. Clean is much slower (although this is expected, as a greater number of calculations are being conducted).
- CAS-6073 Feb 2014): 4.3 item. Improve line overlay behavior (in viewer). Currently ARTT (r28486). Tester: Tony R. No news.
- CAS-5745 (Oct): 4.2 item(?) regions in plotms disappear when the locate button is pressed. ARTT. r27104. Tester: Paul Anand will remind Paul.
- CAS-5879 (Dec): 4.3 item. include pixel rms in imfit fitting. RTT. Committed to trunk as r27674. Ticket parked with Mark for now. Tester: Claire. See also update for CAS-3476 (above). Ticket pinged. No news.
- CAS-5836 (Nov): 4.3 item. Create new task imrebin. ARTT. Commit to trunk as r27427. Probably a fairly high priority for testing, as there will almost certainly be a need to iterate on this. Tester: Remy No news.
- CAS-6113 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. When exporting a file in the Spectral Profiler, a txt file is created, even when fits or plt file is specified. ARTT in casapy-test. Fix: r28483. Tester: Sarah, in consultation with Tony. Some additional features to be checked at the same time.Anand to remind Sarah about this.
- CAS-4976 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. plotms should provide a truly non-interactive mode for batch use. ARTT. r28475. Tester: Paul No news.
- CAS-6170 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. testing ticket for ia.decimate(). Should be a subtask of CAS-5849, but Jira does not permit sub-subtasks. ARTT in the current test package. Tester: Nathan, consulting Adam if need be. No news.
- CAS-4469 (Jun+ 2013): Split with channel averaging is creating spurious spectral features and weight is wrong when there has been channel flagging. Subtask of CAS-5245. ARTT. Tester: Crystal. Put "On hold" for user testing purposes, as it cannot be tested until weight spectrum is fixed.
- CAS-5334 (Feb): Ellipse regions have wrong width (RA). ARTT (r28520). Tester: Josh.
- CAS-3447 (Feb): ft lists the pixel scale as 1x1 arcsec regardless of image. ARTT (had been resolved as "Incomplete" at one point, but we need to check its behavior). Tester: Paul. Paul to consult Mark R. if necessary.
- CAS-5418 (Dec): XML markup in inline tools documentation is not always parsed correctly. (A)RTT for 4.2/4.3. r28452. Mark R. to test. No news.
- CAS-5022 (Jan 2014): Refactor MSMetaDataOnDemand into MSMetaData. Currently ARTT; ideally 4.2, practically probably 4.3. Ideally, all msmd methods should be tested to ensure no bugs have been introduced. Ticket currently parked with Mark R., as no specific tester will be assigned. Crystal was to talk to Todd. This ticket will be given another two weeks, if no problems are reported, it will be resolved as done. To be moved to "Ready To Close" in advance of the next meeting.
- CAS-6038 (Feb 2014): 4,2/4.3 item. toolkit inline help now producing unreadable output. RTT. Tester: Mark R. No news.
- CAS-5758 (Nov): 4.3(?) item. casafeather: the low convolved, and weighted needs to include the 'scaled' label. Input Required from Science. Tester: Juergen. Juergen will talk to Brian.
- CAS-5974 (Dec): impv: impv: support for supplying a center world coordinate and position angle. Input Required from Juergen, following some testing. 4.3 item. Tester: Juergen Juergen to test. Probably close to done.
- CAS-5720 (Oct): 4.2 item. change tooltip for new histogram functionality tool. ARTT. Tester: Paul (eventually). Switched to "Input Required" and passed to Crystal, so that she and Adam can comment on preferred behavior. Crystal will talk with Adam about this.
- CAS-5848 (Dec 2013): 4.3. enhancements for imsmooth. Input Required from Science (via Mark R.). Subtask of CAS-5844. See list of Action Items above: we need to get a handle on this. Reassigned to Jeff.
- CAS-5743 (Oct): 4.2 item. spectral viewer - once right mouse button was used, left mouse won't work anymore. RTT again (r28657), pending a new cassapy-test. Tester: Tony. Testing done. Mostly seems to work, but some questions raised for developers. Actually fixed as written. However, a few other issues have cropped up (and spawned tickets accordingly), and an "RTT" fix has been committed for some of these that needs to be tested.
- CAS-5379 - Subtle inconsistencies with other programs in Galactic Coordinates (Adam and Harvey). In a nutshell, shifts of ~0.2" are seen when taking data into other packages (e.g. DS9, IDL which both seem to agree with each other). It is unclear yet if this is an incorrect implementation in one or more packages, or possibly just a precision error. This is a subtle issue, and has been pushed back to 4.3. Ticket stalled? Needs to be looked at by someone with lots of time. To be left as-is for now.
- CAS-4716 (Jun): Split (I think) may have a frequency problem when all channels are averaged. Input required from Ed (is this still even an issue?). No news.
- CAS-5790 (Nov): plotms needs ability to iterate and color by time. Input Required from Steve. No news.
- CAS-5780 (Nov): Regridding a VLA image onto a GBT image fails to generate the expected warning message. Input Required from Adam. No news.
- CAS-962 (Nov): there should be a facility (task and/or tool) to convolve/cross-correlate two images along one axis (e.g. channel). Input Required from Steve. Passed to Jeff. Ties specsmooth and imsmooth together. Jeff to write up his discussions with Steve.
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). had been "On Hold" since August, awaiting data. Switched to Input Required and passed to Crystal for comment. Bumped back to 4.3. To be placed "On Hold" until further notice.
- CAS-5215 (Sep 2013): cant fit without spectral axis. Input Required from Remy. Moved to be subtask of CAS-6124. Adam to review this ticket, probably close it, and raise the issue elsewhere as appropriate.
- CAS-5162 (Sep 2013): Improvements in flagging documentation and examples. Input Required from Science (via Jeff). No news.
- CAS-4639 (Mar 2013): Overplot plotWeather and ATM on plotMS. Input Required from Steve. On hold until overplot capabilities are implemented.
- CAS-3666 split on spws gives errors for different correlation shapes. Blocker. Got stuck On Hold, but is causing problems for the VLA pipeline now, so needs to be fixed. Currently assigned to Jeff, who will continue testing.
- CAS-5806 Mathematical prediction of post-gridding single dish beam. Blocker. Developer has done some modelling, but... ? This is a "blocker of a different kind..." High priority, but not a blocker for the 4.2 release (but blocking further development).
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. Blocker. Re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this still affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8. Debugging code pops up for all, though. This will be left as-is until CASA 4.2 for OS X becomes available.
- CAS-3476 Reporting of uncertainties in IMFIT. Blocker. Currently On Hold. Related to CAS-5879 (see above). Reassigned from Ed to Brian M., who has duly provided comments. Left "On Hold", pending resolution of CAS-5879. Brian has replied to this, and has asked for a developer response. He also thinks that there is an error seen in the flux error bars.
- CAS-6020 (Jan 2014): 4.2 item. viewer - cross talk between animators. ARTT. Fix was r27981. Tester was to be Sarah, but it has already been found to work on Linux, so passed to Juergen to be included in the OS X (10.7 and 10.8) check-out.
- Also, Mac OS X 10.7 Qt stuff: CAS-4310, 4602. Need to wait to assess the OS X CASA 4.2 package.
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not normally be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
"ARTT" Items Pending Tester Assignment
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire. On Hold (since August 2013) and assigned to Kumar pending class refactoring.
- CAS-5431 (Dec): slicing in frequency selection throws exception. Set to Input Required and passed back to dev. Tester: Kumar. Jeff: Jim was to update the docs. Anything else to be done?
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
Not Yet Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5348 (Feb/Mar 2014): 4.2 item, but to be included post-release. New VI/Vb framework crashes when accessing virtual MODEL_DATA column. Subtask of CAS-4901. Currently RTT, pending inclusion post-4.2 release. Tester: TBD. Jeff: Is a user tester needed for this one? To be removed from subsequent agendas, as this is a developer-targeted ticket.
- CAS-5972 (Dec): testing ticket for imsmooth::commonbeam RTT - most recent commit was r27803. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. See imsmooth discussion above. Tester: TBD. Tester: Juergen. This item is now ARTT.
- CAS-6179 (Feb): Make a wrapper of hanningsmooth to use the MSTransform framework. RTT (r28604), pending a new testing package. Ticket parked with Mark R. for now. Tester: TBD. Currently "RTT". Nathan to test.
- CAS-6022 (Feb): imview fails if the range key of the raster dictionary is specified as float64 rather than float. RTT (r28583), pending a new testing package. Ticket parked with Mark R. for now. Tester: TBD. Currently RTT. Todd to test.
- CAS-6185 (Feb): viewer doesn't work when not in own directory. RTT (r28572), pending a new testing package. Ticket parked with Mark R. for now. Tester: TBD. RTT, but not ready yet.
- CAS-5844 (Dec 2013): imsmooth specification and testing targets. See also its subtasks. See list of Action Items above. Currently Open. Not ready yet.
- CAS-5849 (Feb): implement spectral smoothing functions at task level. Subtask of CAS-5844. *RTT", pending a new testing package. Parked with Mark R. for now. Tester: TBD
- CAS-6038 (Jan): toolkit inline help now producing unreadable output. Currently (A)RTT. Ticket with Mark R. ?
- CAS-21 Support for complex images in image tool. Status: Open, but with multiple "RTT" subtasks: Jeff to take all of these to Preshanth.
- CAS-6090 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 1. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6103 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 2. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6117 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 3. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6123 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 4. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6128 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 5. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6146 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 6. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
- CAS-6155 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 7. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: Preshanth
See below "assigned" SD list.
Already Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5764 (Oct): 4.3(?) item. casafeather: add scaling to LowXHigh, weighted. Set back to Open again and passed back to the developer. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-2627 (Long ago...): importvla does not properly fill (older?) doppler-tracked data. Set back to Open. Passed to Jeff for reassignment to a new developer.
- CAS-5731 (Oct): Loading DS9 region files into the viewer produces a warning and does not load. Open; 4.3 item. Tester: Jen.
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Latest fix was (r27422). Currently Open; bumped to 4.3. Tester: Kristina (in discussion with Laura). Docs updates suggested. Jeff: please review priority of this item? Jeff will look at this to help Kristina. may result in more related tickets being spawned.
- CAS-5701 (Nov): msmd needs a method to get the integration time. Currently Open. Tester: Todd. Works as advertised, but needs further improvement (better handling of pol ID). Raised to "Critical" status.
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still waiting on data; unlikely to be fully tested before release. Ticket is with Steve now. Have recently been in the process of doing tests on the VLA with some data scanning across bright sources. Kunal to test this when ready to invoke the imaging. Eric Villard is also looking at this now for ALMA. Additional suitable ALMA data taken this month.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently set to "Ready To Test" and assigned to Tony, so that he can try it with both the M100 and Orion datasets. Lots of comments provided by John Lightfoot. A meeting has taken place on this, and it is an ongoing development topic. Ongoing development will be target of 4.3 Cycle. Crystal says that this will need significant effort and someone assigned to work with the developers for a while. Developer to work on the C++ and clean libraries. Moved to On Hold. Requires significant science tester input.
- CAS-5125 (Jul): Make frequency an axis display option (in the viewer). Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Tested. Needs more work and so ticket back to dev. Bumped back to 4.3.
- CAS-3517 (Aug): Improve remapping interface (Cal libraries). Currently Open again. Tester: Steve. Some testing done, recommendations made, ticket back with developer. Discussion ongoing. Further callibrary work to be pushed out to 4.3 in Jira. Developer pinged for a reply.
- CAS-5738 (Nov): slice cut is not visible. Open again, following testing input from Juergen. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-4663 (Oct 2012): specfit components/prompt/inf. *Open" again, following input from Juergen.
- impv tickets
- CAS-5975 (Dec): impv: Support specifying input slice width as a world (angular) measure. RTT - most recent commit was r27897. 4.3 item. Tester: Juergen. Tester does not seem to be able to get this to work? Developer consulted.
- CAS-5127 (May): Document ia toolkit methods. Status In Progress. Mark is working on this. Most of Juergen's prioritized list of 26 items has been done. Dates to be added his future documentation updates. Prioritized by Mark. Ongoing. ia.regrid docs will require more work. Still needs code commits. Mark waiting on OS X 10.8 build. Will effectively now have to be bumped until after 4.2 release, due to OS X-based build issues.
- CAS-4735 (Nov): imsmooth needs additional option for single dish use. RTT. Tester: TBD. Ticket with Bunyo. Critical item. Code committed to trunk. 4.3 item.
- CAS-5858 (Nov/Dec): field section parameter in SD tasks should accept multiple fields selection by field IDs and names. Should be ARTT by now in current pre-release. Passed to Bunyo for testing. 4.3 item.
- CAS-5841 (Dec): Make the scan numbers between scantable, asdm, and MS consistent. Currently ARTT. 4.3 item. Tester TBD. Ticket with Bunyo.
- CAS-6121 (Jan): sdgrid: 4.3 item. Latitude value in resulting scantable is reversed. RTT. Tester: TBD, Ticket with Bunyo.
- CAS-5842 (Jan): 4.3 item. Make sd.splitant available in sdsave. RTT. Tester: TBD. Ticket with Wataru, but Bunyo may reassign.
- CAS-6181: SD processing needs to incorporate data weights. Currently Open. Previously indentified as an important ticket to track.
- CAS-6168: enable plotter2 to change viewport size. Currently RTT (ASAP r2895), pending the next casapy-test. Passed to Bunyo for reassignment, but should probably go to Takeshi or Shinnosuke for testing.
- List of many other new 4.3 SD items all currently set to RTT, all assigned to EA for testing; subtasks of CAS-5526: Re-design single dish task interfaces:
- CAS-5843, CAS-5857, CAS-5858, CAS-5489, CAS-5859, CAS-5860, CAS-5861, CAS-5862, CAS-5863, CAS-5864, CAS-5865, CAS-5866, CAS-5867, CAS-5868, CAS-5869, CAS-5870, CAS-5871, CAS-5872 CAS-5876, CAS-6189. Mark R. to add all of these to the 4.3 spreadsheet