Pulsar Machine Status and Meeting Agenda
Need a name for machine/system.
- Suggestions at the bottom of this mail. Keep in mind this will likely be a family of instruments.
- iBOB and iADC functional and hooked up to 43m telescope
- BEE2 seems functional, but we have not built our own personalities for it yet.
- All computer and network hardware is ordered and expected by the end of September. Development system arrived today.
- 2nd Mathworks software ordered
- 2nd Xilinx software in hand
- Project specs approved by majority of project people.
- mkbof fails to open temp files for anyone except John. Go figure.
Project Plans for discussion
- Randy & Jason
- Define control parameters for machine interface
- Get up to speed on hardware and software by working to get dual XAUI links between iBOB and BEE2 working.
- Work on getting the pocket spectrometer design working properly
- Split design into digitizer parts and processing parts
- Work on control and data collection software/firmware.
- Work with Walter, Paul, and Patrick and design a scheme to control the machine using borph to set/get registers, invoke FPGA personalities, etc.
- GPU work and codedisp specifications/experiments
System Name suggestions:
GUST : GBT Ultimate Searcher and Timer (Add an O at the end and it meshes
well with presto!)
How about GUTS instead? :)
But since this will also be used on the 43m and hopefully
eventually other telescopes, maybe it should stand for
Green Bank Ultimate Search and Timing Outfit
(The O is the hard part to fit, ie Organ, Outfit,
Organization, Organism, Observatory, Orgasum...)
NAPSTER : NRAO Advanced Pulsar Searching and Timing Equipment Rack
How about GBT Ultimate Pulsar Processing instrument (GUPPi)
Dunno who wrote:
Bee2 Pulsar Processors" ==> B2P2 ==> which is pronouced "Beeps"?
Richard P. wrote:
"locust" which is a CICADA, and which is not an acronym.
- 26 Sep 2007