Astrochemistry Group Meetings - Sept 3, 2010

  • Agenda: ( ACTION ITEMS in RED)
    • Review of CARMA Proposals. Any Questions, problems?
      • All proposals submitted successfully; NML Cgy, TMC-1, MeF in G19. Proposed that Joanna and Robin go to CARMA to conduct the observations.
        • ACTION ITEM: ARemijan needs to follow up with NVolgenau at CARMA for visit and submit letter of support for Joanna.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Letter sent on 9/7/2010. Will try to coordinate a visit but Nick wants them to attend the summer school next year.
    • Advisor Plans for Joanna - Update from the discussion with Li last week.
      • Joanna talked with Li about dropping 2 of the core astronomy classes for 3 chem and 1 astrochem class (presumably taught by Pate and Remijan). Still waiting for a reply.
        • ACTION ITEM: Remijan and Joanna to go over course schedules for Astronomy and Chem and come up with a plan for the next 2 years.
          • STATUS: (PENDING) Wait until Remijan back to put schedule together.
      • Joanna met with EMurphy and put Remijan down as official advisor.
          • STATUS: (PENDING) Ed Murphy added a Research 9995 section under Tony Remijan. Joanna still needs to switched in on 9/15/2010.
      • Joanna needs NRAO login.
        • ACTION ITEM: ARemijan to contact Josh and Pat about setting up her on NRAO machines.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Email sent on 9/10/2010, waiting for reply. Account set up by THalstead on 09/17/2010.
    • Upcoming NRAO proposal deadline - who's working on what?
      • Amy interested in participating in the proposal of HCCCHO toward TMC-1 but will not have time to lead the effort given her class schedule.
        • ACTION ITEM: Remijan will work with Robin on drafting the GBT proposal. Remijan will send around first draft. May extend to more sources (IRC10216?) if the integration time is short enough.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) First draft sent to Co-Is on 9/16/2010. See Agenda and Minutes for the meeting the week of 9/17/2010
      • Joanna will work on the nitrile chemistry project using the eVLA.
        • ACTION ITEM: Joanna to investigate the eVLA webpages to get a better idea of the array configuration and correlator setup needed for the observations. Target molecules will be CH3CN, CH2CHCN, CH3CH2CN, CH2CNH, HC3N, others?
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) I read through the "The EVLA Observational Status Summary," though I'm still far from clear on a number of points. I have begun a proposal via the Proposal Submission Tool (PST) and read much of the "NRAO Proposal Submission Tool Guide". After reading through nearly everything I could find linked on the EVLA page, I came upon the Java app EVLA Exposure Calculator. Will experiment with it before the meeting (9/10). What I've gathered about the configuration: SgrB2 is at dec = -28, so need to use one of the hybrid configs (BnA, CnB, DnC). DnC will have highest sensitivity and 3.1" res. CnB would have lower sensitivity, ~.9" res. Molecules to look at: definitely acetonitrile, cyanoacetylene, vinyl/ethyl/methyl cyanide; posssibly ethene isocyanide, methyl isocyanide,cyanomethyl, cyanoallene in the frequency range 18.5-20.5 GHz
      • Robin and Tony to work on a joint eVLA/GBT proposal to map the extended and compact emission of an evolved star.
        • ACTION ITEM: Robin will look at her "favorite" evolved star where mapping data is lacking and look into proposal possibilities.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Decided on W-Hydra. Robin will send Tony references on this source for review. Robin sent references and is currently preparing the proposal.
      • GBT Proposal on tMeF toward Orion was accepted and should be scheduled for this fall.
        • ACTION ITEM: Remijan will email the LSAMP participants about the results of the proposal and ask for their possible participation.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Email sent 9/6/2010, Email sent to TMinter on the technical justification on 9/7/2010.
    • Science talk at ESO - I need the latest copy of Amy's talk and animated JPGs?
      • DISCUSSION: NONE
        • ACTION ITEM: Amy will send Remijan her presentation.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) All materials sent by 9/5/2010.
    • Splatalogue updates - what I have been doing over the last couple weeks, Joanna's progress, Robin's work for the next few weeks.
      • Splat website nearly bulletproof. Many updates to the site took place over the last month not only how the data are displayed but also exported. There was also progress done on added new pages off the site to explain things like frequencies and quantum number resolutions. Joanna sent a .doc file defining what data in Splat needed to be updated or included from the existing JPL and CDMS databases.
        • ACTION ITEM: Robin will work on a webpage explaining the calculation of line strengths.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Draft sent on 9/13/2010 - Remijan sent back comments. Robin sent revised draft on 09/16/2010. Posted to Splatalogue homepage 9/20/10
        • ACTION ITEM: Remijan will go through the document by Joanna and start updating species. Will also assign updates to Robin as well.
          • STATUS: (PENDING) Remijan needs to assign specific molecules to update to Robin. UPDATE: Remijan and Robin will work on this when Remijan returns to CHV in October.
        • ACTION ITEM: Robin will update FeO.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Updated...may change +/- to e/f (TBD)
        • ACTION ITEM: Amy will try to break the Splat webpage in her spare time and report on any problems or issues.
          • STATUS: (PENDING) Any update?
        • ACTION ITEM: Robin will solicit help from the AZ group to also try and break the Splat webspage. They will also report on any problems or issues
          • STATUS: (PENDING)Robin has contacted the Ziurys group members and they have promised to try their best to break Splatologue and report any problems.
        • ACTION ITEM: Remijan needs to finish the memo and get to MLacy by group meeting on Monday, 6 Sept, 2010.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) - Sent to MLacy and consortium on 9/8/10
    • AOB?
      • Robin back in the CHV office next week.
        • ACTION ITEM: Robin to talk with Hibbard if a tour to ALMA is possible and if it counts toward the NAASC contribution.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Robin spoke with Hibbard. It is possible for postdocs to go to ALMA and have it count towards the total NAASC contribution.
      • Amy will attend the AAS. Needs to present a poster on the work she did this summer.
        • ACTION ITEM: Amy to send Remijan a draft of the abstract for submission.
          • STATUS: (CLOSED) Abstract sent - Remijan replies with comments on 9/12/2010.
      • Next Group meeting - Fri, Sept 10, 2010 - 5PM EDT..

  • Persons/group who can change the list:

This topic: Main > TWikiUsers > AnthonyRemijan > AgendaAndMinutes090310
Topic revision: 2010-09-26, AnthonyRemijan
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback