Minutes in bold.

CASA/JIVE VLBI Coordination Meeting

Attendance: George, Mark, Des, Ilse, Justin, Ryan, Neal.

2021 Dec 15 @ 1500UTC


  • Future Meeting dates:
    • 2022 Jan 12 @ 1500 UTC Technical meeting
    • 2022 Jan 26 @ 1500 UTC Coordination meeting

General Admin

  • General Status w.r.t. Coronavirus measures
    • NRAO/ALMA:
      • NRAO in North America now officially fully-vaccinated and "back to work", with masking/SD protocols still in place. ALMA now back to ~near-normal, w/ care. Remaining cautious...
      • ASTRON (and JIVE) working mainly from home. (Netherlands on lockdown a few days later...)
  • Upcoming CASA Release Schedule
  • (Justin) Stakeholder prioritization
  • Documentation and related
    • (Mark) Collated requirements (2021 July 02) ...status?
      • Finished, linked (pdf) to main CASA/JIVE VLBI Coord page. Mark will add to JIVE git repo (where ancillary data scripts live) so we can better keep track of versions
    • (Des/George) Fringefit memo...status? George to add some general calibration context (cf for CASA VLBI paper)
    • (Justin) VLBA CASA Recipe complete: VLBA Scientific Memo 38 (pdf)
      • Justin appreciates the comments received!
    • (Ilse) CASA VLBI Paper planning...status?
      • Last meeting Nov 30, another coming on Dec 21
      • Nearing a reasonably complete first draft
      • To be submitted to PASP, likely following genera CASA paper. (PASP editor Jeff Mangum on board and encouraing)
  • CASA repo/build logistics
    • (Ryan/George) CASA repo re-org for sunset of CASA 5 (CAS-13461)
      • remember to migrate c++ tests as needed.
    • Building c++ unit tests in CASA 6 from Darrell (CAS-13461) (still some issues with google tests?)
      • George to systematically organize calibration-related tests (mostly google tests) in synthesis/MeasurementComponents (including VLBI-related)
    • VLBI Integration Branch: TBD
    • casa6 build instructions via vmware (from Ville)
      • Need clarity on building plotms, etc., in casa6 context. (From tech mtg)
  • Misc. Admin
    • (Ryan) Recruitment process for new VLBI developer complete; offer accepted!
      • Victor Desouza, lately of IRAM. Likely arrival late (N) spring, 2022.
    • (Ryan) New JIRA ticket conventions (see casa-staff Dec 9 email)
  • (Ryan) CNGI/ngCASA Status?
    • Demo 'release' of prototype package. CNGI info on casa webpage.
    • FYI: CNGI Development instructions
    • Some casa6 development to be considered using new technologies ("CNGI tech transition"), if adequately isolate-able.
      • Is there a tech-transfer doc materializing to guide planning of this in casa6 for 2022?
  • Meetings/workshops of relevance
    • SKA VLBI virtual meeting (2022 Feb 14-18). Ilse giving invited talk; Mark contributing on VLBI DR futures (incl. ngCASA-style technology).
  • Other admin?
    • JIVE soon to submit "Horizon 2020" proposal for tech development, possibly providing additional funding for CASA VLBI work a JIVE. May need letter of support from NRAO.


  • CASA 6.3+6.4 prioritization
  • Ongoing maintenance/development CASA 6.3/6.4 JIRA (VLBI) Status
    • Finished:
      • Mark, CAS-13622) FITS-IDI filler does not always update OBSERVATION table correctly (6.4.3)
        • Merged to 6.4.3.
    • Ongoing for 6.4.3
      • (Mark, CAS-13628) Dysco ("lossy" compression of MeasurementSets) (6.4.3)
        • Merged to 6.4.3
      • (Mark, CAS-13266) Per-scan interpolation via overloading per-obs mechanism. (6.4.3)
        • Good discussion on Nov 17 Tech meeting; some internal semantic changes pending (George)
      • (Des, CAS-13361) Polarization combination for fringefit. (6.4.3)
        • Under review by George (looks good, maybe some minor details to clean up...)
        • Short tech meeting followed this meeting; see CAS-13361 ticket for details.
      • (Des, CAS-13056) Overlapping solution intervals (6.4.4)
        • Awaiting review by George - plan to discuss at next Tech mtg (Jan 12)
      • (Des, ticket?) Turn on uvrange parameter in fringefit? (probably trivial to add)
        • Des to make ticket for 6.4.x
      • (Mark, CAS-13003). EOP update (6.4).
        • Anything to report?
    • Other/Miscellaneous
      • (George/Justin) CASR-463 (TEC) Need to follow-up on Justin's initial testing, which indicated edge (near-horizon) effects, spurious but cosmetic VLA-specificity, scientific differences in details? (Also some MeerKAT testing, via Bietenholz?)
      • (George, CAS-13287) AveragingTvi2 problems for certain conditions; under separate investigation (cf CAS-13466)
      • CAS-12485: OTF weight munging for solve (Can we complete validation and deploy? Des seeking interested users at JIVE)
      • (Mark, CAS-13700) Export/import UVFITS with Nant > 255. For 6.4.x
        • Mark has introduced required casacore fixes; will need proper validation at NRAO for AIPS compatibility. George to contact Urvashi.


  • n/a

-- GeorgeMoellenbrock - 2021-12-21
Topic revision: r1 - 2021-12-21, GeorgeMoellenbrock
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback