CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-08-13, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville
Jeff Kern, Juergen Ott, Steve Myers, Crystal, Scott, Mark, Jen, Brian
Mark Rawlings, Bryan Butler
- Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 18.104.22.168
- Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 22.214.171.124
Minutes (Main Points Only)
Current Number of CASA Jira tickets with "Ready To Test" status (including EA, EU, JAO, Software-only tickets): 61
- The July casapy-stable has been published: casapy-stable r25701. The August casapy-stable code commit deadline is imminent (Aug 15th).
- Latest casapy-test published: casapy-test r25953 (published on Friday 9th).
- Known Issue: If both rpms and a tar casapy-stable are installed on the same RHEL 5.x system, and their versions do not match, you will see the failure described in CAS-5445 when starting CASA from the tar. You will not see this issue when starting casa from the rpms.
News / Any Other Business
The Google tracking spreadsheet is available here.
- Steve is back from his Sabbatical.
- AI: Steve figure out who testers are.
- Mark is in Chile for two ALMA Astronomer on Duty turnos in August. Current expectation is to be back in Charlottesville on September 5th.
- New Meeting Agenda Format (see below).
PART 1: Items To Be Covered During The Meeting
Ready to Close Items
N.B. The following items will not be worked through one-by-one. Attendees should identify any items they wish to keep open during the meeting.
- CAS-5375 (Aug): calmode='otf' or 'otfraster' have a bug in sdcal2. Minor SD bugfix item. Currently RTT.
- CAS-5433 (Jul): ia.setrestoringbeam does not behave as documented. Currently ARTT. Documentation fix only. Assigned to Kumar.
- CAS-4991 (Jun): memory usage for VLA pipeline prevents running more than one job per cluster node. Currently assigned to Bryan, but Claire's involved with this one too. Fix is in the July stable; but Bryan thought this was a larger issue. The pipeline will need to be run with the new dataset. Deb and Claire have been looking into this as well. Memory leak issues are being tracked. ARTT.
- CAS-5261 (Jul): boxit crash with unexplained error. Currently ARTT. Adam to test.
- CAS-5316 (July): singledish data has strange timestamps in listobs. Currently ARTT. Daniel Espada testing. Ongoing. Latest fix (r25912) now available in current casapy-test r25953+.
Items Overdue for Status Updates (i.e. the "Nag List")
- CAS-5335 (Jul): CASA Region Text File pixel sizes not handled properly. BLOCKER. Currently listed as "Open". Discussion is ongoing. To be reviewed by Jeff and Mark for prioritization.
- CAS-3046 (Jun): Support and use of ephemeris table when available. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Being tested by Dirk et al., with input from Bryan. Some testing done, and it seems to generally work, but additional minor fixes were committed as r25140 and r25160. Dirk was still looking at this as of last week. Close to closing.
- CAS-4790 (Jun): Add support for time variable calibrators for Perley-Butler 2013 standard for setjy - Subtask of CAS-5156. Currently ARTT. In current stable. Bryan to test.
- CAS-4959 (Jun): imregrid: When using image templates, the default shape used should be that of the template (not the input image). Currently ARTT. Included in June+ stable package. to be tested by Mark.
- CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Laura Perez will be testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. ARTT. Included in June+ test/stable packages. This has been assigned back to Dave
- CAS-5228 (Jul): use masks in feather and transfer to output. Critical item. Currently ARTT. In July stable+. Remy to test.
- CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test. Awaiting suitable data from ALMA. Steve has done some work on this for VLA. Still pending on data, unlikely to be fully tested before release
- CAS-5117 (May): Association of Syspower Cal entries with scan / field in table or during apply. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824+). Information posted to ticket by developer. VLA item, so ticket was assigned to Bryan. Emmanuel had been approved to work on this. Rick was to provide data, Claire was going to look at it.
- CAS-5134 (Apr/Jun): viewer crashes after certain interactive steps - Currently tracked as as ARTT. Lots of work done and comments on this in the past. Testing being done by Josh and Kristina. Kristina has provided some feedback of reproducible failure modes, the developer is looking at it, and Kristina to tet functionality in the meantime. Ticket had been assigned to Kristina for testing purposes, but is currently back with the developer for bugfix work while she's testing functionality. Ongoing. Update requested in ticket. Jeff to follow up with Darrell about if it is possible to get core files to be generated on failure.
- CAS-5132 (May): create image crop method. Currently ARTT. Assigned to Adam for testing.
- CAS-5110 (May): Remy's been providing examples of problem cases, and possible approaches to solutions (with Adam). Input Required. Remy to send Mark some text for tool documentation purposes.
- CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. VLA item. Awaiting input from Science. Input Required. Bryan to decide what to do next.
CAS-4636 (Oct 2012): Elevation dependent opacity application w/ Tsys. Still awaiting input from Science (since February). Input required. Pending on data move ticket to Hold State
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-4765 (July): Add capability in MSTransform framework to combine spectral windows. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Assigned to Juergen for testing.
- CAS-4900 (Jun): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply channel average. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Adam has been testing this. Some follow-up work done by the developers. Set back to ARTT as r25634 is included in the the latest casapy-test package (but not the stable).
- CAS-4846 (May): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply Hanning Smoothing. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Assigned to Adam.
Items Currently Undergoing Testing
- CAS-5216 (Jun): moment image has malformed header. Ticket currently ARTT again. Image units were still needed - should be in now. Remy to test.
- CAS-5143 (July): update simobserve documentation to clear up some confusion. Previously ARTT, now set back to open. Note: Only a documentation change (r25240). Tested by Kim. Documentation is still ambiguous; passed back to developer.
- CAS-5044 (Jul): Flagdata mode='clip' should allow WEIGHT as an option for datacolumn. Currently ARTT (July stable+ package). Low priority. To be tested by Todd, but he'll need to write a script to modify copy the WEIGHT column over to the WEIGHT_SPECTRUM column first. * CAS-5312 (Jun): sdimaging: enable specifying output frequency frame. Currently ARTT. While Eric Villard is on holiday, Daniel Espada has been assigned to test. Ongoing. Assigned back to developer
- CAS-5291 (Jun): Enable wvrgcal to limit the choice of antennas for interpolation. Currently ARTT. Todd reports that testing for this is awaiting the new pipeline release.
- CAS-5406 (Jul): importfits "make casa-style 4d". Currently ARTT. Remy to test.
- CAS-5142 (May): issues with the spectral profile tool (for inclusion in 4.2 release). Currently RTT. Tester: Jen. A few issues found to remain. Latest fix (r25871) now in casapy-test (r25953+). ARTT.
- CAS-2722 (Jul): Viewer profile tool and ascii have weird order for multiple cubes. Fix committed as r25723. Included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Tester: Crystal(?)
- CAS-5415 (Jul): Only one spectrum shown for "flux density". Fix committed as r25723, now in current casapy-test (25953+). ARTT. To be tested by Remy(?).
- CAS-5178 (Jul): Improved Support for multiple Cubes. Already mostly works; most recent bugfix (r25723) now available in test r25953+. ARTT. Tester: Adam.
- CAS-5176 (Jul): Setting of rest frequency from display panel. Latest commit: r25795; now in test r25953+: ARTT. To be tested by Adam(?).
- CAS-5222 (Jul): imhead: cannot add beammajor, beamminor, beampa keywords and values to TP image. Commit: r25741; Available in casapy-test r25953+. ARTT. Tester: Ed.
- CAS-5471 (Aug): imhead description of crvaln and crpixn is ambiguous. Flagged as Critical. Documentation issue only. Available in casapy-test r25953+; currently ARTT. Tester: Ed.
- CAS-5213 (Jul): feathering GUI (casafeather) upgrade. Regarded as a lower priority item. ARTT. Had been "On Hold". Juergen to retest. -> Juergen to close out. Juergen to test and write documentation. Move to nag list
PART 2: Items Listed for Informational Purposes (note that these will not be specifically discussed during the meeting unless someone raises them)
Items Pending Tester Assignment
- CAS-4808 (Jun): make ImageBeamSet simpler - Underlying software modification, but can definitely be tested by users. Currently ARTT. Critical item. Ticket with Juergen, pending user testing assignment. Note: testing this item may require a fairly experienced user.
- CAS-2600 (Jul): SetJy - Case-insensitivity in field source names. Currently ARTT. Most recent commit was r25640. Available in current casapy-test (r25753+), but not in July stable. Ticket passed to Juergen for user tester assignment.
- CAS-5141 (Jul): Provide the way that sdflag keeps all rows in the input dataset and only modify flag information. Currently ARTT in casapy-test (r25753). Assigned to Eric Villard (August stand-in TBD).
- CAS-5159 (Jul): Add Support for Scaife and Heald low frequency standard. VLA-only item. Currently ARTT - in current casapy-test, but not in July stable. Probably needs external testers (Huib, Scaife, and/or possibly Frazer?), so assigned to Juergen to reassign. Subtask of CAS-5156.
- CAS-5371 (Jul): MSMetaData classes must be modified to ignore FLAG_ROW. ARTT in July stable+. Question for Jeff: Do we need a science user tester for this?
- CAS-4754- MSTransform
- CAS-5013 (Jul): "cvel handling of different sensitivity spw". ARTT in July stable+. Subtask of CAS-4754. Ticket passed to Juergen for user testing assignment (Dirk?).
- CAS-4845 (July): Add capability in MSTransform framework to change the reference frame. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. ARTT. Ticket with Juergen; tester TBD.
- CAS-5441 (Aug): Testing ticket for imhead mode="del". ARTT, since now available in casapy-test r25953+. Ticket passed to Juergen for tester assignment.
- CAS-5444 (Jul): Testing ticket for imhead(mode="add"). Commit: r25741; available in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. Subtask of CAS-4297. Ticket with Juergen. Tester TBD.
- CAS-4081 (Aug): Create tool / view that allows management of open images and changing the image stack. ARTT in casapy-test r25953+. Tester to be assigned (Crystal?)
- CAS-4141 (May): SD: Sideband separation algorithm for DSB receivers. Shinya had been testing. Latest fix was r2835 to ASAP; included in casapy-test 25953+. ARTT. tester unclear: To go back to Shinya?
Unable to Test Items
(To be added to)
Upcoming Ready to (Re)Test Items
- CAS-5276 (Jul): Loading region file with box, ellipse and poly shapes produces warning and does not load. Tested by Anand. Seems to mostly work but a few issues remain. Open. Previously ARTT. Ticket currently back with developer.
- CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix had been put in and tested by Steve. He has provided feedback. Ticket is currently Open, assigned to Jeff. Might already be testable/tested?
- CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Currently Open, recently reassigned to Kumar to address some reported issues. Lots of feedback supplied by Kristina and Claire.
- CAS-4946 Crash on Mac OS X when virtual model requested. BLOCKER. Recently re-checked by Nathan, and it now sounds as if this affects Mac OS X 10.6, but not 10.7 or 10.8.