Thursday Morning Meeting - 15 June 2017

  • DIAL-IN NUMBERS & PASSCODES:
  • IP: 192.33.117.12##8110
  • Phone: (434) 817-6524

Attendance

  • Socorro: Federico, Enrique, Urvashi, Pam, Lindsey, Martin, George, Juergen, Kumar
  • CV: Anand, Morgan, Akeem, Andy, Jeff, Bob, Jen, Darrell, Ville, Dave
  • Garching:
  • SCO:

News / Meetings / Visitors

  • NRAO Budget Summit - priorities are VLASS, SRDP, and ngVLA, details being finalized
    • Likely a new architect position will be created different from Jim Jacob's position
    • Morgan will discuss management of CASA infrastructure with Kumar and anyone else interested
  • CASA Coordination Team meeting minutes are here: CASACoordinationTeam
  • Staffing
    • CASA Lead - initial phone interviews finished, candidates chosen for in-person interviews
    • CARTA - reviewing resumes for initial phone interviews
  • CARTA - Socorro - June 19-23, participants from ASIAA, South Africa, Canada, and NRAO
  • Chin-Fei Lee - Socorro - June 27-28
  • Joe & Brian K. - Socorro - ~last week of Jun3, working on VLASS pipeline

Build, Release

* Don't forget to add "Release Notes:" section in the end of the feature branch pull requests.

Verification Testing

  • A couple of failing tests
    • RH6 and OSX - test_plotweather, alma-ngc3256-analysis
    • OSX only - pipelineTest, test_statwt2 (captured on CAS-10013)

Validation Testing

  • CASA 5.0 Status

MUST-HAVES FOR 5.0
  • plone
    • (literally hundreds of tickets, most unfinished individual pages being descoped to 5.1; exceptions being the "help in CASA" page and "visibility data selection" chapter)
    • (tickets covering the functionality of plone are blockers to 5.0)
    • CAS-10121 (ready for testing again)
  • autoboxing
    • CAS-9208 C++ implementation of the new autoboxing algorithm
    • CAS-10263 tclean fails to exit when auto-multithresh finds no regions
  • mstransform issues with averaging
    • CAS-9853 mstransform (regridms=True) implementation of correct gridding (JDM)
  • simulations (Andrew has been testing Remy's new features for quite some time, I believe it's almost done)
    • CAS-8592, CAS-3458 (as well as 9 related documentation tickets)
  • VI/VB2 validation: tclean
    • CAS-10050 tclean testing ticket with 10 subtickets (some tickets, not listed here, will be tested for 5.1):
      • CAS-10191 polarization (Andrew)
      • CAS-10192 single dish imaging (Catarina)
      • CAS-10194 basic testing
      • CAS-10195 VLA/awproject (asked Claire and Steve for help, but nothing yet) (overlaps with CAS-9493?)
      • CAS-10197 model column (Remy)
      • CAS-10198 VLASS (asked Claire for help)
      • CAS-10206 MMSes and lists of MSes (Rachel)
  • VI/VB2 validation: calibration
    • CAS-10200 testing new iterator: manual calibration path (Rachel)
  • MSSelector testing
    • CAS-8050 Remove obsolete MS selection framework MSSelector from ms tool (Tom)
    • CAS-8283 MSContinuumSubtractor::subtract (Tom)

Architecture

HPC

Development

Pipeline

  • Pipeline test problem on OSX.
  • John Hibbard has gone to Chile to take DMG lead role. Remy has stepped in as temporary subsystem scientist. Lindsey will talk with Remy next week.

AOB

  • CASA Lead search -- meeting later today to select candidates for in-person interviews. Will discuss whether or not open presentations will be given.
    • This is a software engineering position.
    • Will organize a lunch with in-person candidates. At least one candidate will come to Socorro. Others may go to Socorro or Charlottesville.
  • CARTA meeting -- There is an agenda on the CASA meeting pages, but it is out of date. Jeff will add a link to Google agenda.
  • DMS software talk this afternoon on SCRUM.
  • This will be Jeff's last CASA meeting as CASA Group Lead.

Developer Reports

Monday Meeting
  • Sanjay Bhatnagar
  • Sandra Castro
  • Lindsey Davis
  • Pam Ford
    • Responded to validation testing and fixed bugs for CAS-8050 (Replace MSSelector with VIVB2 and MSSelection in ms tool)
    • Continued work on overplotting atmospheric transmission curve CAS-9053
  • Enrique Garcia
    • Many interesting discussions with NRAO colleges, mainly about VI/VB2
    • CAS-9864: Update documentation
    • CAS-10013: Integration of StatWt within mstransform
    • Fixed CAS-9985.
  • Bob Garwood
    • More code archaeology comparing CASA and ALMA.
      • Updates to ALMA to incorporate CASA changes and are scheduled for the AUG2017 release (ALMA)
      • As soon as those are in ALMA and validated, CASA will be updated to agree with ALMA.
    • Working on move of ASDM + generated (and related shared c++ code) into separate package, working on ALMA Makefile modifications
  • Kumar Golap
  • Jeff Kern
  • David Mehringer
  • George Moellenbrock
  • Dirk Petry
  • Martin Pokorny
    • Asynchronous I/O CDR -- will be scheduled for next Tuesday
  • Federico M Pouzols
    • CAS-10036: "flagdata not flagging data!" (with RFlag and correlation selections). I think the code is working well, see ticket for explanations and test code.
    • CAS-9089 "automatic generation of antenna position corrections from web service / ALMA TMCDB". Getting closer to figuring out the position details with the help of George, Eric Villard and hopefully more colleagues.
    • Will be looking into flagging issues: CAS-5808 "rflag's use of timedev and timedevscale parameters", CAS-8461 "Flagdata's scan list in log-reports per chunk", CAS-5727 "flagdata mode="summary" ignores antenna selection".
    • Discussions around frequency binning and TVIs
  • Urvashi Rao
  • Darrell Schiebel
  • Ville Suoranta
    • Babysitting Bitbucket/Bamboo
    • Investigated CAS-10263
    • Investigating TkInter.Tk() crash with MacPorts on OSX Sierra
    • Carta refresher
  • Takahiro Tsutsumi
    • Fixed zero mask handling (CAS-10263) - has been merged to the 5.0 release branch
    • Automask segfault (CAS-10210) - has been merged to the 5.0 release branch
    • Propagated the some fixes done for 5.0 release branch to master
Friday NAOJ Meeting
  • Kanako Sugimoto
    • A fix to channel frequency definition in atmosphere tool ( CAS-10228): merged both to the release branch and master.
    • Fixes to an issue of atmosphere tool generation ( CAS-10229): support generation of local atmosphere tool by attool() method. Addition of close() and done() methods. tool generation codes are currently duplicated in 3 different places. It would be better refactoring and unifying them.
    • Discussion of a fix to channel frequency definition in ATM library with Justo ( CAS-9762). The code is fixed by Juan Padro as requested but not in efficient way. But it works anyway, so I will leave it to Justo and TELCAL team.
  • Wataru Kawasaki
  • Masaya Kuniyoshi
  • Takeshi Nakazato
    • Validated CAS-10249 (gcwrap CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX issue) ---> Resolved (merged to master)
    • Created and Worked on CAS-10267(importasap crash) ---> Under Validation
      • test data looks invalid. It contains duplicate rows (WVR spw, same data, same timestamp, and same metadata except subscan number).
    • test_sdimaging failed two times in release testing (CASA-R5TS3-16, CASA-R5TS3-TOSIERRA-17)
      • however, second one seems to be a false alarm. sent an e-mail to Ville.
  • Renaud Miel
    • CAS-8082 PlotMS header. Migrated to git, created branch, merged code (svn/git), pushed code to branch for review
-- PamFord - 2017-06-14
Topic revision: r17 - 2017-06-29, JaredCrossley
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback