VEGAS Pulsar Project Meeting: 2015 January 26th: 2:00 - 3:00pm ET

Room / Connection Details

  • GB-137 / Soc 280
  • 192.33.117.12##7144
  • 434-817-6443

Housekeeping Details

  • Main wiki page
  • gbsapp Mailing List
  • Location and regular date and time of meeting - agreed weekly on Mondays; GB-137 / Soc-280; 2-3pm ET
  • ETK codes:
    • Electronics: 432510.GB3015
    • Software: 893252.GB3015
    • Science: 432540.GB3015

Resource Allocations

FORD, JOHN 0.10
MCCULLOUGH, RANDY 0.25
RAY, JASON 0.25
BLOSS, MARTY 0.1
BRANDT, JOE 0.2
CREAGER, RAY 0.8
MELLO, MELINDA 0.1
RICHMOND DECKER, JUSTIN 0.5
BATES, SAM 0.25
DEMOREST, PAUL 0.25
PRESTAGE, RICHARD 0.1

  • Some of the electronics group intern Arindam Sengupta, , to share tasks with Randy and Jason.

Present

  • Ray, Randy, Jason, Richard, Melinda, Justin, Ryan, Marty, Paul, Sam

Agenda

Actions

  • Marty to fix Science Group ETK code
    • Done
  • Richard to confirm config_tool can support desired dual-backend operation.
    • Done. See subsequent discussion
  • Richard to set up a wiki page to gather VPMS simulator information together
    • Done. See subsequent discussion
    • John reports setting up the simulator in the tape room won't be ideal, as no infiniband access to lustre file system.
  • Richard to include 2/4 bit PSRFITS mode in project plan
    • Ongoing.

Project Planning

  • Science Group to use Pivotal Tracker
  • Same project as the SDD group.
  • Richard to discuss with Ray, Mark and Paul Marganian (DSS experience) how to proceed,

VEGAS Pulsar Mode Simulator

  • Agreed to use SRBS with its HPC, writing to /home/simdata for initial testing. If/when more compute power is needed, we will think again.

Date of Paul Demorest Visit

  • Around last week of February. Paul, Ryan and Sam to agree specific dates.

Dual backend operation

  • For latest details, see VegasPulsarDualBackendOperation
  • Agreed one spectral window is fine - i.e. same nchan, etc. But restfreqs can be different.
  • GUPPI could or could not be started by the Scan Coordinator (seems like "yes" would be better, but we never did this with GASP).
  • A good way forward would be to define GUPPI.xxx keywords; main keywords would be used for GUPPI if it is the only backend (for backwards compatability).
  • DCR will continue to be switching signal master; GUPPI does not "sync" to the switching signals, and VEGAS won't need to either
  • switching signal frequency will have to propagate to VEGAS,

Discuission of 32 channel operation

  • Randy / Jason note that 64 channels and above allow 8 clock cycles for sending data over the 40 GBe, 32 channels only allows 4 clock cycles, which is too short.
  • Paul points out data rate is the same
  • John notes some sort of buffering scheme can be developed
  • Agreed construction order for modes would be A,B,D, 32 channel.
  • Build with 14.6 and then switch to 14.7 when that is ready.

Date / Time of Next Meeting

  • Monday 2nd February at 2pm ET

-- RichardPrestage - 2015-01-24
Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
VegasPulsarModeTable.pdfpdf VegasPulsarModeTable.pdf manage 72 K 2015-01-24 - 16:06 RichardPrestage Science Priorities for Modes
Topic revision: r3 - 2015-02-04, RichardPrestage
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback