CASA Build and Test Group Meeting

Actual telecon/meeting cancelled by general agreement. Participants should still add comments/updates to the below as appropriate.

Charlottesville: Tuesday, 27th January, 2015, 18:00; Room ER331.

Socorro: Tuesday, 27th January, 2015, 16:00; Room ?.

Japan: Wednesday, 28th January, 2014, 08:00.


Note: In practice, these telecons are usually conducted via Google+ Hangouts/Voice (look for user: mgrawlings)

USA Toll Free Number: 866-901-8266

USA Toll Number: +1-203-566-3863




Post-meeting edits and additions are in blue text.


  • Libsakura
    • Takeshi's proposed work plan was as follows:
      • [ASAP] provide Sakura source code to Darrell for 10.10 build (Takeshi)
      • [ASAP] provide a build instruction of Sakura on OS X to Darrell (Takeshi)
      • [1/23] confirm the build of Sakura on OS X 10.10 (Darrell)
        • [1/26] OSX 10.10 arrived Jan/22, all (non-libsakura) third party packages are built, but I'm currently working on problems compiling casacore with Xcode 6.*
      • [1/23] create an instruction for creating Sakura rpm based on provided set of binary and header (Darrell)
        • [1/26] done
      • [1/23] feature freeze of Sakura (EA develpers)
      • [1/23] stabilize single dish branch (EA developers)
      • [1/28] create Sakura rpm based on Darrell's instruction, provide it to Darrell (Shinnosuke, Takeshi)
      • [1/28] build stabilized Sakura on 10.10 (Darrell)
        • [1/26] TBD
      • [1/30] put Sakura rpm to NRAO repository (Darrell)
        • [1/26] TBD
      • [1/30] include Sakura into third party for Mac (Darrell)
        • [1/26] TBD
      • [??] minor update of Sakura (EA developers)
  • Status of current CASA packages
    • Release - 4.3.0 out for OS X (10.8) and RHEL 5 and 6.
    • Some recent issues associated with local 4.3.0 deployment in Charlottesville - mostly worked through now.
  • Staffing
    • B&T Engineer position: Ville Suoranta has accepted the offer of the position and will be starting work in Charlottesville on February 21st.
    • Any news updates on Shinnosuke's replacement for B&T responsiblities yet?
  • Build and Test Review Status
    • No news. Review timeline still effectively on hold, pending above decisions regarding B&T hiring strategy.
  • Casacore unification - Being worked on now. For reference, Jim's proposed plan was as follows:
    • 0.5. Attempt to build against the GC casacore and identify problems. Done. Shinnosuke has effectively completed this task.
    • 0.75. Iteratively fix bugs and attempt to build again. This is Shinnosuke's B&T primary assignment for the short-term. Ongoing. Ger has been working with Shinnosuke on this. Shinnosuke has been working on gcwrap. Discussions with Ger are ongoing (see Jira ticket for details). Jim reported yesterday that the Google Code people are keen for the merge to proceed. Substantially now done? Shinnosuke has been in regular contact with Ger, who is still making changes to the Google Code version of casacore. Masaya had been performing verification of casacore on local NAOJ machines with the same regression that Darrell has used.
    • 1. Merge our Casacore into GC casacore. This will require us to flush all casacore mods in and then let Ger do the final merge (finally).
    • 2. Build CASA against GC casacore (platforms?)
    • 3. Test CASA/GC casacore against our various regression tests, etc.
    • 4. Create a Jenkins job that will handle B+T of codebase using GC casacore.
    • 5. Keep a cached, readonly copy of GC casacore locally(?) to prevent a glitch at googlecode from allowing us to build. Also we should maintain periodic a backup copies.
    • 6. Go live and live happily ever after. wink
  • B&T news from EA.
    • Masaya had worked on verification of the casa 4.3 on our machines (NAOJ) with the same regression data (10349) as Darrell used. This doesn't relate to gc-casacore job. But it relates to CASA-release 4.3 verification
    • Shinnosuke had been working on the casacore unification issue.
      • All of regression test and unittest has been done but there are about 10 failed tests. After this fixes, if all of tests were passed, we should verify our modifications of CASA(code/gcwrap/asap) which modifications were needed to compile with gc-casacore instead of nrao-casacore. After this verification, we should merge our branch to trunk, right?
    • source code of casa
      • source code of casa-3rd-party is modified at NRAO and then casa is distributed with binary 3rd-party?
  • B&T news from Charlottesville.
    • The new B&T OS X 10.10 Mac Mini has been delivered and is now in use.
    • Darrell has had some success with building the HTML version of the CASA Cookbook with Heava (a tool written in OCaml). Building the tool and task documentation is proving more difficult in practice. Mark plans to assign the cleanup of the process to the new B&T hire.
    • OS X packaging automation is a work in progress by Darrell. This is using Gradle and Groovy. Early runs showed it took 15 hours to complete (c.f. ~7 hours under Linux). More computing horsepower (and more efficient tests) may be needed.
    • Mark had written up the current and planned structures available so far, including version numbering. Iterated on documentation with Socorro (Rob) and EA (Kana). May need an edit to add instructions on starting with MPI? Still to write up: the process "behind the scenes"...
    • Darrell has been working with the HPC team on including MPI in the CASA packages. Associated automated tests were included briefly, but have been temporarily disabled.
    • Two new Macs are currently being set up for Andy Hale's testing group, but were awaiting external disk systems. Any status updates?
    • Darrell had previously discovered new supplemental RedHat software bundles. RedHat Developer Toolset and RedHat Software Collections:
  • Old Action Items
    • Andy: Discuss Jenkins test for check-ins on OS X with Alexis: same (or different?) smoke tests for OS X as for Linux? Related: machines in Socorro for this? (It was noted during the meeting that this AI is not a pressing issue at this point). Andy had started to have some discussion with Alexis about this. Smoke tests will be run on the new Test Group Macs. They still need to discuss test coverage for OS X and Linux. THIS AI IS ONGOING.
    • Action Item on the B&T Group: Review Justo's document and come up with a plan forward. DONE?
    • Action Item on Mark: Raise the Boost issue with the relevant CASA managers: do we want to work towards getting rid of Boost in CASA, or embrace it? In the past, it had been indicated that when we switch to C++11 the HPC/MPI C++ code could transition to C++11 and that Boost MPI could be phased out. Justo feels that this is not the case, but Darrell thinks it could probably still be avoided.Adopting Boost MPI as the basis for our C++ parallelization would effectively mean adopting Boost permanently (in which case, we might as well embrace it?). Darrell advocates a standalone test program to establish whether or not C++11 alone can do the job. Issue raised with Jeff & Jim - no reply so far?
    • Action Item on Mark: Raise the following question with the relevant CASA managers: Would it be acceptable to the CASA management to ship CASA for Linux with MPI, but for Mac OS X without it? (Foreseen possible objections: Users might be confused/complain; they still might want to use a Mac as a controller system). Issue raised with Jeff & Jim - response: don't worry about Macs (at least for now). Done.
    • * Action Item on Mark: Raise the issue of software license conformance with Jeff and Joe, just to make sure we're doing the right thing.Issue previously raised; no reply so far.
    • Action Item on Darrell (with Justo): Review and discuss further the Boost dependencies. Ongoing?
  • Next meeting: February 10th, 2015.
  • Any Other Business
    • TBA

New Action Items Arising

    • TBA

-- MarkRawlings - 2015-01-26
Topic revision: r4 - 2015-01-27, MarkRawlings
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback