Seven Pixel K-band Focal Plane Array Commissioning
We present summaries of initial commissioning tests of the KFPA 7 pixel tests in March and April 2010.
These tests accomplished the following goals: confirmation of proper hardware operation, hardware configuration, software configuration,
software control, gain calibration, mapping scan organization and data pipeline calibration processes.
This page is organized in inverse time order, with the latest results at the top of the page and preceding steps following.
The data are organized into 17 test/observing sessions, each with GBT project name TFPA_ and session numbers
(ie TKFPA_01 to TKFPA_17).
Major milestones in inverse order:
Observations configured for larger scale images, to test pipeline processing. Had some setup issues during these tests, which reduced available time to make large field images.
17: Imaging for Pipeline: 2010 April 29 Orion KL, TMC-1
Smoothed Orion KL continuum image
- Orion Daisy Map, 7 Beams on NH3 1-1 and 2-2, beam 1 NH3 4-4; Good, but short duration
- On/Off Orion, Scans 18,19
- Daisy 10 minutes, Scan 20
- On/Off Orion, Scans 21,22
- Orion DecLatMap; Scans not properly centered on target; Data OK, but not optimum shape
- On/Off Orion, Scans 23,24
- Partial Map, Scans 25 to 32
- TMC-1 Galactic Map, Beams 1,2,3,4 on HC5N line, Beams 1,2,3,4 on HC7N; excellent data
- On/Off TMC-1, Scans 44,45
- Galactic Map, Scans 50 to 65
- On/Off Tmc-1, Scans 66,67
- Orion Square map, 7 Beams on NH3 1-1 and 2-2, beam 1 NH3 4-4; Good data, region undersampled
- On/Off Orion, Scans 73, 74
- RaLongMap, Scans 75 to 90
- On/Off Orion,
Spectrum of Orion A in NH3 1-1 and 2-2 lines, |
produced from a 10 minute Daisy pattern
map of the region (Scan 20).
The left image is 2-2 line, the center image is the continuum image map and
right image is 1-1 emission.
16: Mapping and Calibration: 2010 April 19
Ran tests of nodding spectra with all beams. Seemed OK. Ran some maps of TMC, Orion
and M33, which looked reasonable.
- Moon Daisy scan at low elevation; 7 Beams NH3 1-1 and 2-2
- On/Off Moon, Scans 23,24
- Daisy on Moon, Scan 25; 10 Minute duration
- On/Off Moon Scans 26,27
- Tmc Spectra, miss-configured Scans 33-38
- Tmc-1 Map, NH3 1-1 and 2-2 Data look good. Strip is longer perpendicular to source structure. Frequency switched configuration.
- On/Off Tmc, Scans 39,40
- DecLatMap, Scans 41 to 61
- On/Off Tmc, Scans 62, 63
- Tmc-1 Map
- On/Off Tmc, Scans 69,70
- DecLatMap, Scans 71 to 91
- On/Off Tmc, Scans 92, 93
- Moon Daisy scan at higher elevation; 7 Beams NH3 1-1 and 2-2
- On/Off Moon, Scans 94, 95
- Daisy Scan 96; Duration 10 Minutes
- On/Off Moon, Scans 97, 98
- Tests of sub-reflector nod on 3C48, scans 104-109
- Tests of nod with all beams on 3C48, scans 110 to 117
- Test of external galaxy mapping on M33 (not much signal)
- On/Off M33, Scans 118,119
- Map of M33, Scans 120 to 147
- On/Off M33, Scans 148,149
- Orion Daisy Map
- On/Off Orion, Scans 159, 160
- Daisy map, Scan 162; Map duration only 5 minutes
- On/Off Orion Scans 163, 164
- Initial tests of baseline stability, on M33, 800 MHz bandwidth, only 4 beams, Scans 165 to 172
| TMC HC7N image with overlaid spectral band
|| TMC NH3 1-1 image with same overlaid spectral band at right