2020 NRAO/GBO Summer Student Information
Who are the NRAO/GBO Summer Students?
The NRAO-CV summer students (and their mentors) are:
- Casey Block (Adele Plunkett)
- Christa DeCoursey (Eric Murphy, Eric Jimenez-Andrade)
- Thomas Forrester (Steve Wunduke)
- Diego Garcia (Mark Lacy)
- Emiko Gardiner (Ilsang Yoon)
- Abigail Harden (Eric Murphy, Eric Jimenez-Andrade)
- Savannah Woods (Loreto Barcos)
- Josef Zimmerman (Scott Ransom)
- NINE program participants
- John Beasley (Brain Kent)
- Mauricio Rodriguez (Brian Kent)
- Grad students
- Elizabeth Teng (Ryan Loomis)
- Mark Siebert (Tony Remijan)
- Maryam Hami (Tony Remijan)
- Yiqing Song (Aaron Evans)
- Luca Beale (Jennifer Donovan Meyer)
- Kyle Massingill (Brian Mason)
The GBO summer students are:
- Gabriella "Lulu" Agazie (Ryan Lynch)
- Savannah Cary (Jay Lockman)
- Genna Crom (Natalie Butterfield)
- Maile Harris (Steve White)
- Isabel Hunt (Dane Sizemore)
- Alexander Johnson (Will Armentrout)
- Daniel Johnson (Hanna Sizemore)
- Laura Leyzorek (Ray Creager)
- Max Mason (Pedro Salas)
- Efrain Rodriguez-Arzaga (Ryan Lynch)
- Olivia Young (Andrew Seymour)
The NRAO-NM summer students are:
- Serena Cronin (Juergen Ott)
- Savannah Gramze (Juergen Ott)
- Trevor McCaffrey (Amy Kimball)
- Mihika Rao (Tony Beasley)
- Azia Robinson (Viviana Rosero)
- Kadin Worthen (Brian Svoboda)
- Grad students
- Brian Kirk (Preshanth Jagannathan)
- Henry Prager (Lorant Sjouwerman)
- Nycole Wenner (Emmanuel Momjian)
- Shrishti Yadav (Urvashi Rao)
The online bootcamp schedule
is available here.
Videos of bootcamp lectures
are here. This is an unlisted playlist, meaning you cannot find it through the YouTube
PDFs of lectures
Summer Lecture Series
We will have a weekly science lecture delivered by an NRAO/GBO staff member on Wednesday afternoons at 4pm EDT. All students should attend. We will also have a number of invited outside speakers presenting a variety of topics for career development.
You will be set up with an NRAO/GBO computer account and access to NRAO/GBO computers and disk space. If you have problems or questions with computing, first try to resolve it with your fellow students or advisor or student coordinator.
IDL Usage Policies
Since many summer students use IDL or GBTIDL, we would like to point out that there is a limited number of floating licenses for this package. See our IDL usage policies and best practices
for information on IDL license usage.
End of Summer Presentation (Oral and Written)
During the week of August 3-7, 2020, undergrads will give a short (~15min) zoom talk to the scientific staff about your research. You will also write a report, which should be 4 pages minimum, outlining your summer research. Present your written report in PDF format to your local coordinator (Jim, Ryan, or Anna) by the end of August. You must hand in your written report on time
to get financial support to attend the January AAS meeting (more info on that later).
NRAO/GBO Slack Channel
Staff at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory and the Green Bank Observatory have an informal Slack account (nrao.slack.com), and we would like to invite all of our summer students and mentors to join!
Join the channel by following this link (Link Expires on June 6, thereafter go to nrao.slack.com and request to join) : https://join.slack.com/t/nrao/shared_invite/zt-e7rr6tpw-idYrZr~l2qsNRjO4o0HvmA
The Slack channel will not be used for formal announcements by summer student coordinators -- it's meant as a tool to help us build virtual community amongst the GBO/NRAO summer students and staff. You will automatically be added to the #students2020 and #general channels, but you should feel free to join other channels or create them as you see fit.
Since this is a free Slack account, only the 10,000 most recent messages are saved on the platform. If you have a conversation with your research mentor over Slack and want to keep some information, make sure to write it down elsewhere, too! You'll be able to stay on the Slack channel after you finish the summer student program. We hope it will be a useful networking tool as you continue your studies, prepare for graduate school, or look towards what's next!
Don't hesitate to ask your local student coordinators with any questions!
- Jim Braatz (jbraatz at nrao dot edu)
- Anna Kapinska (akapinska at nrao dot edu)
- Ryan Lynch (rlynch at nrao dot edu)
- Will Armentrout (warmentr at nrao dot edu)
- Lyndele von Schill (lvonschi at nrao dot edu)