CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-08-20, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
Jeff Kern, Juergen Ott, Crystal Brogan, +?
Mark Rawlings (in Chile), Bryan Butler (conflicting meeting), Steve Myers (conflicting meeting)
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 184.108.40.206
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 220.127.116.11
Minutes (Main Points Only)
Current Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets): 54
- The July casapy-stable has been published: casapy-stable r25701. The August casapy-stable code commit deadline has now passed (Aug 15th), so work has begun on an August stable package..
- Latest casapy-test published: casapy-test r25953 (published on Friday 9th). Next casapy-test (r26107) is imminent...
- Known Issue: If both rpms and a tar casapy-stable are installed on the same RHEL 5.x system, and their versions do not match, you will see the failure described in CAS-5445 when starting CASA from the tar. You will not see this issue when starting casa from the rpms.
News / Any Other Business
The Google tracking spreadsheet is available here.
- Mark is still in Chile for two ALMA Astronomer on Duty turnos in August. Current expectation is to be back in Charlottesville on September 5th.
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During The Meeting
Ready to Close Items
N.B. The following items will not be worked through one-by-one. Attendees should identify any items they wish to keep open during the meeting.
- CAS-5371 (Jul): MSMetaData classes must be modified to ignore FLAG_ROW. ARTT in July stable+. Question for Jeff: Do we need a science user tester for this?
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-5335 (Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. BLOCKER. Currently listed as "Open". Prioritized to be addressed in next few weeks.
- CAS-3046 (Jun): Support and use of ephemeris table when available. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Being tested by Dirk et al., with input from Bryan. Some testing done, and it seems to generally work, but additional minor fixes were committed as r25140 and r25160. Dirk was still looking at this as of last week. Close to closing. Status update requested on ticket.
- VLA No Progress CAS-4790 (Jun): Add support for time variable calibrators for Perley-Butler 2013 standard for setjy - Subtask of CAS-5156. Currently ARTT. In current stable. Bryan to test. Status update requested on ticket.
- CAS-4959 (Jun): imregrid: When using image templates, the default shape used should be that of the template (not the input image). Currently ARTT. Included in June+ stable package. Being tested by Mark. Ongoing.
- CAS-5228 (Jul): use masks in feather and transfer to output. Critical item. Currently ARTT. In July stable+. Remy to test.
- VLA No Progess CAS-5117 (May): Association of Syspower Cal entries with scan / field in table or during apply. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824+). Information posted to ticket by developer. VLA item, so ticket was assigned to Bryan, now passed to Steve to reassign. Emmanuel had been approved to work on this, but won't have time. Rick was to provide data, Claire was going to look at it. Might need some else assigning?
- CAS-5134 (Apr/Jun): viewer crashes after certain interactive steps - Currently tracked as as ARTT. Lots of work done and comments on this in the past. Testing being done by Josh and Kristina. Kristina has provided some feedback of reproducible failure modes, the developer is looking at it, and Kristina to tet functionality in the meantime. Ticket had been assigned to Kristina for testing purposes, but is currently back with the developer for bugfix work while she's testing functionality. Ongoing. Jeff to follow up with Darrell about if it is possible to get core files to be generated on failure.
- CAS-5110 (May): Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Input Required. Remy to send Mark some text for tool documentation purposes. Some calculations done, work ongoing.
- VLA No Progress CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Still awaiting input from Science. Input Required. Bryan to decide what to do next.
- Upgraded to blocker CAS-5213 (Jul): feathering GUI (casafeather) upgrade. Regarded as a lower priority item. ARTT. Had been "On Hold". Juergen to close out: test and write documentation.
- CAS-5216 (Jun): moment image has malformed header. Ticket currently ARTT again. Image units were still needed - should be in now. Remy to test.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-4765 (Jul): Add capability in MSTransform framework to combine spectral windows. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Assigned to Juergen for testing.
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
- CAS-5143 (Jul): update simobserve documentation to clear up some confusion. Previously ARTT, now set back to open. Note: Only a documentation change (r25240). Tested by Kim. Documentation is still ambiguous; passed back to developer.
- CAS-5044 (Jul): Flagdata mode='clip' should allow WEIGHT as an option for datacolumn. Currently ARTT (July stable+ package). Low priority. To be tested by Todd, who has just written a script to modify copy the WEIGHT column over to the WEIGHT_SPECTRUM column.
- CAS-5406 (Jul): importfits "make casa-style 4d". Currently ARTT. Some discussion between Dirk and Remy on this ticket. Remy to test.
- CAS-5142 (May): issues with the spectral profile tool (for inclusion in 4.2 release). Currently RTT. Tester: Jen. One small issue reported to remain in current casapy-test (r25953). Still ARTT, but pending a comment back from the developer. Might be set back to "Open" if fixing it is non-trivial.
- CAS-2722 (Jul): Viewer profile tool and ascii have weird order for multiple cubes. Fix committed as r25723. Included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Tester: Crystal(?)
- CAS-5415 (Jul): Only one spectrum shown for "flux density". Fix committed as r25723, now in current casapy-test (25953+). ARTT. To be tested by Remy(?).
- CAS-5222 (Jul): imhead: cannot add beammajor, beamminor, beampa keywords and values to TP image. Commit: r25741; Available in casapy-test r25953+. ARTT. Tester: Ed.
- CAS-5471 (Aug): imhead description of crvaln and crpixn is ambiguous. Flagged as Critical. Documentation issue only. Available in casapy-test r25953+; currently ARTT. Tester: Ed.
- CAS-4081 (Aug): Create tool / view that allows management of open images and changing the image stack. ARTT in casapy-test r25953+. Tester: Mark Lacy.
- CAS-4141 (May): SD: Sideband separation algorithm for DSB receivers. Shinya had been testing. Latest fix was r2835 to ASAP; included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Tester: Shinya.
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
Items Pending Tester Assignment
- CAS-4808 (Jun): make ImageBeamSet simpler - Underlying software modification, but can definitely be tested by users. Currently ARTT. Critical item. Ticket with Juergen, pending user testing assignment. Note: testing this item may require a fairly experienced user.
- CAS-2600 (Jul): SetJy - Case-insensitivity in field source names. Currently ARTT. Most recent commit was r25640. Available in current casapy-test (r25753+), but not in July stable. Ticket passed to Juergen for user tester assignment.
- CAS-5141 (Jul): Provide the way that sdflag keeps all rows in the input dataset and only modify flag information. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r25753). Assigned to Eric Villard (August stand-in still TBD).
- CAS-5159 (Jul): Add Support for Scaife and Heald low frequency standard. VLA-only item. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test, but not in July stable. Probably needs external testers (Huib, Scaife, and/or possibly Frazer?), so assigned to Juergen to reassign. Subtask of CAS-5156.
- CAS-5441 (Aug): Testing ticket for imhead mode="del". ARTT, since now available in casapy-test r25953+. Ticket passed to Juergen for tester assignment.
- CAS-5444 (Jul): Testing ticket for imhead(mode="add"). Commit: r25741; available in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Subtask of CAS-4297. Ticket with Juergen. Tester TBD.
- CAS-5121 (Jul): Add new possible post imaging step to imaging task to smooth to a common restoring beam. Currently ARTT. Tester: TBD.
- CAS-5328 (Jul): cs.reorder() requires to be run twice before it does axis reordering. ARTT in current testn and stable. Tester: TBD.
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-5013 (Jul): "cvel handling of different sensitivity spw". ARTT in July stable+. Subtask of CAS-4754. Ticket passed to Juergen for user testing assignment (Dirk?).
- CAS-4845 (July): Add capability in MSTransform framework to change the reference frame. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Ticket with Juergen; tester TBD.
Unable to Test Items
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still pending on data, unlikely to be fully tested before release.
- CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). Input required. Pending on data - move ticket to "Hold" state.
- CAS-5291 (Jun): Enable wvrgcal to limit the choice of antennas for interpolation. Currently ARTT. Todd reports that testing for this is awaiting the new Pipeline release.
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez is testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Was ARTT. Latest fix committed Aug 14th (r26067). Set back to RTT for now. Will be ARTT in casapy-test r26107.
- CAS-5312 (Jun): sdimaging: enable specifying output frequency frame. Currently RTT again. While Eric Villard is on holiday, Daniel Espada has been assigned to test. Fix awaiting new testing version. Ongoing. Developer is currently looking the reported issue now. Anticipated to be ARTT in casapy-test r26107.
- CAS-5178 (Jul): Improved Support for multiple Cubes. Already mostly works; most recent bugfix (r25723) was tested by Adam in r25953. Was ARTT, now set back to Open for more work. Tester: Adam.
- CAS-5176 (Jul): Setting of rest frequency from display panel. Latest commit: r25795; now in test r25953: Was ARTT, now set back to Open. Tested by Adam. Possible blocker issue?
- CAS-5276 (Jul): Loading region file with box, ellipse and poly shapes produces warning and does not load. Tested by Anand. Seems to mostly work but a few issues remain. Open. Previously ARTT. Ticket currently back with developer.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback: seems to sort of work, but still fiddly right now. Ticket is currently Open, assigned to Jeff. How to proceed?
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Currently Open, recently reassigned to Kumar to address some reported issues. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire.
- CAS-5487 (Aug): sdimaging: image header stores a wrong unit. Workaround fix provided. Currently RTT, pending a testable package. Tester: Crystal? Will be ARTT in casapy-test r26107.
- CAS-5502 (Aug): Velocity regridding in viewer sometimes not available. Fix committed (r26045). Currently RTT, pending a testable package. Tester: Adam. Will be ARTT in casapy-test r26107.
- CAS-5070 (Aug): image analysis classes should recast ImageInterface pointer field as shared_ptr. Currently RTT, pending a testable package (commits r26062, r26063; deliberately left out of casapy-test r26107). Question for Jeff: No science user tester needed for this?
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-4900 (Jun): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply channel average. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Adam has been testing this. Some follow-up work done by the developers. Ongoing. Set back to Open, while the developers investigate a couple of oddities.
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. BLOCKER. Recently re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8.