VEGAS Team Meeting

May 13, 2013

Attendees

CALTECH, UC-B, & Columbia

Dan, Jayanth, Glenn,

NRAO:

Jason, Ray, Marty, Mark, Joe Brandt

Agenda:

1) When should Berkeley visit (~1 month - GB avails - CIS avails) Marty to check. List: Glenn Mark Wolfgang Chris Ray Anish john Jayanth Hong Dan

2) Observed the magnatar - detection seems there - kfpa obs tonight. Data looks good.
  • An Italian group will use VEGAS & GUPPI too and both teams will share data. Setup will be tricky

3) Modes H1k (done), H16k (send to GB), L1 (working on issues), L8 (working on issues)

Meeting Notes:

Next Teleconference: May 13, 2013 .

Long-term action Items
  1. Ray to make VEGAS simulator.
  2. A BOF for mode 13, or some other mode that uses GPUs.
    • (04-Feb) Not available yet
    • (11-Feb) 16 input version compiling now for subsequent test
    • (04-Mar) Should be ready to test in GB ~7-Mar
      • Need to refine what tests are done in Berkeley v. GB
        • Noise + tone tests in Berkeley
        • Replicate in GB (one Roach)
        • Build-out to eight Roach boards
        • Test on GBT
  3. A BOF with working switching signal logic.
    • (04-Feb) designed but still troubleshooting switching table loading issues
    • (11-Feb) Added to design for Mode #1
    • (11-Feb) Add sfp shift into manager
  4. A test and decision on what computers to buy.
    • (04-Feb) Not yet determined - Jayanth should go ahead with his tests to complete selection
    • (04-Feb) Needs HPC11.
  5. All Banks not starting at the same time.
    • (04-Feb) (above)
    • DONE (04-Mar) Resolved
  6. It will be good if we get the full spectral dynamic range corresponding to the 8 bit ADC in the next version of mode 1.
    • (04-Feb) Conduct initial tests at Berkeley, to see if there are any limiting issues for dynamic range and optimize
    • (04-Feb) what is/are the requirement(s) w.r.t full scale sin wave?
    • (04-Feb) is this a new requirement for the manager (yes)? is a parameter required to select between options? (parametrized shifting)
    • (04-Feb) what are requirements for shift parameter? depends on result of studying spectra...
    • (25-Feb)
  7. KFPA observation with mode 13.
    • (04-Feb) awaits mode 13
  8. Manager/VEGAS HPC code that will let two instances of the program be run simultaneously.
    • (04-Feb) not available, but not required for GC obs.
  9. Remember to do the RFI test of the rack.
    • (04-Feb) Not yet scheduled
  10. Roach to Valon serial port connection.
    • (04-Feb) Not yet implemented; not req'd for GC obs
  11. The I2C bus software tested with the manager and Galen's modules.
    • (04-Feb) Post GC Obs
  12. Add software version information into FITS file
    • (11-Feb) After GC obs
  13. Confine UDP and packets out of the subnet within the VEGAS switch

Other items:

-- MartyBloss - 2013-05-06
Topic revision: r1 - 2013-05-13, MartyBloss
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback