Minutes in Bold

CASA/JIVE VLBI Coordination Meeting

2019 August 21 @ 1400UTC

Attendance: George, Justin, Mark, Des, Ryan


  • Future Meeting dates (usually last Wed of the month):
    • NEXT Meeting: 2019 Oct 30, 1400 UTC
    • 2019 Nov 27? (Will probably revise due to Thanksgiving, vacations, etc.)

General Admin

  • CASA 5.6.0 released 2019 Aug 08
    • CASA 6.0 pending
    • CASA 5.6.1 / ALMA pipeline release pending (mid-September)
  • EHT-related article planned for next newsletter, ~October
    • Contribution from Michael Janssen, via Ilse
  • (Mark) EHT polarization workshop: report
    • Workshop utilized EHTimager, LPCAL (AIPS), and Ivan Marti-Vidal's python version of LPCAL with CASA.
    • Data with parang already corrected, so not conditioned for standard CASA polarimetry processing.
    • Should discuss migration of Marti-Vidal's python LPCAL (resolved calibrator polarization fitting) into standard CASA
    • Mark has made some fixes in exportuvfits for mount types (for parallactic angle calculation).
  • Justin Linford now in Socorro (VLBA)
    • VLBA Stakeholder presence
  • (Ryan) CASA Next Generation Infrastructure
    • Trade study ~complete
    • Conceptual Design Review pending (~September)
    • Recently attended scipy conference; dask, python data frames
  • George/Ryan to ADASS in Groningen Oct 7-11
    • George to JIVE Oct 12-16ish. Will discuss several items enumerated below.
    • Des to present VLBI poster. Other JIVE presentations include MS plotting and integrating CASA with Jupyter notebooks.
  • Other admin?


  • (Mark) Requirements collation ConsolidatedRequirements....Any news?
    • Living document, Mark adding text periodically
  • VLBI Integration branch: CAS-12325
  • Items for CASA 6.0
    • (Mark) fringefit task: coordinating with Bob Garwood. Ok?
    • Mark waiting for reply from Bob. Still time to finish up
  • Stakeholder inputs for CASA 5.7/6.1
    • See VLBI section
    • George has added notes. Will add some derived items to actual 5.7/6.1 delivery plan at: CASA 5.7/6.1
    • Glendenning has requested VLBI work plan describing how/when CASA can replace AIPS (needed sometime during FY2020)
  • Items for CASA 5.7/6.1 (need CAS tickets for many of the following)
    • (George) Support correlation-dependent flagging, with user option (CAS-695). (High 5.7 priority for GM)
    • (Mark) Spectral-line / astrometry support
      • Fringe fitting on a single channel (or multiple channels with delay turned off) (CAS-12553)
        • With a bit more work to refine, will deliver for 5.7.
      • Spectral window mapping issues (CAS-12591)
        • George to investigate caltable portability aspect of this issue further (5.7)
        • Also refFreq issues (will discuss in October, or before)
      • Updated EOP corrections
        • Ongoing investigation/development continues; should coordinate with fixvis, antpos and similar (Mark/George to discuss in October).
    • (Des) Dispersive term solve, including user control and an FFT-based option for estimating the dispersive term. (Work continues for 5.7)
      • Must exist in code by end of year (funding progress report)
    • (George/Des) Convert CC tables to image or ComponentList for resolved model-setting
      • George/Des to discuss/develop in October
    • (Des) CAS-12485? fringefit weighting control
      • Need good use case for testing/validation. Des exploring test data options at JIVE.
    • (Des) Wide bandwidth (Work continues for 5.7)
      • Must exist in code by end of year (funding progress report)
    • (Des) Baseline stacking
    • (George) Per-scan interpolation option?
    • (George) Overlapping solution intervals?
    • (Walter) Advanced VLBA Amplitude calibration a la Walker memo from a few years ago?
      • Bandpass normalization flexibility: voltage vs. power


  • (George) CAS-12591: CTPatchedInterp spectral window mapping bug (see above)
    • Needs further investigation.... I suspect this requires additional work addressing differing spw populations in MS and CalTable (portability)
  • (Des) Michael Janssen has found a so-far unreproducible bug... Progress?
    • Related to peculiar GSL return codes....
  • (Mark) Will soon commit data to DR for fringefit verification tests; also scripts. Will coordinate with Darrel and Ville.


-- GeorgeMoellenbrock - 2019-08-21
Topic revision: r2 - 2019-08-22, MarkKettenis
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback