2022 NRAO/GBO Summer Student Information
Who are the NRAO/GBO Summer Students?
The NRAO-CV summer students (and their mentors) are:
| Spencer Ireland
|| Dana Balser
| Jackson Taylor
|| Scott Ransom
| Samantha Adams
|| Mark Lacy
| Jonathan Letai
|| Ilsang Yoon
| Ramisa Rahman
|| Allie Costa
| Clive Binu
|| Tony Beasley
| Nathan Sparks
|| Chris De Pree
| Austen Fourkas
|| Dary Ruiz
| Simon Lowry
|| John Tobin
| Grace Krahm
|| Remy Indebetouw, Molly Finn
| Daniel Lopez-Sanders
|| Tony Remijan
| Zachary Gillis
|| Jan-Willem Steeb
| Elyse Incha
|| Devaky Kunneriath, Loreto Barcos Munoz
| María Renee Meza Fajardo
|| Shane Davis and Alejandro Saravia
| Jay Frothingham (CDL)
|| Bill Shillue
| Matthew Doerner (CDL)
|| Steve Wunduke
| Cheng Huang (CDL)
|| Steve Wunduke
| Preet Agnihotri (grad)
|| Bill Cotton
| Abigail Harden (grad)
|| Eric Murphy
| Mihika Rao (grad)
|| Adele Plunkett
The GBO summer students are:
| Mary Rickel
|| Emily Moravec
| Corvus Koithan
|| Pedro Salas
| Elizabeth Lowe
|| Thomas Chamberlin
| Catalina Zamora
|| Anika Schmiedeke
| Alex Seidman
|| Kasey Purcell
| Lucy Steffes
|| Jesse Bublitz
| Amara Green
|| Walter Klahold
| Hugo Negrel
|| Will Armentrout
The NRAO-NM summer students are:
| Morgan Himes
|| Preshanth Jagannathan
| Mitchell Hernandez
|| Brian Svoboda
| Naomi Fissehaye (virtual)
|| Julia Blue Bird
| Isaiah Beauchamp
|| Pedro Beaklini
| Bailee Wolfe
|| Jay Blanchard
| Trevor McCaffrey
|| Amy Kimball
| Kelly Sanderson (grad)
|| Anna Kapinska
| Stefania Belvedere (grad)
|| Kumar Golap
- May 30 - June 3 in Green Bank
- Schedule: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CJSJHUfngan7zdprPjQxl8ksf2YavjQ_g2eE33Tlejk/edit?usp=sharing
- Travel to GB will be done as a group from Charlottesville: May 30 departure, June 3 return
- Dress code is "academic/casual", bring a sweatshirt, it can get cool. Bring close-toed shoes and comfortable walking attire.
- No wifi or cell service in GB. Wired access to email will be available.
- Contact Will/Jim if you have dietary restrictions or questions re: housing (bunkhouse)
Summer Lecture Series
We will have a weekly science lecture delivered by an NRAO/GBO staff member on Wednesday afternoons at 3:30 pm EDT (1:30 pm MDT). All students should attend. The lectures will be held in the following rooms at each site: GB-137 (Green Bank), SO-317 (Socorro), and CV-Auditorium (Charlottesville).
We will also have a number of invited outside speakers presenting a variety of topics for career development.
- 08 June: Urvashi Rao Venkata (NM) "Radio Interferometry - Imaging" Video (mp4), Slides (pdf)
- 15 June: Anna Kapinska (NM) "Radio sky surveys" Video (mp4), Slides (pdf)
- 22 June: Brian Kent (CV) "Python, Data Visualisation, and Astronomy" Video (mp4), Slides and Examples
- 29 June: Emily Moravec (GB) "Radio Active Galactic Nuclei in Galaxy Clusters" Video (mp4)
- 06 July: Poonam Chandra (CV) "Energetics, Environment and Evolution of Extreme Explosions"
- 13 July: Brian Svoboda (NM) "Star formation in the Milky Way"
- 20 July: Ryan Loomis (CV) "Complex Chemistry During Planet Formation"
- 27 July: Jay Lockman (GB) "The wind from the Galactic Center"
You will be set up with an NRAO/GBO computer account and access to NRAO/GBO computers and disk space. If you have problems or questions with computing, first try to resolve it with your fellow students or advisor or student coordinator.
IDL Usage Policies
Many summer students use IDL or GBTIDL, especially those working with GBT spectral line data. NRAO/GBO has plenty IDL floating licenses, but we do ask that you close down IDL sessions if you will not be using them in the next day.
The IDL policies for using licenses are described here: https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/GB/Observing/IdlUsagePolicy
Licenses currently bewing used are available here: http://leo.gb.nrao.edu/idl
End of Summer Presentation (Oral and Written)
Towards the end of the Summer (dates TBD), students will give a short (~15min) talk on their summer research to the scientific staff as part of the NRAO/GBO Summer Student Symposium.
Undergrad students and some grads will also write a report, which should be 4 pages minimum, outlining the summer research. Present your written report in PDF format to your local coordinator (Jim, Will, or Anna) by the end of August. You must hand in your written report on time
to get financial support to attend the January AAS meeting (more info on that later).
NRAO/GBO Slack Channel
Staff at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory and the Green Bank Observatory have an informal Slack account (nrao.slack.com), and we would like to invite all of our summer students and mentors to join!
Join the channel by following the link provided by Will Armentrout.
The Slack channel will not be used for formal announcements by summer student coordinators -- it's meant as a tool to help us build virtual community amongst the GBO/NRAO summer students and staff. You will automatically be added to the #students2022 and #general channels, but you should feel free to join other channels or create them as you see fit.
Since this is a free Slack account, only the 10,000 most recent messages are saved on the platform. If you have a conversation with your research mentor over Slack and want to keep some information, make sure to write it down elsewhere, too! You'll be able to stay on the Slack channel after you finish the summer student program. We hope it will be a useful networking tool as you continue your studies, prepare for graduate school, or look towards what's next!
Don't hesitate to ask your local student coordinators with any questions!
- Jim Braatz (jbraatz at nrao dot edu)
- Anna Kapinska (akapinska at nrao dot edu)
- Will Armentrout (warmentr at nrao dot edu)
- Danielle Rowland (drowland at nrao dot edu)