How to build ALMA TelCal on the CV Lustre cluster
TelCal is the software executed online during ALMA observations to compute things like Tsys spectra and
pointing solutions. Its tasks can be executed offline on JAO machines like osf-red and the scops cluster. It is
built against an older, static version of CASA (4.1). An old version of TelCal (from June 2014) exists on the CV
cluster and was built against that same version of CASA.
How to execute the old version of TelCal contained in the Lustre "image", you do the following:
- source /lustre/naasc/opt/services/telcal/telcal_env.sh
- CASA <2>: execfile(os.getenv('CASA_TELCAL'))
The following instructions document how Todd installed this week's current version (July 17, 2015) in his area on Lustre.
How to install the newest version of TelCal (updated weekly in Chile):
- Make a local copy of the casapy-stable-41.0.22971-001-64b contained in the Lustre "image". (This step should only need to be performed the first time, and it will work until JAO updates the version of CASA linked with TelCal.)
- mkdir /lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal
- cd /lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal
- rsync -vau /lustre/naasc/opt/services/telcal/casapy-stable-41.0.22971-001-64b .
- Copy the current tarball version of TelCal from Chile
- ssh login.alma.cl
- ssh sciops02
- cd /opt/telcalsa/current/telcalsa
- rsync -vau telcalsa-*bz2 polaris:/lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal/casapy-stable-41.0.22971-001-64b/
- Unpack it on Lustre
- cd /lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal/lcasapy-stable-41.0.22971-001-64b/
- bzip2 -d telcalsa-*bz2
- cd telcalsa-20150717-2014-06-b-64b
- Follow the instruction in the INSTALL file
- ./telcalsa-install.sh -v --casa-dir ../
- To import telcal tasks automatically into casapy-telcal, add the following to your ~/.casa/init.py. This will work for as long as the linked version stays with casa 4.1.
- if (casadef.casa_version < '4.2'):
- Create shell script called /lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal/telcal_env_todd.sh with the following contents:
# The following 2 lines will only need to be changed if JAO upgrades the
# CASA version to which Telcal is linked.
export INTROOT SCIPIPE_LOGDIR SCIPIPE_SCRIPTDIR JAVA_OPTIONS
export SCIPIPE_HEURISTICS SCIPIPE_ROOTDIR CASAPATH ACSROOT CASA_ROOT CASA_DIR
export PATH MATPLOTLIBRC
Finally, to run this new version, do the following:
- source /lustre/naasc/thunter/telcal/telcal_env_todd.sh
Location of Telcal source code:
- The source code for Telcal can be found on STE machines at the OSF at $ACSROOT, e.g.
- red-osf.osf.alma.cl:/alma/ACS-current/ACSSW/Sources/ATM/src # ATM model
- If you want to retrieve the code using svn, you can use the following commands (as of 2013-09-12):