CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-11-05, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
Mark R., Jeff, Steve, Juergen, Tony, Jen, Adam, Nuria, Scott S., + To be added to as appropriate
Apologies: To be added to as appropriate
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 220.127.116.11
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 18.104.22.168
Minutes (Main Points Only)
- Pre-release versions imminent
- Most recent casapy-stable published: 4.2.0 r26945. Linux only; Mac OS X package to follow.
- Changes since last casapy-stable:
- asap: svn.atnf.csiro.au/asap/trunk up to r2861
- casacore: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/trunk/casacore up to r26910
- code: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/trunk/code up to r26906
- gcwrap: svn.cv.nrao.edu/svn/casa/trunk/gcwrap up to r26907
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) prior to meeting: 72 (prior to meeting).
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) following meeting: 68. To be added following meeting.
- Most recent casapy-test published: casapy-test r26919. Linux only; Mac OS X package to follow.
- Changes since last casapy-test same as for casapy-stable (above).
- Known Issue: If both rpms and a tar casapy-stable are installed on the same RHEL 5.x system, and their versions do not match, you will see the failure described in CAS-5445 when starting CASA from the tar. You will not see this issue when starting casa from the rpms.
Any Other Business
- Additional viewer testing: Juergen, Nuria were to do this. Scott would also report some failure modes recently encountered by him. Adam will possibly try to do some of this as well this week? Arielle has also expressed interest.
- 4.3 planning is under way. We will begin assigning 4.3 testing tasks to user testers in the next new weeks.
- Juergen invites user tester comments regarding input and improvements to the cookbook.
- Jeff identified a shortlist of key items remaining for the 4.2 release. Restating these briefly here:
- CAS-3116: Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). George's documentation.
- CAS-5213: Feather GUI
- CAS-5127: ia toolkit documentation.
- CAS-5206: Test regridding of GBT Data on 4.2 as well. Note: no GBT-related items regarded as blockers for the 4.2 release.
- CAS-5044: Flagging by weight.
- CAS-5719 (Oct): view pv-diagram crashes viewer. (Should already be fixed, just needs to be retested).
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During Meetings
Ready to Close Items
- CAS-5598 (Oct): Differences in averaged data between TVI (mstransform) and split. Currently ARTT(?) - in current casapy-test (26919+). See also CAS-4849 and CAS-4850. Subtask of CAS-4901. Tester: Scott Schnee. Some testing done. Largely seems to work. Subsequently resolved as done.
- CAS-5117 (May): Association of Syspower Cal entries with scan / field in table or during apply. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824+). Information posted to ticket by developer. VLA item. Steve has been testing this one, in conjunction with CAS-3517. Subsequently resolved as done.
- CAS-5477 (Sep): msmd needs a method to return non-wvr spws. New item. Can probably be tested with CAS-5266 and CAS-5450 (above). Code commit: r26549. Currently ARTT, in casapy-test r26662+. Tester: Todd. Tested and works. Typo in the docs corrected by a subsequent commit. Subsequently resolved as done.
- CAS-5600 (Oct): msmd needs a method to map spectral window ID into data description ID. Tester: Todd. ARTT in casapy-test r26919+. testing done and it works. Issue with error message reported, fix committed. Subsequently resolved as done.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
Question: Any 4.3 items below? If so, they can perhaps be bumped down to the "Items currently undergoing testing" section
- CAS-5127 (May): Document ia toolkit methods. Status In Progress. Mark is working on this. Currently more than half-way through Juergen's prioritized list of 26 items. But there are 99 tool methods in total... Prioritized by Mark. Ongoing. Mark to add dates to all future documentation updates.
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Latest fix was (r26751). Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r6919+). Laura has been doing some testing. Urvashi has reported issues, Dave has put in a fix. Urvashi's memory management issue has been fixed. Thought this one was close to being closed, but additional issues encountered? Passed back to developer. Note: will need a new tester (Laura on travel for two weeks). Jeff to talk to David. If Laura's test dataset is an edge case, then is will be fixed for 4.2. If a more general problem, this feature will be switched off for the 4.2 release.
- CAS-4959 (Jul): imregrid: Status ARTT. Tester: Adam.
- CAS-5206 (Jun): Test regridding of GBT Data on 4.2 as well. ARTT. Adam has done some testing and identified a few issues (WCS/imstat, error messages, and a future request to handle images in K units). Three new Jira tickets created by Mark accordingly (fourth bullet item is just a report).
- CAS-5567 (Aug/Sep): testing for AnnCenterBox fix. Subtask of CAS-5541. Commit: r26367. Currently ARTT in casapy-test r26662+. Tester: Amy Mioduszewski. Some testing done - problems encountered (pixel shift still seen, and possible viewer problems?).
- CAS-5379 - Subtle inconsistencies with other programs in Galactic Coordinates (Adam and Harvey). In a nutshell, shifts of ~0.2" are seen when taking data into other packages (e.g. DS9, IDL which both seem to agree with each other). It is unclear yet if this is an incorrect implementation in one or more packages, or possibly just a precision error. This is a subtle issue, and will be pushed back to 4.3.
- CAS-5680 (Sep): regions statistics in casaviewer-test. Currently ARTT in casapy-test r26872+. Tester: Amy Mioduszewski. Juergen was to check with Amy.
- CAS-5335 (Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. BLOCKER.Currently listed as "Open". Parked with Mark. At least some of the blocker aspects have hopefully now been addressed by the developer - see below: ARTT subtasks testing needed to establish if this is no longer a blocker.
- CAS-5572 (Sep): Test fix for circles and ellipses when image has non-square pixels. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy.
- CAS-5589 (Sep): Test cos(dec) fix to ensure region sizes are invariant upon shifts in dec. Subtask of CAS-5335. ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Amy.
- CAS-3517 (Aug): Improve remapping interface (Cal libraries). Currently ARTT in casapy-test r26325+. Tester: Steve. Some testing done, recommendations made. Discussion ongoing. Further callibrary work to be pushed out to 4.3 in Jira.
- CAS-5213 (Jul): feathering GUI (casafeather) upgrade. Upgraded to BLOCKER. Brian Mason and Juergen did some testing of this, and are working on documentation. Issues had been reported to the developer recently, but he cannot reproduce them. Beam volumes work committed as r27170. Set back to "RTT", pending a new testable package (most recent commit was r27181).
- CAS-5248 (Aug/Sep): propagate gridding and beam changes to simanalyze. ARTT in casapy-test r26662+ (but previously partly tested in private build). Tester: Jen. Lots of back and forth. Testing ongoing. Brian expects the remaining issues to be resolved with in the next couple of weeks.No additional recent progress
- CAS-4754 - MSTransform subtasks: Lots of testing done. time averaging stuff being tested now. MSTransform will be marked as "experimental" in the 4.2 release.
- CAS-5013 (Jul): "cvel handling of different sensitivity spw". ARTT in July stable+. Subtask of CAS-4754. Ticket passed to Anita in Europe as part of the general MSTransform testing effort there. Testing is ongoing, with lots of harmonious-sounding back-and-forth. Left open in light of availability of time averaging in new split. See also new parent ticket for combined MSTransform testing (CAS-5581).
- CAS-5581 - Test of MSTransform capabilities in combination. ARTT. Most recent commit was r26622 - now in latest casapy-test. Currently being tested by Anita Richards. Time average in new split now available (r26919). Ongoing.
- CAS-5172 (Jun): Add capability for fftshift to regridding portion of MSTransform. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Juergen's done some testing of this, but Adam could help if necessary. Some follow-up work done by the developers (r26435). ARTT in casapy-test r26662+. Ticket pinged for an update. Tester: Juergen. Juergen thinks it looks reasonable now. He will talk to Justo before confirming this as resolvable.
Single Dish (to be skipped during the meeting)
- CAS-4141 (May): SD: Sideband separation algorithm for DSB receivers. Shinya had been testing. Latest fix was r2835 to ASAP; included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Tester: Shinya. Testing ongoing, developer providing input. Appears to be close to closing.
- CAS-5545 (Aug): MS to scantable filler should apply FLAGROW of scantable to FLAG of MS. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26325+) package. Tester: Shinya. Ticket pinged for progress update on Oct. 24th.
- CAS-4777 (Mar): Define caltable for Tsys calibration. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Daniel. Ticket pinged for an update Oct. 24th.
- CAS-4776 (Mar): Define caltable for sky calibration. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Daniel. Ticket pinged for an update Oct. 24th.
- CAS-4774 (Mar): Implement an applycal task for single dish calibration. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Daniel. Ticket pinged for an update Oct. 24th.
- CAS-4772 (Mar): Implement Tsys calibration task. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26662+). Tester: Shinya. Ticket pinged for an update Oct. 24th.
- CAS-5496 (Sep): sdflag2: enable data selection by time range. Currently ARTT in casapy-test. Tester: Daniel Espada(?)
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
To be added to as appropriate
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
"ARTT" Items Pending Tester Assignment
- CAS-4754 - MSTransform
- CAS-4849 (Oct): Enhanced Split Capabilities: Time Averaging. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test (26919+). Some caveats in ticket. Tester TBD.
- CAS-4850 (Oct): Enhanced Split Capabilities: Baseline Dependent Time Averaging. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test (26919+). Some caveats in ticket. Tester TBD.
- CAS-3532 (Sep): Incorporation of Alma Primary Beam in Mosaic. Currently ARTT. Needs tester assigning. Also, Mark to check documentation.
- CAS-5139 (Sep): Proper handling of flag information in sideband separation algorithm. Subtask of CAS-1756. Currently ARTT in casapy-test. Needs a user tester assigning.
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). On Hold. Awaiting data.
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire. Currently On Hold and assigned to Kumar pending class refactoring.
