CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2014-02-11, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
NOTE: This meeting had been postponed from the previous week.
Mark R., Jeff, Steve, Crystal, Juergen, Tony R., Jen, Remy, Brian M., Arielle, Mark L.
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 126.96.36.199
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 188.8.131.52
Minutes (Main Points Only)
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets, but excluding Pipeline) prior to meeting: 83.
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) following meeting: ??.
- 4.2.0 release version now available (on RPMs only) for Linux. Mac OS X 10.7 is currently undergoing automated testing.
- If you are on a Red Hat 5 machine, you can access older versions via the '-r' option, e.g. 'casapy -r4.1.0'
- If you are on Red Hat 6 and need CASA 4.1, run it from here: /home/casa/packages/RHEL5/release/casapy-41.0.24668-001-64b/casapy
- First 4.3 test package currently being worked on.
- Mark will send out a notification when it is testable.
Main Points Raised and Any Other Business
- Aim is to make a major push on 4.3 user testing in the second half of February to clear backlog.
- imsmooth discussion needs to take place.
- OS X 4.2.0 package testing to be done:
- Plotms tests (versus time, freq, etc.). No exhaustive testing. Make a box, try to zoom, try to locate.
- Juergen will do 10.7.5 tests, Mark R will do 10.8.4 tests.
- Test imview, save png file.
- Make sure that casaviewer from command line works same as within CASA.
- Test a reduction script on TDM?
- Interactive clean
Action Items Arising
- Discussion of imsmooth needs to be scheduled. Should include Adam, Remy and Mark R.
- OS X testing (see above)
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During Meetings
Ready to Close Items
- CAS-5110 (May): big pixels in ia.regrid. Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Remy provided some recommendations. Some additional work done by developer (r26985). ARTT in current package. Will probably be released "as is", so ticket now flagged as a 4.3 item. Adam will check that the rules included do work. Ticket passed to Adam accordingly. Close to done. Just awaiting confirmation from Adam that this has been done.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-5335(Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. Critical item. Currently listed as "Open". Parked with Mark. The two blocker aspects (CAS-5589, perceived issue with region sizes) have now been addressed by the developers, subject to positive testing feedback.
- CAS-5572 (Sep): Test fix for circles and ellipses when image has non-square pixels. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy. Some recent comments on this from Josh. Maybe needs input from Science and/or a docs update. Tony will talk to Amy about the testing of this.
- CAS-5725 (Oct): 4.2 item. Testing of bug fix for non-J2000 coordinates and centered rectangles Current testing status unknown. Tony will talk to Amy about the testing of this.
- CAS-5760 (Oct/Nov): casafeather: zoom in scatter plot does not reveal points. ARTT in the current package (check-in was r27144). Tester: Juergen Ticket pinged for an update. Would like to resolve, or bump to 4.3 if necessary. Feedback given by Juergen - just one issue remaining. Set back to open and passed back to developer accordingly.
- CAS-5172 (Jun): Add capability for fftshift to regridding portion of MSTransform. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Juergen's done some testing of this (but Adam could perhaps help if necessary). Some follow-up work done by the developers ARTT again now. Dialogue between tester and developer ongoing. More testing to be done. Tester: Juergen.
Single Dish (to be skipped during the meeting)
- CAS-5338 (Jul/Nov): Update single dish flagging task interface (sdflag2). Currently ARTT again in the pre-release. Tester: Eric Villard. Overdue for tester feedback - ticket pinged.
- CAS-5139 (Sep): Proper handling of flag information in sideband separation algorithm. Subtask of CAS-1756. Currently ARTT; 4.2 item. Assigned to Daniel Espada. Noted on ticket as a low testing priority, but it would be nice to be able to resolve it if it works. (Moved down here to SD section during meeting).
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
- CAS-4754 MSTransform (with subtasks): Lots of testing done. MSTransform marked as "experimental" in the 4.2 release. Speed sometimes not faster than split, but not horribly slow. Just keep an eye on performance for now - no corrective action needed. Keepflags option still missing - to be part of 4.3. No subtasks currently needing user testing.
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Currently ARTT Will be released for 4.2 "as is". Testing done by Steve, but still inconclusive. Being tested by Preshanth.
- CAS-5730 (Oct): 4.2 item. plotms does not plot negative amplitudes as negative values. r27045. Tester: Ed F. Ed thinks this issue has been fixed, but if he can't confirm this ticket should be reassigned to Arielle.
- CAS-5848 (Dec 2013): 4.3. enhancements for imsmooth. Input Required from Science (via Mark R.). Subtask of CAS-5844. See list of Action Items above.
- CAS-5844 (Dec 2013): imsmooth specification and testing targets. See also its subtasks. See list of Action Items above.
