VEGAS Pulsar Project Meeting: 2016 January 25th 2:00 - 3:00pm ET

Room / Connection Details

  • GB-137 / Soc 280
  • 434-817-6443

Housekeeping Details

  • Main wiki page
  • gbsapp Mailing List
  • Location and regular date and time of meeting - agreed weekly on Mondays; GB-137 / Soc-280; 2-3pm ET
  • ETK codes:
    • Electronics: 432510.GB3015
    • Software: 893252.GB3015
    • Science: 432540.GB3015

Resource Allocations

LYNCH, Ryan 0.15


  • Randy, Jason, Ray, Ryan, Marty, Justin


BOF file status updates

  • Switching signal builds
    • c1500x4096, i1500x2048, and i0800x2048 all seem to behave in the same manner as the non-SS builds
    • c0800x4096 mode scans fail to initialize. Ryan and Justin currently working on tracking down the cause.
  • c1500x4096 mode
    • Recompiled GPU transpose code
      • DONE Complete
    • nVidia profiling
      • BLI found using packet-sockets solves this problem and found them highly efficient. That code is done and available.
        • Will need to integrate this into current code, but other modes have higher priority
        • Ryan to contact Dave McMahon about these changes to see what needs to be done to incorporate them into our "release" (or pre-release versions)
    • guppi_daq_server version comparisons
      • Ryan to test at some point
    • Is this the SS version?
      • Previously no, but Ryan has starting testing this
  • c1500x0512 mode
    • Build status
      • Built successfully
    • Scans failing during long integrations
      • Update status shared memory code to use different data type to accurately capture packet ID
        • Need to update guppi_daq status shared memory library. Ray thinks it probably uses a signed variable type instead of an unsigned type.
        • Ryan will try a long scan with a mode that has worked in the past to see what happens to the PKTIDX field
    • Astronomical verification
      • Used successfully during Breakthrough Listen tests (though with some packet loss in the RAW mode)
        • This loss was in the net thread
  • c1500x2048 mode
    • Not able to build off of c1500x4096 version
      • Still related to the Xilinx software tools
      • Trying to build a version with SS support. Randy hopes this will change the Xilinx routing enough that it builds successfully
  • Fix for nchan calculation in coherent modes
    • verified - ready to roll into other modes
  • Bandpass issues in i0800x0064, 0128, 8192
    • Spent some time testing 64 channel mode
    • Injected a digital tone at 100 MHz, which always shows up at the correct frequency
    • Tone shows up in the correct bins, but generates spurs if injected at Fs/8 or nearby
      • Spurs move with the test tone and decrease with amplitude if you move away from Fs/8
      • May be problem with MMCM or OGP calibration
    • A suggestion was made to build a BOF with digital noise source to test
      • tough for 8192, others should be ok
        • test w/ 64 chl mode since testing already done by Jason
      • work needs to prioritized against other work
    • Jason worked with VEGAS hardware and saw same issues as on srbs
      • On srbs, spurrs were showing up when injecting a tone at Fs/4
      • On VEGAS with AP, spectrum still looked poor, with spurs showing up
      • Email Paul to discuss OGP and MMCM calibration, which is currently not being done
      • MMCM is recalibrated each time a new BOF is loaded. OGP solutions are read out of a file.
      • Do we need config files for individual pulsar modes, or is it enough to have configs for the appropriate clock rates?
    • DIBAS have clean bandpasses in those modes
  • Duplicated signal in i0800x8192
  • Low bandwidth modes
    • New filter coefficients
    • Spectrum output instead of time series
    • Implement PFB code
    • Could single GPU keep up with coherent dedispersion?
    • Reviewed John's email suggestion with Paul - more detailed query with John recommended
      • Is there an advantage to FFTs in FPGA? (none identified)
      • GPU (S/W) vs. FPGA (H/W)
        • GPU likely preferable if it can handle it
          • requires a benchmarking test
          • existing FPGA filter work could be affected
        • S/W CUDA-savvy resource constrained
          • Justin will look at it
      • How about running a higher bandwidth modes and ignoring some of the spectra?
        • limits on number of channels likely an issue
      • Ryan to email John to discuss some of this


  • Configtool changes
    • Status of rebasing on current release version
      • After next M&C Release
      • Dual backend code added but not system tested
        • Justin and Ryan to test this week during maintenance
  • GBT Status shared memory parameters in PSRFITS headers
    • Done
  • Switching signal generation
    • Cal successfully controlled by VEGAS
    • Actual swper still not matching requested swper
      • Ryan, Justin, and Ray to talk this week about how the calculation of swper needs to be modified
  • Matrix HPC
    • Justin has all threads running for all observing modes, and FITS files are being written
      • Need to check that FITS files are being written properly; Ryan to help with this
      • Richard suggests automating this by comparing FITS files with standards that are known to be correct
    • Justin working on VEGAS Manager to use Matrix instead of older guppi_daq
      • Justin hopes to have this done within 1--2 weeks.

GBT testing

  • Testing VPM/GUPPI dual backend config tool this week

Wideband AP

  • Status of new filters
    • Should be here in about 1 week

VEGAS/DIBAS-style backend for FAST

  • Work progressing as independent project
  • Preparing full proposal
    • Target of Feb 5 for internal submission
    • Working on compling documentaiton needs

Multicasting for spectral line and pulsar modes

  • Modifications to ROACH configuration and net task must bind to a multicast group instead of a specific host
    • All the 10-gig addresses on the ROACH would be multicast groups, and config will be told which to bind to
    • Some changes to net task code (in VEGAS HPC and guppi_daq code) to initialize sockets

Date / Time of Next Meeting

  • February 1

-- RyanLynch - 2016-01-25
Topic revision: r2 - 2016-01-25, RyanLynch
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback