CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-09-17, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
Mark Rawlings, Tony Remijan, Jen Donovan Meyer, Scott Schnee, Mark Lacy, Jeff Kern, Juergen Ott, Steve Myers, Kristina Nyland
Crystal Brogan (Chile)
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 126.96.36.199
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 188.8.131.52
Minutes (Main Points Only)
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) prior to meeting: 75.
Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets) following meeting: 71.
- The August casapy-stable has been (re-)published: casapy-stable r26465 in order to fix an issue with wvrgcal. The casapy-stable feature commit deadline was September 15th.
- Most recent casapy-test published: casapy-test r26325 (as of 2013-09-13). A new test package is imminent...
- Known Issue: If both rpms and a tar casapy-stable are installed on the same RHEL 5.x system, and their versions do not match, you will see the failure described in CAS-5445 when starting CASA from the tar. You will not see this issue when starting casa from the rpms.
News / Any Other Business
- Mark has now corrected the CV IP address in all the 4.2 meeting minutes...
- To all user testers: General Viewer stability testing is encouraged!
- Multipanel behavior is known to have problems, and will not make the final public release.
- From now on, no more 4.2 requests for feature enhancements, only bug reports.
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During The Meeting
Ready to Close Items
N.B. The following items will not be worked through one-by-one. Attendees should identify any items they wish to keep open during the meeting.
- CAS-3437 (Jul): Converting antenna positions to local coordinates using functions in simutil disagrees with the plotants plot by many tens of meters. Currently assigned to Remy.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-4790 (Jun): Add support for time variable calibrators for Perley-Butler 2013 standard for setjy - Subtask of CAS-5156. VLA item. Currently ARTT. In current stable. Bryan (or maybe Claire?) to test. Bryan will be getting this issue "unstuck", maybe with the help of analysts. No ticket updates in the last month. <- Assign to Sarah.
- CAS-5110 (May): Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Input Required. Remy still to send Mark some recommendations text for tool documentation purposes. Work done by Remy, but some still awaiting some text from him.
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Still awaiting input from Science. Input Required. Preshanth has worked on this, but a report is still to be posted. <- Steve's run and looked at the test he produced, but it's a bit hard to understand, and will need documenting and/or perhaps replacing.
- CAS-5222 (Jul): imhead: cannot add beammajor, beamminor, beampa keywords and values to TP image. Commit: r25741; Available in casapy-test r25953+. ARTT. Tester: Ed. Second reminder posted to ticket. <- to be ressigned to Adam.
- CAS-4141 (May): SD: Sideband separation algorithm for DSB receivers. Shinya had been testing. Latest fix was r2835 to ASAP; included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Tester: Shinya. Second reminder posted.
- CAS-5127 (May): Document ia toolkit methods. Status In Progress. Mark is working on this. Currently half-way through Juergen's prioritized list of 26 items. But there are 99 tool methods in total. Ongoing...
- CAS-4959 (Jul): imregrid: When using image templates, the default shape used should be that of the template (not the input image). Some testing done, problems with test data used. Being tested by Mark. Dev has looked at this, and made suggestions for testing (tested example was exposing as yet unsupported features). Still to be retested with more conservative datasets. Status ARTT. Mark to test.
- CAS-4961 (Aug): imregrid: axis ordering of data cubes appears to be inconsistent. Currently ARTT with August stable package. Tester: Mark.
- CAS-3046 (Jun): Support and use of ephemeris table when available. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Being tested by Dirk et al., with input from Bryan. Some testing done, and it seems to generally work, but additional minor fixes were committed as r25140 and r25160. One more bit of testing is still needed, but the relevant PI had been away on vacation. Update requested on ticket. <- Add Tony as a watcher - he may be able to test it with his comet data.
- CAS-2722 (Jul): Viewer profile tool and ascii have weird order for multiple cubes. Should be ARTT in casapy-test for testing of latest commit (r26201). Tester: Crystal.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-4765 (Jul): Add capability in MSTransform framework to combine spectral windows. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Assigned to Juergen for testing. Overdue for an update. <- Juergen tried this, and it produced a composite dataset with a gap filled with near uniform data(!). Bounced back to the developer.
- CAS-5406 (Jul): importfits "make casa-style 4d". Moved back to RTT. Latest commit (r26289) now available in casapy-test (r26325+) package for user testing. Some discussion between Dirk and Remy on this ticket. Remy to test.
- CAS-5176 (Jul): Setting of rest frequency from display panel. Latest commit: r26305 should now be ARTT in casapy-test (r26325+). Tester: mainly Adam. As requested by Adam, ticket passed to Tony for a second opinion. <- Tony will do this this afternoon.
- CAS-5540 (Aug): Viewer crashes when image toggle selected if spectral tool open. Blocker issue. Fix committed. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26325) package. Tester: Crystal. <- tested and resolved following the meeting.
- CAS-5141 (Jul): Provide the way that sdflag keeps all rows in the input dataset and only modify flag information. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r25753). Assigned to Eric Villard. Reminder previously posted. <- Mark to remind Eric that we are now at the release point, and need the feedback next week.
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Latest fix committed Aug 14th (r26067). Currently ARTT. Laura has been doing some testing. Urvashi recently reported big memory leak issues.
- CAS-4371 (Aug/Sep): add intent to the data selection options in setjy. Subtask of CAS-5156. Dev forgot to update the status. Some testing already done by Todd, though, so ticket now formally passed to him as tester.
- CAS-5324 (Jul): Viewer: make behavior of dock widgets (animator, cursor tracking, and regions) consistent. Currently ARTT. To be tested through routine use. To be resolved if no complaints before Sep. stable availability.
- CAS-5312 (Jun): sdimaging: enable specifying output frequency frame. Currently ARTT again. Daniel Espada is now the tester for this. Latest fix (r26247) now available for user testing in the current casapy-test package (r26325+).
- CAS-4808 (Jun): make ImageBeamSet simpler - Underlying software modification, but can definitely be tested by users. Currently ARTT. Critical item. Ticket with Juergen, pending user testing assignment. Note: testing this item may require a fairly experienced user. Multibeam datasets - Adam to test. <- Juergen suggested that Adam should talk with Sanjay about this.
- CAS-5441 (Aug): Testing ticket for imhead mode="del". ARTT, since now available in casapy-test r25953+. To be tested together with CAS-5444 (see next). Tester: Adam. <- Tested and resolved following meeting.
- CAS-5444 (Jul): Testing ticket for imhead(mode="add"). Commit: r25741; available in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Subtask of CAS-4297. Tester: Adam. <- Tested and resolved following meeting.
- CAS-5547 (Aug): Testing ticket for AnnRectBox fix. Fix committed. Subtask of CAS-5541. Currently RTT, in casapy-test (r26325) package. Tester: Amy Mioduszewski.
- CAS-3517 (Aug): Improve remapping interface (Cal libraries). Currently ARTT in casapy-test r26325+. Tester: Steve.
- CAS-5378 (Sep): simanalyze error handling. Subtask of CAS-5510. Currently RTT. Already looks good in private build, though. Tester: Jen
- CAS-5443 (Aug/Sep): makemask inverting selection. New item (commit r25859). Currently ARTT (?). Tester: Juergen. <- Tested and resolved following meeting.
- CAS-4633 (Sep): UVContSub: Documentation of current behavior. Currently ARTT (documentation to be reviewed attached to Jira ticket). Tester: Crystal.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform subtasks: (To be added?)
- CAS-5013 (Jul): "cvel handling of different sensitivity spw". ARTT in July stable+. Subtask of CAS-4754. Ticket passed to Anita in Europe as part of the general MSTransform testing effort there. See also new parent ticket for combined MSTransform testing (CAS-5581)
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
"ARTT" Items Pending Tester Assignment
- CAS-5171 (Jul): Rework of MSTool for consistency and correctness. Parent of CAS-801. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable. Ticket currently with Juergen. Tester: TBD. <- To be resolved.
- CAS-5117 (May): Association of Syspower Cal entries with scan / field in table or during apply. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824+). Information posted to ticket by developer. VLA item. Steve will figure out how to proceed with this one. He may end up testing this himself. Tester: TBD. <- Steve will provide a tester name for this.
- CAS-5159 (Jul): Add Support for Scaife and Heald low frequency standard. VLA-only item. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test, but not in July stable. Probably needs external testers (Huib, Scaife, and/or possibly Frazer?), so assigned to Juergen to reassign. Subtask of CAS-5156. - Ticket passed to Steve for reassignment (probably to Huib). <- Steve will provide a tester name for this.
- CAS-5487 (Aug): sdimaging: image header stores a wrong unit. Workaround fix provided. Currently ARTT with August stable package. Brian Mason added as a watcher for North America. Ticket passed to Daisuke for reassignment. Tester: TBD. <- Two more weeks (same for others)?
- CAS-5545 (Aug): MS to scantable filler should apply FLAGROW of scantable to FLAG of MS. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r26325+) package. Ticket passed to Daisuke for reassignment. Tester: TBD.
- CAS-5535 (Aug): Remove freq_tolsr parameter from sd.splitant(). Currently RTT, pending a user-testable package. Tester: TBD. Ticket passed to Daisuke for reassignment.
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still waiting on data; unlikely to be fully tested before release. Ticket's with Steve now.
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). On Hold. Awaiting data.
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire. Currently On Hold and assigned to Kumar pending class refactoring.
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
Not Yet Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5499 (Aug/Sep): sdimaging: support input of multiple MSes. New item. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Ticket passed to Diasuke for tester identification. Tester: TBD
- CAS-4960 (Aug/Sep): imregrid: When regridding, the regridding should by default be done in accordance only with whichever axes are common to both the template and the image (and are sensible). Most recent commit: r26439. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD <- To be bundled under a new imregrid parent "inregrid checkout" and assigned to Adam.
- CAS-5179 (Sep): Viewer OTF Spectral Smoothing. New item. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD (Adam?) <- To be tested by Adam first, then passed to Tony.
- CAS-3968 (Sep): Imregrid has trouble with degenerate axes. New item. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Adam to test.
- CAS-1001 (Sep, sort of): setjy should return the calculated flux densities. Currently RTT. Most recent commit was r26570. Tester: TBD. <- Sarah to test.
- CAS-5335 (Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. BLOCKER.Currently listed as "Open". Blocker aspects have hopefully now been addressed - see below:
- CAS-5572 (Sep): Test fix for circles and ellipses when image has non-square pixels. Subtask of CAS-5335. Newly RTT, pending testable package. tester TBD. (Josh M.?)
- CAS-5589 (Sep): Test cos(dec) fix to ensure region sizes are invariant upon shifts in dec. Subtask of CAS-5335. Newly RTT, pending testable package. tester TBD. (Josh M.?)
- <- Steve to check with Josh Marvil about his availability for testing both of the above. If he can't do it, we will need a Plan B.
- CAS-5585 (Sep): predictcomp should strip off the directory path from the configuration file shown in the plot title. New item. Code commit: r26571. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Nathan to test.
- CAS-5532 (Aug): Exportfits should respond to the conversion layer in CASA Images. New item (commit r26333). Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester will need to be someone who uses other packages, IDL, Miriad, AIPS, etc., to see if these fits files can be read correctly.Tester: TBD. <- Jeff says this is "Ready To Close". Will resolve.
- CAS-5493 (Sep): validate calibrator sources by position rather than source name. New item (commit r26444). Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Sarah to test.
- CAS-5266 (Sep): msmd needs a method to return the field direction. New item. (See also below items). Code commit: r26512. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Todd to test.
- CAS-5450 (Sep): msmd needs a method to retrieve the total bandwidth of an spw. New item. Can probably be tested with CAS-5266 (above). Code commit: r26542. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Todd to test.
- CAS-5477 (Sep): msmd needs a method to return non-wvr spws. New item. Can probably be tested with CAS-5266 and CAS-5450 (above). Code commit: r26549. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Todd to test.
- CAS-5582 (Sep): Accept Fluxscale output dictionary as input. New item. Subtask of CAS-5156. Commit: r26570. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD. <- Sarah to test.
- CAS-5567 (Aug/Sep): testing for AnnCenterBox fix.. New item. Subtask of CAS-5541. Commit: r26367. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Ticket currently parked with Mark. Tester: TBD. <- Amy to test.
- CAS-5563 (Sep): viewer spectral profile tool doesn't work on images with tabular spectral axis. New item. Commit: r26407. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: TBD <- Nathan to test.
Already Assigned To Testers
- CAS-5508 (Sep): simalma dryrun and informational reporting. New item. Subtask of CAS-5510. Currently RTT, pending user-testable package. Tester: Jen.
- CAS-5213 (Jul): feathering GUI (casafeather) upgrade. Upgraded to BLOCKER. Open. Juergen to close out: test and write documentation. Brian Mason will be in Socorro for a week in September to help out with this. Bugs have been reported to the dev recently and the ticket passed back accordingly.
- CAS-5503 (Aug): imregrid should determine asap in the process if the input image and output image will not overlap. Currently RTT, pending a user-testable package. Tester: Adam.
- CAS-5134 (Apr/Jun): viewer crashes after certain interactive steps - Currently tracked as as RTT. Lots of work done and comments on this in the past. Testing being done by Josh and Kristina. Bugfix committed (r26431) - awaiting user testable version.
- CAS-5121 (Jul): Add new possible post-imaging step to imaging task to smooth to a common restoring beam. Previously ARTT, now Open, but item is complete, pending some documentation cleanup by the dev. Tester: Adam, ticket currently with dev.
- CAS-5502 (Aug): Velocity regridding in viewer sometimes not available. Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Earlier fix tested. Needs more work and so passed back to dev.
- CAS-5125 (Jul): Make frequency an axis display option (in the viewer). Previously ARTT, currently Open. Tester: Adam. Tested. Needs more work and so ticket back to dev.
- CAS-5228 (Jul): use masks in feather and transfer to output. Critical item. Previously ARTT, currently Open. Remy has retested - needs more work (low-res mask not being transferred).
- CAS-4081 (Aug): Create tool / view that allows management of open images and changing the image stack. Set back to "RTT" again, pending a user-testable package. Tester: Mark Lacy.
- CAS-5276 (Jul): Loading region file with box, ellipse and poly shapes produces warning and does not load. Tested by Anand. Seems to mostly work but a few issues remain. Open. Previously ARTT. Ticket currently back with developer.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently set to "Ready To Test" and assigned to Tony, so that he can try it with both the M100 and Orion datasets. John Lightfoot has chipped in on this one proposing a planning meeting, and Crystal agrees.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-4900 (Jun): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply channel average. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Adam has been testing this. Some follow-up work done by the developers. Ongoing. Set back to Open, while the developers investigate a couple of oddities. Fix committed as r26326.
- CAS-5172 (Jun): Add capability for fftshift to regridding portion of MSTransform. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Juergen's done some testing of this, but Adam could help if necessary. Some follow-up work done by the developers (r26435). Ongoing. Currently RTT, pending a user-testable package.
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. BLOCKER. Recently re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this still affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8.