CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-06-18, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville

Agenda

Participants

Present: N/A (meeting canceled)

Apologies: Mark Rawlings, Jeff Kern, Bryan Butler

Locations

  • Socorro: AOC-317; IP: 146.88.16.8
  • Charlottesville: Room 331; IP: 193.33.117.19


Minutes (Main Points Only)

Status

  • CASA 4.2 stables are now available for testing.
    • The May casapy-stable is now available for both Linux (r24824) and Mac OS X (r24870). (It may still identify itself as 4.1, but is actually 4.2).
    • The June casapy-stable will be probably made available during the next couple of weeks.
  • A new casapy-test is also expected this week

Any Other Business

N/A

Current testing items/issues (see also Google spreadsheet workbook)

Spreadsheet available here

CASA 4.2

Open Blockers

No new ones for user testing. Lingering Mac OS X (probably Qt-related) items.

Ready To Close

  • CAS-5183: Documentation of statwts behavior. Currently ARTT. Document has been posted to the ticket. Propose to close. <- Subsequently resolved as done (June 25th).
  • CAS-5043: immoments gives unhelpful error for linear coordinate. Currently ARTT. Remy is the tester. Ticket has been ARTT for over a month. Propose to close? <- Subsequently resolved as (assumed to be) done (June 25th).
  • CAS-4740 (May): imregrid: checkerboard artifact when regridding large GBT pixels to small EVLA pixels. Currently ARTT. Feedback given by Juergen. This looks like it mostly works, pending a (possibly tangential) question from Juergen. Propose to close, on the understanding that all follow-up discussion of "resampling vs. "rebinning" take place in CAS-5110. Remy and Adam are currently drafting a specification for Mark and David. <- Subsequently resolved as done (June 24th) - additional follow-up will be tracked under CAS-5110.

New Approved for Testing Targets

  • CAS-5132 (May): create image crop method. Currently ARTT. needs tester assignment. Temporarily assigned to Juergen for reassignment.
  • CAS-5123 (May): Support for On the Fly Mosaics. Currently ARTT. Needs tester assignment. JAO (ALMA) and Socorro (VLA) to test.
  • CAS-4348 (May): interactive imfit estimate generation. Actually committed to 4.1 in February. Currently ARTT. Needs testers assigning. Kumar, perhaps?
  • CAS-5014 (May): Make a wrapper around the partition task to use the mstransform framework. Should already be regarded as ARTT for 4.2 as it's already also in the current release branch. MSTransform-related item. Question for Jeff: Does this need Science User testers? If so, can it be tested as part of the larger MSTransform testing effort?
  • CAS-3885 (May): Post-deconvolution wide-band PB-correction for 'ft' and 'mosaicft'. Currently ARTT. VLA item. Awaiting tester assignment. Ticket passed to Bryan to reassign.
  • CAS-2252 (May): calculate the rotation measure. Currently ARTT. VLA item. Awaiting tester assignment. Ticket passed to Bryan to reassign.
  • CAS-5117 (May): Association of Syspower Cal entries with scan / field in table or during apply. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Information posted to ticket by developer. VLA item, so ticket assigned to Bryan, to reassign as he sees fit.
  • CAS-4645 (May): Universal support for outlier fields. Subtask of CAS-4640. Currently ARTT. Developer had been investigating a possible issue (additional update note: turned out to be unrelated). Josh and Frazer have looked at this in the past. Question for Jeff: Is more user testing needed? If so, now or later?
  • CAS-5124 (Jun): Improvements to PV-Diagram in the Viewer. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Juergen to test? (He's already commented on the ticket a bit before this).
  • CAS-3046 (Jun): Support and use of ephemeris table when available. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). To be tested by Dirk et al., with input from Bryan. <-- Update (June 27th): some testing done, and it seems to generally work, but an additional minor fix was committed as r25140.
  • CAS-5178 (Jun; originally Aug): Improved support for multiple cubes (spectral plotter). Awaiting tester assignment (currently assigned to Juergen). Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824).
  • CAS-5119 (Jun): Remove gaincurve and opacity flags from calibration tasks. Some (but not all) work done. Awaiting tester assignment. Currently ARTT in casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824).
  • CAS-4991 (Jun): memory usage for VLA pipeline prevents running more than one job per cluster node. Currently assigned to Bryan, but Claire's involved with this one too. Not yet in current stable; fix should be in latest test package, but Bryan thinks this is a larger issue. The pipeline will need to be run with the new dataset. This can be regarded as ongoing.
  • CAS-5213 (Jun): feathering GUI (casafeather) upgrade. Currently ARTT; should be in current stable. Assigned to Juergen for testing. <- Update (June 25th): Ed thinks that feathering works well enough for now, and that this ticket should not be treated as a priority right now.
  • CAS-4053 (May): specfit dictionary should return coordinates. Currently ARTT; should be in current stable. Assigned to Juergen for testing.

Ready for Retesting

  • CAS-5049(May+): Viewer parent ticket. Assigned to Adam. Two subtasks currently "Ready To Test" in Jira (CAS-5101 <- Update: Now resolved and CAS-5025: see below).
    • CAS-5101 (May): Issues with Channels/Images with multiple images loaded - Subtask of CAS-5049. Adam: Currently ARTT. Adam. <- Update (June 25th) One small, lingering question, but effectively completed (and hence resolved in the ticket).
  • CAS-5216 (Jun): moment image has malformed header. Ticket currently ARTT in May casapy-stable (May 2013; r24824). Assigned back to Remy to check.

Items Currently Being Tested

  • CAS-5084 (May): Testing multi-term support in pclean. Should already be ARTT for 4.2 (as it's already experimental in 4.1). Needs VLA testers assigning, so the ticket's currently with Bryan.
  • CAS-5043 (May): immoments gives unhelpful error for linear coordinate. Currently ARTT. To be tested by Remy: awaiting tester feedback.
  • CAS-5182 (May): Cannot change from Galactic to J2000 for GBT pipeline image - Currently ARTT. Adam had done some testing of this. Sounds like it basically works, but is very clunky, and has some gotchas associated with it due to the use of imregrid "get" calls. See new Action Item below.
  • CAS-4082 (May): Viewer to allow loading of a partial image (OTF Subcube) - Should be ARTT. Instructions in ticket. Being tested by Jen.
  • CAS-4754 (May): Create a new framework with a new task and tool to replace applycal concat, cvel, partition, hanningsmooth and split. Currently (partially) ARTT. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment. Significant documentation of the mstransform task is linked from the ticket. See also the list of subtasks below (r24639; included in May stable). NOTE: This is a major item, and will need significant effort assigned.
    • CAS-4848 (May): Add capability in MSTransform framework to separate SPWs. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment.
    • CAS-4846 (May): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply Hanning Smoothing. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment.
    • CAS-4845 (May): Add capability in MSTransform framework to change the reference frame. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment.
    • CAS-4900 (Jun): Add capability in MSTransform framework to apply channel average. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment.
    • CAS-4865 (Jun): I/O Infrastructure in the MSTransform framework. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Question for Jeff: does this specifically need human science user testing?
    • CAS-4863 (Jun): Add capability in MSTransform framework to split a data selection. To be tested as part of CAS-4754. Still awaiting user tester(s) assignment.

Upcoming Test Items

  • CAS-3116 (Jun): Comprehensive computation of spectral index from image(s). Ticket currently "Open", but preliminary task interface completed. Laura Perez will be testing this for the VLA. ALMA will hold off on testing this for now, pending the VLA testing. Now flagged as RTT by developer. Should be included in June stable package.
  • CAS-4959 (Jun): imregrid: When using image templates, the default shape used should be that of the template (not the input image). Now flagged as RTT by developer. Likely to be included in June stable package. Needs tester assignment (Mark?)
  • CAS-5252 (Jun): problems with display of optical velocity in the viewer. Now flagged as RTT by developer. Likely to be included in June stable package. Needs tester assignment (Dirk?)
  • CAS-5134 (Apr/Jun): viewer crashes after certain interactive steps - Setting as RTT, pending June stable. Fix already in and successfully tested for one of the two problem cases given. Additional imview() crash item will be available for test in the June stable. Testing being done by Josh and Kristina. <- Update (June 25th): Kristina has recently posted new feedback of reproducible failure modes. Ticket assigned to Josh, as Mark can't currently assign it to Kristina (Jira restrictions).
  • CAS-4227 (Jun): Channel averaging displays average color, but not value. Currently RTT, pending June stable. To be tested by Miriam.
  • CAS-5211 (Jun): imfit fails with inexplicable error message (dies if minor axis > major axis). Currently RTT, pending June stable. To be tested by Ed Fomalont?
  • CAS-5111 (May): Implement autoboxing capability. Currently RTT. This one had previously been ARTT, and Crystal had looked at this and provided a problem case. A fix has been put in for this, and is awaiting the June stable before further testing.
  • CAS-4957 (Jun): We need a version of the aca.tp.cfg file written in LOC coordinates. Currently RTT, pending June stable. Todd to test. Awaiting real ALMA interferometry data for testing.
  • CAS-5219 (Jun): Address issue with verbosity of logs from image analysis tasks. Currently RTT, pending June stable. Needs tester assignment.
  • CAS-5241 (Jun): predictcomp showplot=False option does not work. Currently RTT, pending June stable. Todd to test?
  • CAS-5025 (Jun): Creating a rectangular region after clicking "delete all regions" crashes the viewer - Subtask of CAS-5049. Reopened recently, currently RTT; temporarily assigned to Mark for now. Fix put in (r24976). To be reassigned to Adam(?) pending becoming ARTT in the June casapy-stable.
  • CAS-4790 (Jun): Add support for time variable calibrators for Perley-Butler 2013 standard for setjy - Subtask of CAS-5156. Currently RTT, pending June stable. Awaiting user testing assignment.
  • CAS-4808 (Jun): make ImageBeamSet simpler - Underlying software modification, but can definitely be tested by users. Currently RTT, pending June(?) stable. Awaiting user testing assignment.
  • CAS-5274 (Jun): Cannot load region file in viewer unless a region already exists <-- (Update: new item, added following meeting). Currently RTT, pending June(?) stable. Awaiting user testing assignment (Adam?).

Developer Addressing Test Results

  • CAS-5142 (May): issues with the spectral profile tool (for inclusion in 4.2 release). Currently 'ARTT'. Tester: Jen(?). Additional note: bugfix - not explicitly listed in 4.2 spreadsheet yet.. Tested by Jen in casapy-stable 2013-05. Much better, but a couple of issue remain. Status changed to "Improvement Needed"/"Open" and assigned back to developer. <- Status updated back to 'RTT' (June 24th). Some additional fixes in, but not yet available in a testable build.

Input Required

(Nothing new to note)

Other issues

None.


Running List of Action Items

* Item Description: Review and rationalize imregrid-related tickets (including CAS-5182)
* Assignee: Mark
* Date Assigned: 2013-06-04
* Due Date: ASAP

* Item Description: Incorporate SD 4.2 deliverables list into Google spreadsheet
* Assignee: Mark
* Date Assigned: 2013-06-04
* Due Date: ASAP
- Started. Still needs full integration.

Standard Template Format:

* Item Description:
* Assignee:
* Date Assigned:
* Due Date:



-- MarkRawlings - 2013-06-13
Topic revision: r9 - 2013-09-17, MarkRawlings
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback