CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2014-01-14, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
NOTE: This meeting had been postponed from the previous week.
Mark R., Jeff, Steve, Juergen, Adam, Arielle, Anand (for Tony), Mark L., Jen, Scott, Crystal, Nuria, Remy, Kristina
Apologies: To be added to as appropriate
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 220.127.116.11
- Charlottesville: Room 209; IP: 18.104.22.168 <- PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF ROOM!
Minutes (Main Points Only)
- 4.2.0 pre-release version 7 now available (on RPMs only). r27985 for Linux. Mac OS X 10.7 is currently undergoing automated testing.
- Changes since last casapy-prerelease:
- asap: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/branches/release-4_2_0/asap up to r27720
- casacore: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/branches/release-4_2_0/casacore up to r27611
- code: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/branches/release-4_2_0/code up to r27982
- gcwrap: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/branches/release-4_2_0/gcwrap up to r27981
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) prior to meeting: 96, with 31 flagged as "Fix for Release 4.2".
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) following meeting: 84, with 25 flagged as "Fix for Release 4.2".
- All remaining 4.2 testing should be done on the pre-release branch
- Launch with "casapy -r4.2.0" or "casa -r4.2.0" on RHEL5 systems (including CV cluster)
- Launch with "casapy-prerelease" or "casa-prerelease" on RHEL6 systems
Main Points Raised and Any Other Business
- NAASC current priority is data reduction over CASA testing, but the imminent February shutdown may change this.
- Juergen invites user tester comments regarding input and improvements to the cookbook.
- Tony and the Data Analysts were to perform CASA Guide updates as soon as they have a usable pre-release package to work against. Should be just about done?
- Mark L. had previously drawn attention to open ticket CAS-5883: Feather seems to fail for data having per-plane beams.
- imsmooth discussion needs to take place.
- Mark R.'s main conclusion from today's meeting: the remaining 4.2 pre-release blockers are "just" Mac OS X builds and remaining viewer problems.
- Forward planning: Mac OS X testing
- Does viewer work on 10.7.5 and 10.8.4?
- Contours with 2D
- Make spectra
- Interactive clean boxes
- Plotms tests (versus time, freq, etc.). No exhaustive testing. Make a box, try to zoom, try to locate.
- Juergen will do 10.7.5 tests, Mark R will do 10.8.4 tests
- Test imview, save png file.
- Make sure that casaviewer from command line works same as within CASA.
- Test a reduction script on TDM?
- Interactive clean
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During Meetings
Ready to Close Items
- CAS-5570 (Nov): immoments "min/max/median coordinate" operations yield wrong unit/value combination. ARTT in the current pre-release package (commit was r27402 to the pre-release). Tester: Adam. Some testing done by Mark - appears to work. Resolved as done.
- CAS-5778 (Oct): WCS in a GBT image crashes imstat. ARTT in current pre-release package. Tester: Adam. Follow-up check done by Mark: new code works as advertised, throwing a warning and handling the problem more gracefully. Resolved as done.
- CAS-5013 (Jul): "cvel handling of different sensitivity spw". ARTT in July stable+. Subtask of CAS-4754. Ticket passed to Anita in Europe as part of the general MSTransform testing effort there. Testing is ongoing: it mostly seems to work, but a few questions remain (covered in the parent ticket for combined MSTransform testing (CAS-5581). Remaining issue was covered in CAS-5581 (above). Resolved as done.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-5127 (May): Document ia toolkit methods. Status In Progress. Mark is working on this. Most of Juergen's prioritized list of 26 items has been done. Dates to be added his future documentation updates. Prioritized by Mark. Ongoing. ia.regrid docs will require more work. Still needs code commits. Mark waiting on OS X 10.8 build.
- CAS-5717 (Oct): Warning about Stokes axes regridding. ARTT in current pre-release package. Tester: Urvashi. Close to closing? Ticket pinged.
- CAS-5731 (Oct): Loading DS9 region files into the viewer produces a warning and does not load. ARTT in pre-current release package. Some testing previously done in private build, issue still appears to be present. Developer has been provided with an example by the tester.* Tester: Jen. Ticket pinged.
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Latest fix was (r27422). Currently ARTT in pre-release 5. Kristina to test (in discussion with Laura). Docs updates suggested; testing results provided, new bug found and reported. Set back to Open and passed back to the developer.
- CAS-5335 (Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. Blocker. Currently listed as "Open". Parked with Mark. The two blocker aspects (CAS-5589, perceived issue with region sizes) have now been addressed by the developers, subject to positive testing feedback - see below:
- CAS-5572 (Sep): Test fix for circles and ellipses when image has non-square pixels. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy. Some recent comments on this from Josh. Maybe needs input from Science and/or a docs update. Not a blocking issue in of itself. Ticket pinged again.
- CAS-5589 (Sep): Test cos(dec) fix to ensure region sizes are invariant upon shifts in dec. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy. Tested by Josh. Found to be a viewer-only issue, so set to Open and passed to appropriate developer.
- CAS-4938 (Sep/Oct): CLONE - mstransform on spws gives errors for different correlation shapes. RTT pending availability in a test package (most recent commit was r26929). Ticket back with Anita for now. tester: Anita. Steve has provided input to Anita on this issue: it's a valid correlator mode that needs to be supported. Justo's most recent fix (r27801) - a slicing workaround - is in pre-release 6+. Steve to run test.
- CAS-5767 (Nov): ia.regrid() fails in casa 4.2.0 (r27007), but works in casa 4.1.0 (r24668). ARTT in the current pre-release package (commit was r27163 to prerelease). Tester: Urvashi. Ticket pinged. Urvashi to look at this again this week-ish.
- CAS-5738 (Nov): slice cut is not visible. ARTT in current pre-release package. Fix: r27370. Tester: Juergen. Fixes plus issues reported by Urvashi to be checked. Not totally clear if testing done is of the right thing? Ticket pinged for follow-up. Juergen to look at this after the meeting.
- CAS-5781 (Nov): Viewer crashes while using 2D Fitting. ARTT in current pre-release package. Fix was r27231. Tester: Nuria. To be tackled as part of general viewer stability testing. looks like it works - propose to resolve? Tentatively resolved as fixed, following meeting.
- CAS-5735 (Nov): an antenna method of msmd should be able to filter by ALMA antenna type. RTT pending pre-release package 7. Tester: Todd. Some back and forth on this. Bug fix put in as r27842. The most recent fix should now be available in pre-release 7, so ARTT again. Tested by Mark R., shown to work and resolved as done.
- CAS-5793 (Oct): Interactive viewer in imager randomly fails. Sanjay was to test with his private build. ARTT in the current pre-release package. It was decided that this was no longer a blocker issue for the release. Sanjay to test in the pre-release. Steve will check in with Frazer et al.Steve to e-mail Frazer again
- CAS-5044 (Sep/Oct): Flagdata mode='clip' should allow WEIGHT as an option for datacolumn. Tester: Todd. ARTT (again) in the current pre-release package. Critical item: Identified as worthy of close 4.2 tracking by Jeff during a previous meeting. May need to be reassigned to another tester: Todd currently on science leave. Testing passed over to Jen
- CAS-5760 (Oct/Nov): casafeather: zoom in scatter plot does not reveal points. ARTT in the current pre-release package (check-in was r27144). Tester: Juergen Ticket pinged for an update. Juergen to look at this again following the meeting.
- CAS-5110 (May): big pixels in ia.regrid. Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Remy provided some recommendations. Some additional work done by developer (r26985). ARTT in current pre-release package. Will probably be released "as is". Adam will check that the rules included do work. Close to done. Adam to check this following the meeting.
- CAS-4081 (Aug): Create tool / view that allows management of open images and changing the image stack. Latest bugfix was r27923. RTT again, pending another pre-release package. Tester: Mark Lacy. Although the specific bugfix looks to be in pre-release 7, given the other related viewer changes recently, this one is to be tested in pre-release 8, so will be regarded as effectively "RTT" for now.
- CAS-5926(Dec): Spectral profile tool state resets to default upon registering/unregistering/loading/etc. Crystal had identified this as an item for concern. Mark Rawlings has tested this item. Bottom axis now retains its selected setting, left axis does not. Behavior has improved. To be retested in pre-release 8, so is regarded as effectively "RTT" again for now.
- CAS-5139 (Sep): Proper handling of flag information in sideband separation algorithm. Subtask of CAS-1756. Currently ARTT. Assigned to Daniel Espada. Noted on ticket as a low testing priority. Meh.
- CAS-5925 - spectral profile tool should ignore single channel images. Currently RTT. Back-included into 4.2 pre-release. To be added to spreadsheet. Tested following the meeting and found to be fixed as part of CAS-6011, so resolved as done.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform subtasks: Lots of testing done. time averaging stuff being tested now. MSTransform will be marked as "experimental" in the 4.2 release. Enhanced split and cvel subtasks currently "(A)RTT". Some general mstransform discussion. Testing seems to be going well. Last of Justo's feature commits now in. Speed sometimes not faster than split, but not horribly slow. Just keep an eye on performance for now - no corrective action needed. Keepflags option still missing - to be part of 4.3.
- CAS-4849 (Oct): Enhanced Split Capabilities: Time Averaging. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test (26919+). Some caveats in ticket. Tester Anita. Ticket has gone a bit quiet. To be moved to "release as is." User testing covered in other tickets. Set back to "Open" to be closed out by developers.
- CAS-4850 (Oct): Enhanced Split Capabilities: Baseline Dependent Time Averaging. Currently ARTT in current casapy-test (26919+). Some caveats in ticket. Tester Anita. Hopefully close to done? To be moved to "release as is. User testing covered in other tickets. Set back to "Open" to be closed out by developers."
Single Dish (to be skipped during the meeting)
- CAS-4772 (Mar): Implement Tsys calibration task. ARTT in current pre-release package. Tester: Shinya. Close to done. Needs a documentation update, and will spawn a separate ticket for a separate, identified issue.
- CAS-5496 (Sep): sdflag2: enable data selection by time range. Fix put in. ARTT in current pre-release package. Tester: Daniel Espada. Bugfix seems to work, just needs user to test with suggested syntax. Close to done.
- CAS-4141 (May): SD: Sideband separation algorithm for DSB receivers. Input required from dev on change in peak flux. Tested and appears to work well otherwise. in current pre-release package. Tester: Shinya. Close to done.
- CAS-5338 (Jul/Nov): Update single dish flagging task interface (sdflag2). Currently ARTT again in the pre-release. Tester: Eric Villard. Overdue for tester feedback - ticket pinged.
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
"ARTT" Items Pending Tester Assignment
To be added to
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). On Hold since August. Awaiting data.
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire. Currently On Hold and assigned to Kumar pending class refactoring.
- CAS-5431 (Dec): slicing in frequency selection throws exception. Set to Input Required and passed back to dev. Tester: Kumar. Jeff: Jim was to update the docs. Anything else to be done?
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
- CAS-5022 (Jan): Refactor MSMetaDataOnDemand into MSMetaData. Currently RTT, pending a testable version. Ideally, all msmd methods should be tested to ensure no bugs have been introduced. Ticket currently with Mark R. Tester: TBD
- CAS-5944 multiple spectra w unit=flux only shows one spectrum. Blocker. Discussion ongoing with Remy. Latest fix (for mean -> flux density problem) was r28003. Now RTT, pending pre-release 8. Needs a tester assigning.
Not Yet Assigned To Testers
To be added to as appropriate
Already Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5172 (Jun): Add capability for fftshift to regridding portion of MSTransform. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Juergen's done some testing of this, but Adam could help if necessary. Some follow-up work done by the developers (r26435). Set back to Open. Tester: Juergen. Justo thinks the issue seen is with the dataset, not fftshift. Comment from Juergen needed?
- CAS-6032 Interactive clean box creation seems to fail. Blocker. New item.
- CAS-6010 Serious Viewer registration issue in the 4.2 prerelease. Blocker. New item. Subsequently tested by Crystal under pre-release 7 and found to be fixed. Resolved accordingly.
- CAS-6011 Serious Viewer spectral tool issue in the 4.2 prerelease. Blocker. New item. Subsequently tested by Crystal and Mark under pre-release 7 and found to be fixed. Resolved accordingly.
- CAS-5986 spectral viewer units wrong for multiple cubes. Blocker. Discussion ongoing as to how to handle this for 4.2. Fix appears to to work on trunk - still needs to be committed to pre-release. Needs to be fixed, or Kelvin taken out of release. Jeff to talk to developer.
- CAS-5806 Mathematical prediction of post-gridding single dish beam. Blocker. Developer has done some modelling, but... ? This is a "blocker of a different kind..." High priority, but not a blocker for the 4.2 release.
- CAS-5724 applycal w/ calwt=F does not reset weights. Blocker. Steve was to talk to George about this. What it actually does now should be documented (and the documentation available from the right place). Ticket pinged. Documentation needs to clearly indicate that if calwt = T for Tsys, it now makes sure it doesnt change the weights if applycal is run multiple times. Juergen to talk to George, and translate the gist to something more user-friendly in the documentation. Ticket passed to Juergen accordingly.
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. Blocker. Re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this still affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8. Debugging code pops up for all, though.
- Also, Mac OS X 10.7 Qt stuff: CAS-4310, 4602.
4.2 Release "As Is" Items
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Currently ARTT Will be released "as is". Testing done by Steve, but still inconclusive.
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still waiting on data; unlikely to be fully tested before release. Ticket's with Steve now. Have recently been in the process of doing tests on the VLA with some data scanning across bright sources. Kunal to test this when ready to invoke the imaging. Eric Villard is also looking at this now.
- CAS-5581 - Test of MSTransform capabilities in combination. ARTT. Most recent commit was r26622 - now in latest casapy-test. Currently being tested by Anita Richards and Steve. Seems to work, albeit with caveats. Proposed documentation changes given in ticket. To be marked as "Effectively feature complete as for the 4.2 release, with remaining issues to be addressed in 4.3."
Items Descoped from CASA 4.2 / 4.3 items
- CAS-5701 (Nov): msmd needs a method to get the integration time. ARTT in the current pre-release package. Fix: r7356. Tester: Todd. Tested by Todd. Works as advertised, but needs further improvement (better handling of pol ID, which I assume will be a 4.3 improvement.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently set to "Ready To Test" and assigned to Tony, so that he can try it with both the M100 and Orion datasets. Lots of comments provided by John Lightfoot. A meeting has taken place on this, and it is an ongoing development topic. Ongoing development will be target of 4.3 Cycle.
- CAS-5125 (Jul): Make frequency an axis display option (in the viewer). Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Tested. Needs more work and so ticket back to dev. Pinged Oct. 22nd: possibly deprecated? Will probably not now make it into the 4.2 release.
- CAS-5379 - Subtle inconsistencies with other programs in Galactic Coordinates (Adam and Harvey). In a nutshell, shifts of ~0.2" are seen when taking data into other packages (e.g. DS9, IDL which both seem to agree with each other). It is unclear yet if this is an incorrect implementation in one or more packages, or possibly just a precision error. This is a subtle issue, and has been pushed back to 4.3.
- CAS-3517 (Aug): Improve remapping interface (Cal libraries). Currently ARTT in casapy-test r26325+. Tester: Steve. Some testing done, recommendations made. Discussion ongoing. Further callibrary work to be pushed out to 4.3 in Jira.
- CAS-5836 (Nov): 4.3 item. Create new task imrebin. Commit to trunk as r27427. Ticket parked with Mark for now. Tester: Adam and/or Remy?
- CAS-5744 (Oct/Nov): 4.3 item. jump to channel not persistent in spectral viewer. Commit to trunk as r27460. Juergen to test.
- CAS-5879 (Dec): 4.3 item. include pixel rms in imfit fitting. Committed to trunk as r27674. Ticket parked with Mark for now.
- CAS-5926 (Dec): 4.3 item (I think). spectral profile tool state resets to default upon registering/unregistering/loading/etc. Ticket left parked with developer for now. Fix: r27709.
- CAS-3532 (Sep): Incorporation of Alma Primary Beam in Mosaic. Currently ARTT. Needs tester assigning. Ticket currently with Juergen. Also, Mark to check documentation.
- CAS-5841 Make the scan numbers between scantable, asdm, and MS consistent. Currently ARTT in casapy-test. Needs a user tester assigning. 4.3 item.
- CAS-5712 (Oct): mstransform does not slice WEIGHT column when correlation selection non-trivial. RTT. Tester: George. Blocker. Some progress made, bugfix committed to trunk. 4.3 item.
- CAS-4735 (Nov): imsmooth needs additional option for single dish use. RTT. Tester: TBD. parked with Mark R. for now. Critical item. Code committed to trunk. 4.3 item.
- impv tickets:
- CAS-5975 (Dec): impv: Support specifying input slice width as a world (angular) measure. RTT - most recent commit was r27897. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. To be assigned (perhaps Juergen?).
- CAS-5974 (Dec): impv: impv: support for supplying a center world coordinate and position angle. RTT - most recent commit was r27980. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. To be assigned.
- CAS-5973 (Dec): impv: add support for start/end pixel to be specified in world coordinates. RTT - most recent commit was r27890. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. To be assigned.
- CAS-5962 (Dec): typo in the output from imfit. RTT for 4.3. Mark R. to test.
- CAS-5972 (Dec): testing ticket for imsmooth::commonbeam RTT - most recent commit was r27803. Parked with Mark R. for now. 4.3 item. To be assigned.
- CAS-5858 (Nov/Dec): field section parameter in SD tasks should accept multiple fields selection by field IDs and names. Should be ARTT by now in current pre-release. Passed to Bunyo for testing. 4.3 item.
- List of many other new 4.3 SD items all currently set to RTT, all subtasks of CAS-5526:
- CAS-5844 imsmooth specification and testing targets. See also its subtasks.