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
Not Yet Assigned To Testers
- CAS-4938 (Sep/Oct): CLONE - mstransform on spws gives errors for different correlation shapes. RTT pending availability in a test package (most recent commit was r26929). Ticket parked with Mark for now. Tester: TBD.
- CAS-5214 (Sep/Oct): plotms hangs when plotting amp vs channel in IRAS16293 CASAguide. RTT pending availability in a test package (most recent commit was r26923). Tester: TBD. Data Analyst?
- CAS-5710 (Sep/Oct): plotms does not indicate when the measurement set is not found. RTT pending availability in a test package (most recent commit was r26923). Tester: TBD. Data Analyst?
Already Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5044 (Sep/Oct): Flagdata mode='clip' should allow WEIGHT as an option for datacolumn. Tester: Todd. Open (again). Identified as worthy of close 4.2 tracking by Jeff during the meeting.
- CAS-5731 (Oct): Loading DS9 region files into the viewer produces a warning and does not load. RTT, pending availability of r27126 in user-testable package. Tester: Jen.
- CAS-5773 (Nov): Incorrect channel labelling in viewer spectral profile. New item. RTT, pending a testable package (check-in was r27151). Tester: Anita
- CAS-5760 (Oct/Nov): casafeather: zoom in scatter plot does not reveal points. New item. RTT, pending a testable package (check-in was r27144). Tester: Juergen
- CAS-5110 (May): big pixels in ia.regrid. Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Input Required. Remy provided some recommendations. Some additional work done by developer (r26985). Currently RTT. Will probably be released "as is". Adam will check that the rules included do work.
- CAS-4960 (Aug/Sep): imregrid: When regridding, the regridding should by default be done in accordance only with whichever axes are common to both the template and the image (and are sensible). Most recent commit: r26439. Was ARTT in casapy-test r26662+), set back to Open due to a couple of remaining problem cases. To be considered as part of "imregrid checkout". Tester: Adam. Testing ongoing.
- CAS-5719 (Oct): view pv-diagram crashes viewer. RTT pending availability in a test package (most recent commit was r26971). RTT, pending a suitable test package. Blocker issue. Tester: Adam.
- CAS-4081 (Aug): Create tool / view that allows management of open images and changing the image stack. Bug fixes put in as r27004. RTT again now, pending testable package. Tester: Mark Lacy. Tested by Mark and it now at least runs. However, ds9 pre-rotated images remain problematic (this would be for some future release, though - not now). Some bugfixes put in. To be tested again once they are available.
- CAS-5532 (Oct): Exportfits should respond to the conversion layer in CASA Images. Open again (had been resolved as done). Lingering bug reported by Adam. Example info requested by developer, and recently provided by tester. Tester: Adam
- CAS-5695 (Oct): msmd "forintent" methods should allow wildcards in intent names. RTT again, pending new casapy-test . Latest commit was r26969. Todd to test.
- CAS-5466 (Oct): typos in the help for immath. Fix put in; RTT, pending testable version. Mark to check this.
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still waiting on data; unlikely to be fully tested before release. Ticket's with Steve now. Have recently been in the process of doing tests on the VLA with some data scanning across bright sources. Kunal to test this when ready to invoke the imaging.
- CAS-5706 (Oct): msmd.spwsforfield returns the wrong answer (Blank) if the specified field name has two IDs. Todd to test this. Currently RTT, pending a newer test package. Commit was r26931.
- CAS-5431 slicing in frequency selection throws exception. Set back to Open and passed back to dev. Tester: Kumar.
- CAS-5502 (Aug): Velocity regridding in viewer sometimes not available. Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Earlier fix tested. Needs more work and so passed back to dev. Ticket pinged Sep. 24th, Oct. 22nd. Bumped up to blocker status following the meeting.
- CAS-4771 (Mar): Implement sky calibration task. Seemed to work, pending final check of one set of suspicious input data. However, new bug fix put in. Currently RTT again. Tester: Bunyo (was Shinya).
- CAS-5138 (Aug): Make default image area of sdimaging cover the pointings in MS. Shinya has been testing this. Set back to RTT again for retesting (commit: r27041).
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. BLOCKER. Recently re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this still affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8. Debugging code pops up for all, though.
- Also, Mac OS X 10.7 Qt stuff: CAS-4310, 4602.
4.2 Release "As Is" Items
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Currently ARTT Will be released "as is". testing done by Steve, but still inconclusive.
Items Descoped from CASA-4.2
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently set to "Ready To Test" and assigned to Tony, so that he can try it with both the M100 and Orion datasets. Lots of comments provided by John Lightfoot. A meeting has taken place on this, and it is an ongoing development topic. Ongoing development will be target of 4.3 Cycle.
- CAS-5125 (Jul): Make frequency an axis display option (in the viewer). Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Tested. Needs more work and so ticket back to dev. Pinged Oct. 22nd: possibly deprecated? Will probably not now make it into the 4.2 release.