Agenda

CASA/JIVE VLBI Coordination Meeting

2021 Jun 2 @ 1400UTC

Logistics

  • Future Meeting dates (usually last Wed of the month):
    • 2021 Jun 30 @ 1400 UTC
    • 2021 Jul 28?

General Admin

  • General Status w.r.t. Coronavirus measures
    • NRAO/ALMA:
      • NRAO in North America continuing work@home; protocols relaxing for vaccinated staff.
      • ALMA has started science observing "Initial + Basic Science Operations Phase"
    • ASTRON/JIVE
      • Science/computing staff continuing work-at-home for now
  • CASA Release Schedule
    • CASA 5.8/6.2: Released on 2021 Jun 1
    • CASA 6.3: "Bug-fix" release ~June-ish?
      • NB: no 5.9!
      • OSX 10.14, 10.15 (11=Big Sur unlikely)
    • CASA 6.2.1: ALMA-specific (PL) bug-fixes ~August
    • CASA 6.4: End of year?
      • OSX 10.15, 11 (CAS-13405)
    • Release version OS/python matrix (from Ryan)
  • Requirements collation: 2020 May 07 document / VLBA Costing/Prioritization (2020 May 21)
    • Ready updates (completed items to appendix, etc.)
  • (Ryan) CNGI/ngCASA Status:
    • Demo 'release' of prototype package status?
      • (Delayed by managing a very large dataset for benchmarking)
      • (Mark) Intending to look at VLBI datasets via converter
    • FYI: CNGI Development instructions
  • Admin issues
    • (Ryan) Revised CASA Management Plan (reinforcing development practices, including documentation, correctness standards, code reviews, limited use of engineering tasks, monthly releases)
    • casa6 build instructions coming soon!
  • Meetings/workshops of relevance
    • ?
  • VLBI Integration Branch: CAS-13295
  • Other?

Development

  • CASA 6.3+6.4 prioritization complete
  • Ongoing maintenance/development CASA 6.3/6.4 JIRA (VLBI) Status
    • Nearly ready for validation/merge-to-master for 6.3 (waiting for 5.8/6.2 branching)
      • (Mark, CAS-13270) Handle NaNs in imported Tsys. Merged.
      • (Des, CAS-13224?) memory management improvements in fringefit. (already essentially validated by Janssen)
      • (Mark, CAS-8550) Pulsar-binned and single-IF import now not blocked by sys power support in exportuvfits; Need to coordinate casacore merge after 5.8/6.2 branching (pending CAS-11860?). The casacore uprev in progress on CAS-13442.
      • (Mark, CAS-13383) Mixed polarization basis conversion for JIVE. Merged.
      • Need to push these to/thru verification, to be poised for validation and merge (George to liase with Jen on validation)
    • Ongoing for 6.3+6.4
      • (George, CAS-12735; 12765,12553; 12954,10276) Frequency meta-info (work continues...)
      • (Mark, CAS-13466) AveragingTvi2 preavg opt-out for fringefit: Ready for verification and validation.
        • (CAS-13287 chunking error in AveragingTvi2 for certain conditions; under separate investigation)
      • (Mark, CAS-13266) Per-scan interpolation via overloading per-obs mechanism.
        • Awaiting review by George
      • (Des, CAS-13056) Overlapping solution intervals
        • Initial implementation awaiting review by George
      • (Neal, CAS-13005) Handle refant exhaustion better. Neal to add warnings for pathological cases
      • (Mark, CAS-13473) (new) Permit smoothcal for accor solutions: Arranging for verification test
    • Underway for 6.3+6.4
      • (Des, CAS-13361) Polarization combination for fringefit. (deploy for fringefit 6.3, other things for 6.4?)
        • Awaiting review by George
      • (Mark, CAS-13003). EOP update (6.4).
    • Other/Miscellaneous
      • (Mark/Des) Using external storage managers (DysCo) with CASA 6. (Offringa). Prospects for adding to casacore?
      • CAS-12485: OTF weight munging for solve (Can we complete validation and deploy? Des seeking interested users at JIVE)
      • (George/Justin) to coordinate initial testing on CASR-463 (TEC) to better characterize basic requirements (also CAS-13040 re TEC retrieval changes)

AOB

-- GeorgeMoellenbrock - 2021-06-01
Topic revision: r1 - 2021-06-01, GeorgeMoellenbrock
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback