CASA/JIVE VLBI Coordination Meeting

2020 March 25 @ 1400UTC (NB: daylight-savings in NA, not yet in NL)


  • Future Meeting dates (usually last Wed of the month):
    • NEXT MEETING: 2020 April 29?? @ 1400 UTC
    • 2020 May 27?
    • 2020 Jun 24?

General Admin

  • General Status w.r.t. Coronavirus measures
    • NRAO/ALMA:
      • NRAO & ALMA staff working-from-home on best-efforts basis
      • VLA continuing to observe (NB: VLA C-config ends May 11; unclear if reconfig to B safe/possible if social distancing directives still in force at that point)
      • VLBA continuing to observe (NB: some lockdown conditions may affect operations in some US states (eg. CA))
      • ALMA telescope operations suspended; ALMA Cycle 8 Proposal Call open, but deadline delayed
      • Staff working at home (Likely to last until at least the start of June)
    • CASA
      • Work continuing on a best-efforts basis as we figure out what pace we can manage; group meeting this week on Google Meet worked reasonably well (~20 participants)
      • Timescales for 5.7/6.1 release and 5.8/6.2 planning and development TBD for the next week or two, as we find our equilibrium
  • Connection options for this meeting in future: skpye, google meet, nrao polycom hub by phone, other?
  • New CASA git repository. See: casa6 Any issues?
    • Need plotms build instructions (George will ask Pam for details...TBD)
    • Unclear how to make CASAshell work (George will followup...TBD)
    • CASA5 build possible within casa6 repository structure (George to provide simple instructions...TBD)
      • Both Des and Mark have a solution that works
    • Need instructions for running c++ unit (google) tests in 6.1 (Work ongoing on CASA side, stay tuned...)
  • Current VLBI Integration branch: CAS-12325.
    • Will make new VLBI integration branch from new repository soon, modulo items that move out of CAS-12325 in current work (these should be satisfied in 5.7/6.1 release)
    • (Mark) Waiting for dust to settle on casa6 migration; new casa6 branch will likely be needed by summer.
  • (Mark) Requirements collation ConsolidatedRequirements
  • Work plan describing how/when CASA can replace AIPS (FY2020 NRAO/DMS Program Operating Plan)
    • Nominal plan: When Mark's Consolidated Req doc complete (~now), formulate plan to generate corresponding VLBA readiness doc (min req, timescales, etc.), anticipating completion by ~June.
  • Stakeholders' deliberations for 5.8/6.2 upcoming
    • CASA 5.8/6.2 decoupled from ALMA/EVLA pipeline planning (though 5.7.x patches likely for them). Casa6 repo will roll over to 6.2/5.8 in April?, anticipating an October? release.
    • George will soon add our priority items (see below) to the CASA 5.8/6.2 Stakeholders Requirements Confluence page.
  • (Ryan) CNGI Status?
  • Other admin?


  • Items for CASA 5.7/6.1 (Stakeholder inputs)
    • (George, CAS-695) Support correlation-dependent flagging, with user option.
      • In validation, some docs & release notes pending
      • (Mark) Related to this I'd like to discuss rerefant
    • (George, CAS-12735) Frequency meta-info consolidiation (see also CAS-12553)
      • DEFFERRED to 5.8/6.2, I'm afraid.
    • (Mark/George, CAS-12591) spwmap fix
      • In validation, some docs & release notes pending
    • (Des, CAS-12365,12653) Deploy dispersive term solve, including user term control
      • In validation
    • (Mark) MS concat bugfix on casacore github to CASA? (CAS-12872)
      • Finished? (latest noise on JIRA re updating test and other logistics)
  • Items for future cycles (future stakeholders discussions should include these items, at least):
    • (George) Items above dashed line to be included in 5.8/6.2 planning
      • (future bookkeeping likely to be centralized somehow on confluence and/or JIRA, too avoid needing to maintain this manual list)
    • (George) (CAS-12735) Finish frequency meta-info consolidation (CAS-12735)
    • (who?) (CAS-?) VLBI-related calibration plotting
      • In plotms? Mark made a start with this at some point but got stuck...
    • (Mark/George) (CAS-8546) GAINCURVE definition, deployment of standardization (deployment --> 5.8/6.2)
      • In progress; started on importfitsidi code in casacore...
    • (Des) (CAS-12765) Wide bandwidth (deployment in CASA --> 5.8/6.2)
    • (George/Des) (CAS-?) Convert CC tables to image or ComponentListfor resolved model-setting
    • (George) (CAS-?) Per-scan interpolation option?
    • (George) (CAS-?) Overlapping solution intervals (CASR-467, CASR-468)?
    • (Mark) EOP: formalize import of (DifX) correlator model, update EOP (or other, e.g., troposphere) part, and difference to obtain required delay calibration
    • - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    • (As of completion of requirements doc and related, the list below will be removed from this forum)
    • (Des/George) PCAL (Des has ad hoc scripts, need updated prioritization from VLBA since this is not a high EVN priority; not a high priority at NRAO/VLBA in the near term
    • (George) Polarization calibration w/ resolved calibrators
    • (Des) CAS-12485? fringefit weighting control (test data options pending)
    • (Des) Baseline stacking?
    • Opacity for high-frequency VLBI, derived from Tsys(sec(z))
    • TEC
    • (Walter) Advanced VLBA Amplitude calibration a la Walker memo from a few years ago?
      • Bandpass normalization flexibility: voltage vs. power


  • n/a


  • n/a

-- GeorgeMoellenbrock - 2020-03-23
Topic revision: r3 - 2020-03-24, MarkKettenis
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback