CASA User Testing Meeting Minutes - 2013-02-26, 09:00 Socorro / 11:00 Charlottesville



Present: Mark Rawlings (Chair), Juergen Ott (Secretary), Crystal Brogan, Bryan Butler, Kim Scott, Adam Leroy, Scott Schnee, Jeff Kern, Deb Shepherd, Josh Marvil, Kristina Nyland, Jen Meyer

Apologies: Claire Chandler


* Socorro: AOC-317; IP:

* Charlottesville: Room 331; IP:

Minutes (Main Points Only)

Adam asked about avoiding differences between the test, stable and public builds in the future: Jeff replied that they had previously all been assembled in slightly different ways, but that this was being addressed, and will not be the case in the future.

Adam suggested that for the GUI features testing, a checklist that mimics a regression test might be a good idea. This was generally agreed, but that the current meeting's main focus was on the testing of new features.

Regarding the scheduling of the meeting: the next meeting will take place in two weeks' time, but then we will see how it goes after that. The aim will be to start off with two in a row, but then possibly reduce the frequency.

Items for Mark to address in the spreadsheet:

  • Add a clear marker for any "Blocker" items.
  • Perform a general check through "bug fixes" and "miscellaneous" worksheets to ensure that nothing on them that's ready for testing gets missed out.
  • Specific line items for Mark to check on:
    • CAS-1880 (row 16); Mark thinks this probably isn't in the test build yet.
    • CAS-4632 (row 43); JIRA ticket updated.
    • CAS-4606 (row 75); Confirmed to be in the current stable. Approved as Ready For Testing.
    • Check through the status of the listobs tickets (see also the second worksheet) to just confirm that sufficient testing has been done.

Introduction to the new process

List of test users who will need new accounts for the CASA JIRA system: Jen and Scott.

Proposed draft agenda structure for future meetings (and frequency)

Question: should we follow the previously-proposed staggered structure (ALMA-only, both telescopes, VLA only), or simply work down as a whole?

A "top down" simple agenda was generally preferred. Mark will update the wiki pages and process document accordingly.

Upcoming key dates for CASA

Monthly User Testing Cycle: User testing period: 15th - end of each month General Development Cycle:
  • Test builds done weekly.
  • Stable builds done monthly (target for features)

  • Public releases done twice / year
    • Code Freeze Dates: March 15th, September 15th
    • Public Release Dates: April 15th, October 15th

It was agreed during the meeting that only when a new test version is published (approximately weekly) will be the point at which items marked as Ready To Test (RTT) go to being Approved as Ready To Test (ARTT). Once the changes have been made, Mark will notify Crystal, Bryan and Juergen accordingly.

Current testing items/issues (see also Google spreadsheet workbook)

Spreadsheet available here (still under development)

Any Other Business


Running List of Action Items

Standard Template Format:

  • Item Description:
    • Assignee:
    • Date Assigned:
    • Due Date:

-- MarkRawlings - 2013-02-25
Topic revision: r4 - 2013-02-26, MarkRawlings
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback