FAST Visit - July 2010
FAST, the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Telescope
, is under construction in the Guizhou province, China. See the FAST home page
(Google English Translation
) or this Physics World News Article
During July 20 - 23, a delegation of astronomers and engineers from the FAST project visited NRAO (Green Bank and Charlottesville). This page provides a summary of the visit, including links to all of the NRAO presentations.
For further information, contact RichardPrestage
- July 20, Tuesday, arrive Charlottesville.
- July 21, Wednesday morning, FAST Introduction in Charlottesville, afternoon to Green Bank and visit GBT.
- July 22, Thursday, drive back and visit NTC.
- July 23, Friday, visit Edgemont Road, scientific talks, engineering discussions, depart evening.
The main group of visitors are scientists and engineers fro mthe FAST Project:
- Dr. YAN Jun, NAOC director, manager-general of FAST project
- Dr. ZHENG Xiaonian, NAOC deputy director, acting manager of FAST project
- Dr. NAN Rendong, project engineer Our Contact
- Mr. YANG Shimo, project technologist
- Dr. ZHU Ming, Chief of the FAST Science Department
- Ms. ZHU Lichun, Chief Engineer of the FAST Control and Measurement System
In addition, for Wednesday only we will have a visit from staff of Automated Precision Inc. (API) to Green Bank. These visitors will join the telescope tour, but not the remainder of the agenda. This group may include:
- Dr. Kam C. Lau,the President and CEO of Automated Precision, Inc., USA. PhD from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Dr. Yuanqun Liu, director of engineering and optics group leader of the API.
- Dr. Xueli Qiao, principal designers of APIs precision absolute distance measurement systems.
- Dr. Helen Guixiu Qiao, the principal developer of APIs 3D laser digitizer and APIs proprietary structured light scanner.
- Dr. Henry Song, the manager for API's Electronics department.
The contact for this group is Ms. Zhu; their NRAO contacts are Steve White and John Shelton.
These are the NRAO staff who had most participation in the meeting (apologies if I have forgotten anyone)
- Bob Anderson, Tim Bastian, Carla Beaudet, Rich Bradley, Jingquan Cheng, George Clark, Jim Condon, Dennis Egan, Rick Fisher, John Ford, Rohit Gawande, Todd Hunter, Fred Lo, Jay Lockman, Matt Morgan, Karen O'Neil, D.J. Pisano (NRAO/WVU), Richard Prestage, Scott Ransom, John Shelton, John Webber, Steve White, Heidi Winter.
Green Bank Local Organizing Committee
- Richard Prestage
- Jessica Thompson
- Shirley Curry
Charlottesville Local Organizing Committee
- Heidi Winter
- Jingquan Cheng
- John Webber
- Mary Mayo
Tue 20 July
- Arrival UA 7835 23:10pm, transfer directly to hotel (Jingquan Cheng).
Wed 21 July
- Complimentary hot Breakfast Cavalier Inn served from 6:00-10:00am
- 09:30 - 09:45 Jingquan to pick up delegation in hotel lobby, bring to ER
- 09:45 - 11:00 FAST Status Update Dr. Rendong Nan, CV Auditorium and broadcast to other NRAO Sites
- 11:30 Meet with NRAO Director, Dr. Lo
- 12:00 - 15:00 Lunch / Travel to Green Bank
- 15:00 - 15:30 Check in, drinks / sodas in lobby of Residence Hall
- 15:30 - 16:00 Dr. Karen O'Neil - Welcome to NRAO and Green Bank PDF
- 16:00 - 19:00 Green Bank technical talks and lab tour:
- Carla Beaudet - EMC Evaluation at Green Bank PDF
- John Ford - Digital Signal Processing PDF
- Dennis Egan - Machine Shop Tour
- Richard Prestage - Laser Rangefinders PDF
- Todd Hunter - Metrology of Surface and Feed Arm PDF
- 19:00 - 19:30 Rest Break
- 19:00 - 22:00 Dinner in Science Center (FAST Group plus GB Staff)
In parallel for API Group:
- 12:00 - 13:30 Arrive, meeting with Green Bank Engineering staff, lunch
- 13:30 - 16:30 Telescope Tour: Steve White, John Shelton
- 16:30 depart
Thu 22 July
- 08:000 - 08:30am Breakfast in cafeteria with Karen O'Neil, Richard Prestage
- 08:30 - 10:00am Telescope Tour
- 10:00 - 10:30am Control Room / DSP Lab Tour
- 10:30 - 10:45 checkout
- 10:45 - 13:30 Drive to CV
- 13:30 - 14:30 Lunch in NTC400
- 14:30 - 16:30 tour of CDL - John Webber
- 16:30 - 17:30 follow up discussions as desired
- 17:30 return to hotel, check in
- Dinner hosted by NRAO Director.
Fri 23 July
- 08:00 - 08:45 Breakfast at Cavalier Inn
- 08:45 - 09:00 Pick up by Jingquan; travel to ER Conf. Room #331 is reserved all day for FAST delegation use, refreshments available
- 09:00 - 12:00 NRAO Technical and Science Presentations (current NRAO work, and science drivers for FAST), and possible science collaborations.
- Scott Ransom - Pulsars PDF
- DJ Pisano - HI at Redshifts 0 - 1 PDF
- Rick Fisher - Phased Array Feeds PDF
- Matt Morgan - Next Generation Integrated Receivers in the cm Regime PDF
- Rohit Gawande - Wideband Feeds PDF
- 12:00 - 13:00 boxed lunches in auditorium
- 13:00 - 15:00 Round table discussions of potential science and engineering collaborations
- Richard Prestage (Moderator) - Meeting Summary PDF
- 15:00 - 16:00 NRAO and NAOC Directors' closing discussions.
- 15:30 - Ming Zhu and Jingquan Cheng to depart for FAST rental car CV Airport
- 17:00 Early dinner FAST Members, Jim Condon, Qifeng Yen, host Jinqquan Cheng, Tara Thai; FAST Members depart for Rockville
Links to All Talks
- Carla Beaudet - EMC Evaluation at Green Bank PDF PPT
- Rick Fisher - Phased Array Feeds PDF PPT
- John Ford - Digital Signal Processing PDF PPT
- Rohit Gawande - Wideband Feeds PDF PPT
- Todd Hunder - Metrology of GBT Surface and Feed Arm PDF PPT
- Matt Morgan - Next Generation Integrated Receivers in the cm Regime PDF PPT
- Karen O'Neil - Welcome to NRAO and Green Bank PDF PPT
- DJ Pisano - HI at Redshifts 0 - 1 PDF PPT
- Richard Prestage - Laser Rangefinders PDF PPT
- Scott Ransom - Pulsars PDF