Monday Morning Meeting February 13, 2017

  • DIAL-IN NUMBERS & PASSCODES:
  • IP: 192.33.117.12##8110
  • Phone: (434) 817-6524

Minutes in blue.

Attendance

  • Socorro: Jeff, Lindsey, Pam, Martin, George, Tak, Kumar, Urvashi
  • CV: Ville, Darrel, Jen, Anand, Andy Akeem, Bob, Dave,
  • Garching: Sandra, Erique, Fredrico
  • SCO:

News / Meetings / Visitors

  • No meeting next Monday, February 20 -- US holiday
  • Jeff has accepted the role of SRDP director. Formally, his last day as CASA lead will be March 20. In reality there will be a transition period beyond March 20 in which he is assisting his successor with getting up to speed.

Build, Release

  • OSX1012 and OSX1011 intermittent ic2233 errors.
  • RHEL6 test server host down
  • RHEL7 test issues resolved
  • It appears we will have to release CASA 4.7.2:
    • In pipeline there is a bug that affects an indeterminate number of projects in a bad way.
    • Configurations for ALMA cycle 5 were not uploaded properly into the repository.

Verification Testing

  • 4 Mac Minis and a new Linux server for build/testing uses have been cleared to order
  • Jeff has reviewed and approved Andy's task test list. I'll begin putting in JIRA tickets for developers to create task level tests that don't currently exist
    • A couple of questions for some existing tasks: history/are they very useful?
      • plotprofilemap - makes spectral profile map from specified image; the task accepts both CASA image and FITS cube as an input.
        • Tak was the last person to work on this.
      • find - Find string in tasks, task names, parameter names.
        • Sandra was the last person to work on this.
      • Anand will bring these tasks up for discussion at the next stakeholders meeting.
  • tclean test timeout issue - still under investigation
  • Do developers run regression tests from inside CASA?
    • The script that does this is currently not working in the new framework - is there any need to update it?
    • Dave does run these tests. (publish summary)
    • Darrell will add Instructions for doing this to Plone.
  • Future work - getting the CASAguides running in bamboo
    • Akeem will discuss with Darrell. This requires import of data into repository.

Validation Testing

  • CASA Documentation
  • Setjy is assigned to Tak. If something new is needed, we will talk w/ Tak.
  • Tclean - task page is as ready as it will be for a while.
    • Description of items to be added in future will be left in document.
  • Urvashi will prune task links on the synthesis imaging page.
  • CASA Doc command: doc command is in. DS does not have a mapping from task names to URLs.

Architecture

HPC

  • mpi4casa:
    • Issues with log origin getting mixed up in pipeline logs when running in parallel (CAS-9548). Some tasks do not set log origin, which might be the reason for the mix.
  • Accepted tests in Bamboo (HPC-related tests):
    • alma-m100 serial version with clean fails in Bamboo due to changes in peak and RMS of phase calibrator images.
    • alma-m100 parallel version with clean passes. TBV the differences between this version and the one above.
    • alma-m100 parallel version with tclean fails in SynthesisImagerVi2.cc, line 324): "Error in building Coordinate System and Image Shape".
  • ALMA pipeline testing:
    • Latest parallel run on full pipeline failed in stage 19 with the same error as above (CASA and pipeline v39532). SynthesisImagerVi2.cc, line 324): "Error in building Coordinate System and Image Shape".
  • EVLA pipeline testing:
    • The long VLASS parallel run got stuck due to the setting of detailed flag summaries (CAS-9330). Brian suggested I should set to False the parameter in hifv_applycals(flagdetailedsum=True). Restarted the run with this change, but it stopped in the same place. TBV.

Development

  • CASA Docs
    • Plone pages that need work are listed in this Google sheet.
    • The following staff need to take action this week:
      • Juergen
      • Jeff
      • Dirk P
      • Anand
      • Sanjay
      • Tak
      • George
      • Urvashi
      • Kumar
      • Erik R.
      • Remy
      • Eiji
      • Bob
    • You can also view your CASA Docs tasks in JIRA using the My Plone Tasks filter.

Pipeline

  • Development
    • ALMA observing session support
    • EVLA polarization calibration task / heuristics
    • VLASS image list generation heuristics
    • ALMA outlier flagging heuristics
  • CASA issues
    • Matplotlib 'agg' backend support
    • VI/VB2 issues, setting export VI1=1 seems to bypass these

AOB

Developer Reports

Monday Meeting
  • Sanjay Bhatnagar
  • Sandra Castro
    • Plone documentation
    • JIRA ticket management
    • Updating ESO Jenkins tests to use new casa-toolset.
  • Lindsey Davis
    • CASA matplotlib backend 'agg' support discussions
    • CASA 5.0 testing, version checking, casa configuration and startup, matplotlib batch plotting
    • Improved ALMA reference antenna determination heuristics
  • Pam Ford
    • CAS-9482 Ready to Verify (plotting two datacolumns in plotms)
    • CAS-9650 Ready to Verify (bug fixes when plotting two y-axes in plotms)
    • CAS-8050 bug fix for channel selection with averaging in ms tool, after input from Enrique
      • with layered VIVB2, need to set channel selection in ChannelAverageTVI (spwExpr in configuration Record) and set FrequencySelectionUsingChannels in VI2
    • Plone docs on browsetable, plotants
    • Created certificate for gdb on OSX
      • CAS-9501 Selected region in plotms shown in wrong place on OSX 10.11 and RH7 --> must be Qwt 6.1 problem
  • Enrique Garcia
    • Reviewing ChannelAverageTVI. While looking for a fix to CAS-9441, it seems that there is a need to review the configuration options for ChannelAverageTVI ( CAS-9679).
      • A quick look shows that several classes are affected: FlagDataHandler, FreqAxisTVI, ms_cmpt, ConvolutionTVI, FreqAxisTVI, PhaseShiftingTVI, RegriddingTVI, UVContSubTVI.
    • Validation of UVContSubTVI with the new denoising lib. Review of the the problematic cases found by Jennifer ( CAS-8347). No differences found so far with uvcontsub or uvcontsub3. More detailed tests needed.
  • Bob Garwood
    • Investigated test_importasdm failure on RH 7 bamboo tests (appears to have been a resource problem on the test machine)
    • Continued to dig in to the flagger code (bdflags2MS).
    • Some work on the ASDM move out of the ALMA code tree.
  • Kumar Golap
  • Justo Gonzalez
  • Jim Jacobs
  • Jeff Kern
    • Jeff has written a response to the user committee. Comments on this are due today. Chair is pushing for use cases that he wants. Excited about CARTA.
  • David Mehringer
  • George Moellenbrock
  • Dirk Petry
  • Martin Pokorny
  • Federico M Pouzols
    • Working on CAS-5808 (timedev and timedevscale options for rflag), and CAS-9548 (logs issue in parallel/serial)
    • Looking at recent bug reports around mstransform: CAS-9695 (slicer error with combinespws), and CAS-9693 (slow split with spw selection).
  • Urvashi Rao
  • Darrell Schiebel
    • matplotlib adjustments
    • explored artifact repositories
    • explored options of moving data repository from subversion
    • cleaned up CASA startup messages
  • Ville Suoranta
  • Takahiro Tsutsumi
    • Fixed a bug in the new pruning code for automask. Checked in.
    • Took a few sick days off
Friday NAOJ Meeting
  • Kanako Sugimoto
  • Wataru Kawasaki
  • Masaya Kuniyoshi
  • Takeshi Nakazato
  • Renaud Miel

-- PamFord - 2017-02-10-- PamFord - 2017-02-10
Topic revision: r15 - 2017-02-13, JaredCrossley
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback