CASA Build and Test Group Meeting
Tuesday, 16th December, 2014, 18:00; Room ER331. NOTE: By general agreement, this meeting was canceled.
Tuesday, 16th December, 2014, 16:00; Room ?.
Wednesday, 17th December, 2014, 08:00.
DIAL-IN NUMBERS & PASSCODES:
In practice, these telecons are usually conducted via Google+ Hangouts/Voice (look for user: mgrawlings
USA Toll Free Number:
USA Toll Number:
Mark Rawlings, Darrell Schiebel, Shinnosuke Kawakami, Akeem Wells, Andy Hale
Post-meeting edits and additions are in blue text.
- Status of current CASA packages
- Release - 4.2.2 out for OS X (10.8) and RHEL 5 and 6. 4.2.2 release has been successfully installed in Japan.
- 4.3 pre-release tarball packages made available to testers in Chile and Japan. Installed on testing machines in Charlottesville and Socorro. 4.3 pre-release for OS X subsequently made available to testers in Charlottesville.
- One remaining 4.3 release blocker items. Aiming to release this week?
- New CASA Project Manager, Joe Depa, now in Socorro. Met and chatted with CASA staff in CV last week.
- Shortlist of applications for B&T engineer assembled. Three interview candidates for this position has been established. Onsite interviews scheduled to take place in January (e-mail from HR).
- Build and Test Review Status
- No news. Review timeline still effectively on hold, pending above decisions regarding B&T hiring strategy.
- Casacore unification - Being worked on now. For reference, Jim's proposed plan was as follows:
- 0.5. Attempt to build against the GC casacore and identify problems. DONE. Shinnosuke has effectively completed this task.
- 0.75. Iteratively fix bugs and attempt to build again. This is Shinnosuke's B&T primary assignment for the short-term. Ongoing. Ger has been working with Shinnosuke on this. Shinnosuke has been working on gcwrap. Discussions with Ger are ongoing (see Jira ticket https://bugs.nrao.edu/browse/CAS-6929 for details). Jim reported yesterday that the Google Code people are keen for the merge to proceed. PROGRESSING.
- 1. Merge our Casacore into GC casacore. This will require us to flush all casacore mods in and then let Ger do the final merge (finally).
- 2. Build CASA against GC casacore (platforms?)
- 3. Test CASA/GC casacore against our various regression tests, etc.
- 4. Create a Jenkins job that will handle B+T of codebase using GC casacore.
- 5. Keep a cached, readonly copy of GC casacore locally(?) to prevent a glitch at googlecode from allowing us to build. Also we should maintain periodic a backup copies.
- 6. Go live and live happily ever after.
- B&T news from EA.
- Many/most of the CASA 4.3 Single Dish jobs that had been done have been merged into the release branch now. Lots of testing has been done recently.
- Shinnosuke has been working on the casacore unification issue.
- B&T news from Charlottesville.
- Most of the new package production system is now in place. Already pushed out to CASA developers nodes in Socorro. Holding back on data reduction cluster deployment in CV - probably to be deployed post-4.3 release now. Semi-automated testing for OS X now working. A full run-through of the automated test suite takes 18 hours!
- Mark has written up the current and planned structures available so far, including version numbering. Iterated on documentation with Socorro (Rob) and EA (Kana). Still to write up: the process "behind the scenes"...
- The 4.3 release branch is now pretty mature. Developers should continue to check in all subsequent 4.3 bug fixes to both trunk and release.
- Updates to the launcher wrapper made available, supporting launch of the pre-release packages. User testers now have access to the pre-release package for 4.3 bug fix testing, including an OS X 10.8 package. OS X packaging automation is a work in progress by Darrell. He is currently experimenting with doing this using Gradle and Groovy. Some changes have been made regarding initial linking on OS X.
- Two new Macs are scheduled to be set up for Andy Hale's testing group. Probably available in January?
- Old Action Items
- Action Item on Darrell (with Justo): Review and discuss further the Boost dependencies. Ongoing?
- Kana: Send notes to Darrell on how to retrieve and build libsakura. This will be attempted in isolation on a test machine in Charlottesville, to allow Darrell to assess its implications for RPM-based installations, developer machine environments, etc. DONE. Darrell was going to get back to her on this.
- Andy: Discuss Jenkins test for check-ins on OS X with Alexis: same (or different?) smoke tests for OS X as for Linux? Related: machines in Socorro for this? (It was noted during the meeting that this AI is not a pressing issue at this point).
- Next meeting: January 13th, 2015
- Any Other Business
New Action Items Arising