- CAS-5738 (Nov): slice cut is not visible. Input Required in current package (will go back to "Open" when input has been provided). Fix: r27370. Tester: Juergen. Some fixes put in and work in trunk, but additional issues have arisen. Input required from Science on exactly what this feature is supposed to do. It occurs differently in two places! Urvashi reports this as now fixed in the trunk, so set to "Ready To Test" in Jira so that Juergen can just confirm that all is well in casapy-test.
- CAS-5790 (Nov): plotms needs ability to iterate and color by time. Input Required from Steve. Ticket passed to him.
- CAS-5780 (Nov): Regridding a VLA image onto a GBT image fails to generate the expected warning message. Input Required from Adam. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-962 (Nov): there should be a facility (task and/or tool) to convolve/cross-correlate two images along one axis (e.g. channel). Input Required from Steve. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-5752 (Oct 2013): spectral plotter: legend does not turn on again after turning off. Input Required from Juergen. Resolved as fixed.
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). had been "On Hold" since August, awaiting data. Switched to Input Required and passed to Crystal for comment. Bumped back to 4.3.
- CAS-5215 (Sep 2013): cant fit without spectral axis. Input Required from Remy. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-5162 (Sep 2013): Improvements in flagging documentation and examples. Input Required from Science (via Jeff).
- CAS-4639 (Mar 2013): Overplot plotWeather and ATM on plotMS. Input Required from Steve.
- CAS-4663 (Oct 2012): specfit components/prompt/inf. Input Required from Juergen. Juergen to schedule a discussion for this.
See also list of upcoming items still to be assigned below.
- CAS-3666 split on spws gives errors for different correlation shapes. Blocker. Got stuck On Hold, but is causing problems for the VLA pipeline now, so needs to be fixed. Currently assigned to Jeff. Jeff to continue testing.
- CAS-5806 Mathematical prediction of post-gridding single dish beam. Blocker. Developer has done some modelling, but... ? This is a "blocker of a different kind..." High priority, but not a blocker for the 4.2 release (but blocking further development).
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. Blocker. Re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this still affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8. Debugging code pops up for all, though. Will leave as-is until CASA 4.2 for OS X available.
- CAS-3476 Reporting of uncertainties in IMFIT. Blocker. Currently On Hold. Related to CAS-5879 (below). Currently assigned to Ed F. Reassigned to Brian M. Left "On Hold", pending resolution of CAS-5879.
- CAS-5699 problem in dictionary returned by fluxscale in latest casapy-test #26688. Currently Open. Not seen recently - being monitored. Currently assigned to developer.
- Also, Mac OS X 10.7 Qt stuff: CAS-4310, 4602.
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not normally be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
"ARTT" Items Pending Tester Assignment
- CAS-6043 impv does not work. (A)RTT. Earlier r28165 & 28166 fix in the 4.2 release branch; later (better) r28197 fix in 4.3. Tester: TBD (perhaps Crystal?). Tester: Juergen
- CAS-6020 (Jan 2014): 4.2 item. viewer - cross talk between animators. ARTT. Fix was r27981. Tester: TBD (but probably Remy or one of the DAs). Tester: was to be Sarah, but it has already been found to work on Linux, so passed to Juergen to be included in his OS X 10.7 check-out.
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire. On Hold (since August 2013) and assigned to Kumar pending class refactoring.
- CAS-5431 (Dec): slicing in frequency selection throws exception. Set to Input Required and passed back to dev. Tester: Kumar. Jeff: Jim was to update the docs. Anything else to be done?
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
Not Yet Assigned To Testers
- CAS-6073 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. Improve line overlay behavior (in viewer). Currently RTT (r28486). Tester: TBD. NOTE: Item flagged by Crystal post-meeting.
- CAS-3532 (Sep): Incorporation of Alma Primary Beam in Mosaic. Currently ARTT. Needs tester assigning. Ticket currently with Juergen. Was a 4.2 item; unassigned since November. To be assigned to Scott to oversee - needs a cleaned 12-m mosaic image to be generated and compared with using the old beam model. Kartik may have something suitable.
- CAS-5720 (Oct): 4.2 item. change tooltip for new histogram functionality tool. ARTT. Tester: TBD. (Data analyst?) Tester: Paul (eventually). Switched to "Input Required" and passed to Crystal, so that she and Adam can comment on preferred behavior.
- CAS-5745 (Oct): 4.2 item(?) regions in plotms disappear when the locate button is pressed. ARTT. r27104. Tester: TBD. (DA?) Tester: Paul
- CAS-5732 (Oct): 4.2 item. casa viewer gaussfit button in region menu doesn't work. (A)RTT. Tester: TBD. (Data analyst?) Tester: Sarah
- CAS-5743 (Oct): 4.2 item. spectral viewer - once right mouse button was used, left mouse won't work anymore. ARTT. Tester: TBD. (Data analyst?) Tester: Tony
- CAS-5741 (Oct): 4.2 item. viewer crash after switching order then make one image contour. ARTT. Tester: TBD. (Data analyst?) Tester: Sarah
- CAS-5022 (Jan 2014): Refactor MSMetaDataOnDemand into MSMetaData. Currently ARTT; ideally 4.2, practically probably 4.3. Ideally, all msmd methods should be tested to ensure no bugs have been introduced. Ticket currently parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD. Crystal to talk to Todd. This ticket to be given a month, if no problems are reported, it will be resolved as done.
- CAS-5879 (Dec): 4.3 item. include pixel rms in imfit fitting. RTT. Committed to trunk as r27674. Ticket parked with Mark for now. Tester TBD. Tester: Claire. See also update for CAS-3476 (above).
- CAS-5836 (Nov): 4.3 item. Create new task imrebin. RTT. Commit to trunk as r27427. Probably a fairly high priority for testing, as there will almost certainly be a need to iterate on this. Ticket parked with Mark for now. Tester: Adam and/or Remy? Tester: Remy (with Adam if possible)
- CAS-6113 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. When exporting a file in the Spectral Profiler, a txt file is created, even when fits or plt file is specified. RTT. Fix: r28483. Tester: TBD. Tester: Sarah, in consultation with Tony. Some additional features to be checked at the same time.
- CAS-6170 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. testing ticket for ia.decimate(). RTT Tester: TBD. Tester: Nathan, consulting Adam if need be. Should be a subtask of CAS-5849, but Jira does not permit sub-subtasks.
- CAS-6037 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. Cursors dock widget remains blank when an image is opened in one particular way. RTT r28378. Tester: TBD Tester: Paul. Once fixed, needs to be patched into 4.2 for NRAO summer school.
- CAS-4976 (Feb 2014): 4.3 item. plotms should provide a truly non-interactive mode for batch use. RTT. r28475. Tester: TBD. Tester: Paul.
- CAS-5348 (Feb/Mar 2014): 4.2 item, but to be included post-release. New VI/Vb framework crashes when accessing virtual MODEL_DATA column. Subtask of CAS-4901. Currently RTT, pending inclusion post-4.2 release. Tester: TBD.
- CAS-5733 (Jan 2014): 4.2/4.3 item. gaussfit FWHM plots circles that are too big. Latest fix (for rotation) was r20811. RTT. Tester: TBD (Brian M. or Arielle?) Tester: Arielle
- CAS-5972 (Dec): testing ticket for imsmooth::commonbeam RTT - most recent commit was r27803. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. Tester: TBD. See imsmooth discussion above.
- impv tickets
- CAS-5975 (Dec): impv: Support specifying input slice width as a world (angular) measure. RTT - most recent commit was r27897. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. Tester: TBD (perhaps Juergen?). Tester: Juergen
- CAS-5974 (Dec): impv: impv: support for supplying a center world coordinate and position angle. RTT - most recent commit was r27980. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. Tester: TBD. Tester: Juergen
- CAS-5973 (Dec): impv: add support for start/end pixel to be specified in world coordinates. RTT - most recent commit was r27890. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. Tester: TBD. Tester: Juergen
- See also 4.3 fix for CAS-6043 (above).
- CAS-21 Support for complex images in image tool. Status: Open, but with multiple "RTT" subtasks: Jeff to take all of these to Preshanth.
- CAS-6090 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 1. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6103 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 2. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6117 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 3. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6123 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 4. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6128 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 5. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6146 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 6. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-6155 (Jan 2014): Complex valued images testing ticket 7. Currently RTT. Parked with Mark R. Tester: TBD Jeff to take this to Preshanth.
- CAS-4735 (Nov): imsmooth needs additional option for single dish use. RTT. Tester: TBD. parked with Mark R. for now. Critical item. Code committed to trunk. 4.3 item.
- CAS-5858 (Nov/Dec): field section parameter in SD tasks should accept multiple fields selection by field IDs and names. Should be ARTT by now in current pre-release. Passed to Bunyo for testing. 4.3 item.
- CAS-5841 (Dec): Make the scan numbers between scantable, asdm, and MS consistent. Currently ARTT. 4.3 item. Tester TBD. (Moved down to SD section following meeting)
- CAS-6121 (Jan): sdgrid: 4.3 item. Latitude value in resulting scantable is reversed. RTT. Tester: TBD, Parked with Mark R. for now.
- CAS-5842 (Jan): 4.3 item. Make sd.splitant available in sdsave. RTT. Tester: TBD.
- List of many other new 4.3 SD items all currently set to RTT, all subtasks of CAS-5526: Re-design single dish task interfaces:
- CAS-5843, CAS-5857, CAS-5858, CAS-5859, CAS-5860, CAS-5861, CAS-5862, CAS-5863, CAS-5864, CAS-5865, CAS-5866, CAS-5867, CAS-5868, CAS-5869, CAS-5870, CAS-5871, CAS-5872 CAS-5876. Mark R. to add all of these to the 4.3 spreadsheet
- CAS-6181: SD processing needs to incorporate data weights. Currently Open. Crystal noted this as an important ticket to track.
Already Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5757 (Nov): 4.3(?) item. casafeather has not low weight selectable. RTT. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-5758 (Nov): 4.3(?) item. casafeather: the low convolved, and weighted needs to include the 'scaled' label. RTT. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-5759 (Nov): 4.3(?) item. logarithmic axes need logarithmic lables of units in feather. RTT. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-5766 (Oct): 4.3(?) item. casafeather: weighted dirty is usign the wrong weighting function. RTT. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-5764 (Oct): 4.3(?) item. casafeather: add scaling to LowXHigh, weighted. RTT. Tester: Juergen.
- CAS-5731 (Oct): Loading DS9 region files into the viewer produces a warning and does not load. Open; 4.3 item. Tester: Jen.
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Latest fix was (r27422). Currently Open; bumped to 4.3. Tester: Kristina (in discussion with Laura). Docs updates suggested.
- CAS-5701 (Nov): msmd needs a method to get the integration time. Currently Open. Tester: Todd. Works as advertised, but needs further improvement (better handling of pol ID), which will be a 4.3 item.
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still waiting on data; unlikely to be fully tested before release. Ticket is with Steve now. Have recently been in the process of doing tests on the VLA with some data scanning across bright sources. Kunal to test this when ready to invoke the imaging. Eric Villard is also looking at this now for ALMA.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently set to "Ready To Test" and assigned to Tony, so that he can try it with both the M100 and Orion datasets. Lots of comments provided by John Lightfoot. A meeting has taken place on this, and it is an ongoing development topic. Ongoing development will be target of 4.3 Cycle. Question: Set back to "Open"?
- CAS-5125 (Jul): Make frequency an axis display option (in the viewer). Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Tested. Needs more work and so ticket back to dev. Bumped back to 4.3.
- CAS-5379 - Subtle inconsistencies with other programs in Galactic Coordinates (Adam and Harvey). In a nutshell, shifts of ~0.2" are seen when taking data into other packages (e.g. DS9, IDL which both seem to agree with each other). It is unclear yet if this is an incorrect implementation in one or more packages, or possibly just a precision error. This is a subtle issue, and has been pushed back to 4.3.
- CAS-3517 (Aug): Improve remapping interface (Cal libraries). Currently Open again. Tester: Steve. Some testing done, recommendations made, ticket back with developer. Discussion ongoing. Further callibrary work to be pushed out to 4.3 in Jira.
- CAS-5744 (Oct/Nov): jump to channel not persistent in spectral viewer. 4.3 item. Commit to trunk as r27460. Juergen to test.
- CAS-5746 (Oct): 4.2 item(?). an existing window should be brought to foreground when requested again. r27105. Juergen to test.
- CAS-5712 (Oct): mstransform does not slice WEIGHT column when correlation selection non-trivial. RTT. Tester: George. Blocker. Some progress made, bugfix committed to trunk. 4.3 item.
- CAS-6038 (Feb 2014): 4,2/4.3 item. toolkit inline help now producing unreadable output. RTT. Tester: Mark R.
- impv tickets:
- CAS-5962 (Dec): typo in the output from imfit. RTT for 4.3. Mark R. to test.
- CAS-5418 (Dec): XML markup in inline tools documentation is not always parsed correctly. (A)RTT for 4.2/4.3. r28452. Mark R. to test.
- CAS-5127 (May): Document ia toolkit methods. Status In Progress. Mark is working on this. Most of Juergen's prioritized list of 26 items has been done. Dates to be added his future documentation updates. Prioritized by Mark. Ongoing. ia.regrid docs will require more work. Still needs code commits. Mark waiting on OS X 10.8 build. Will effectively now have to be bumped until after 4.2 release, due to OS X-based build issues.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform subtasks:
- CAS-5581 - Test of MSTransform capabilities in combination. ARTT. Most recent commit was r26622 - now in latest casapy-test. Currently being tested by Anita Richards and Steve. Seems to work, albeit with caveats. Proposed documentation changes given in ticket. Regarded as "Effectively feature complete as for the 4.2 release, with remaining issues to be addressed in 4.3."
- CAS-6105 (Jan): sdmath description contains typo. 4.3 item. RTT; r28294. Mark R. to test.