Monday Morning Meeting April 6, 2015

  • USA Toll Free Number: 866-901-8266
  • USA Toll Number: +1-203-566-3863


  • Socorro: Jeff, Lindsey, Tak, George, Kumar, Susan, Martin, Jim
  • CV: Mark, Akeem, Ville, Dave
  • Garching:
  • SCO:

News / Meetings / Visitors

  • Departure of Joe Depa
  • HPC meeting in Socorro June 22 - 27
  • CASA Survey

Build, Release, Testing

  • 4.4 Release:
    • Status: OSX 10.9 and 10.10 build exist.
      • Need to get the tests to run
    • Failing Tests: ListVis, 3C219D
    • PlotMS: Some timings have improved
      • Still need address issues with the counting


  • Technical Forums:




  • EVLA pipeline / CASA 4.3.1 commissioning: intent and display issues resolved, user testing resumed
  • Pipeline / CASA 4.4. testing: plotms averaging bug resolved by Pam, some timings improved after fix, timings better, further timing tests TBD
  • Pipeline HPC testing: open file issues in EVLA pipeline resolved, time sinks under investigation
  • Pipeline development: frequency region lists for imaging, error handling improvements


Developer Reports

Monday Meeting
  • Sanjay Bhatnagar
  • Sandra Castro
  • Lindsey Davis
    • improved calibration failure error handling in several tasks
    • pipeline testing: plotms functionality and efficiency
    • investigated problems with bad channel flagging task hif_bpflagchans
  • Pam Ford
    • Meeting with Justo, George and Jeff to discuss plotms performance w.r.t. determining memory requirements; started coding plotms to implement the interface Justo suggested
    • Started to investigate plotms table lock issue reported by Sandra (CAS-7428)
    • Investigated plotms averaging issue reported by Lindsey, shown in pipeline plots. Committed fix for this (no ticket).
    • Out today.
  • Kumar Golap
    • Closed all open ticket for release
    • Memo for multi-thread gridding sent to Juergen
    • Note for MS-UVBin
  • Justo Gonz├ílez Villalba
  • Jim Jacobs
    • Vacation and "Spring Break" Holiday
  • Jeff Kern
    • CASA Users Survey Results and CASA Users Committee
    • SKA SDP PDR Draft
  • Susan Loveland
    • 4 day vacation
    • CARTA customizable toolbar
  • David Mehringer
    • 4 days in office, one day NRAO holiday
    • (CAS-7268) importuvfits creates inconsistent MS: Concluded that this uvfits dataset was inconsistent according to Eric's document in that, in the SU table, it had NO_IF = 1 but had two rest frequencies per row. Resolved as "won't fix" after modifying code to emit more helpful error message as well as to remove bogus MS it has created after these sorts of unrecoverable exceptions are thrown.
    • (CAS-5329) IMMATH cannot parse strings with "_" on Mac OS: updated par.mask description to explicitly note that image names with underscores must be escaped as per the very long-standing LEL syntax.
    • (CAS-7135) clean task mishandles field parameter when multiple datasets refer to same field by different ids: Reviewed and tweaked Kumar's MS metadata-related code modifications.
    • (CAS-4231) imcontsub returns and image full of NaNs for fitorder=10 or higher: Concluded that in general, as for this case in particular, calibrated spectral baselines with large numbers of channels are not well modeled by arbitrarily high order polynomials. Suggested that more appropriate models be investigated by scientists and, when convergence occurs, provided to the CASA team for implementation.
    • (CAS-4283) remove ia.continuumsub in favor of ia.fitprofile(): Investigated necessary code modifications and refactored some ImageProfileFitter code in preparation for implementing these changes.
    • (CAS-7408) immoments crashes with underscores in mask names: Detailed discussions with Juergen and Ger about what characters need to be escaped in lattice expressions, and which do not, and why.
  • George Moellenbrock
    • Investigated gaincal performance issues noted by James Robnett in pipeline testing. Appears to be tile cache thrashing when non-trivial channel selection is used.
  • Dirk Petry
  • Martin Pokorny
  • Urvashi Rao
    • Imager parallelization talk/discussion for HPC folk - part 1
    • Working on getting imaging weight calcs to work correctly for parallel runs. Basic plumbing done and working. Need to add details for multi-term. Discussed with SB about adding a nearest-neighbour gridder FTM to use in a first pass. This simply replaces the existing VisImagingWeight function, but will have access to correct data to image channel mapping (this should fix cas-7210 and give a version of multi-field for free). It is also a place to put weight accumulators for correct image sensitivity calcs.
  • Darrell Schiebel
  • Ville Suoranta
  • Julian Taylor
  • Takahiro Tsutsumi
    • Still working on cube data/image partition related modification to tclean and done some testing
Friday NAOJ Meeting
  • Kanako Sugimoto
  • Wataru Kawasaki
  • Masaya Kuniyoshi
  • Takeshi Nakazato

-- PamFord - 2015-04-02
Topic revision: r12 - 2015-04-06, VilleSuoranta
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback