USG Meeting, May 3, 2012 - 2PM

CV-230 192.33.117.16 434 972 7268
To start meeting:
  • CV - dial 972-7268 on phone at center of table. [to stop phone from ringing, go to the telephone on the side table near the door, and dial 9-972-7268, then place handset next to phone (remember to hang it up when the meeting is over)].
  • Turn on both video monitors (buttons on lower left of each screen).

If the USG meeting must be temporarily relocated, see below for alternate IP/phone coordinates.

Current USG Focus Items

  • Contact scientists update your PIs on the status of their projects! (Scott wrangles)
  • Cycle 1 documents (Carol)
  • Simulations and science examples (Remy, Gerald)
  • CDE/AAS/Webinar planning (Carol)
  • Synthesis Imaging School (Adam)
  • mm course and related effort on instructional materials (Jim)
  • Use cases for analysis tools (Adam)

Future Meetings

  • May 10:

AGENDA / MINUTES

  • Attendance: Gerald, Tony, David, Jim, Amy, Adam, Aaron, Remy, John, Rachel, Scott

News and overview

Schedules

  • ALMA Cycle 1. Please be available to contribute to these efforts:* April 23 (Mon): ACTION ITEM: comments on good versions of PG/Cap, TechHB?, Primer due
    • May 09 (Wed): Penultimate version of PG/Cap, TechHB?, Primer ready for review ACTION ITEM: immediate review for mistakes
    • May 14: PG needs deployed in SP. Only minor changes allowed after that
    • May 31 (Thur): CfP? issued (docs deployed)
    • May 31 - July 12: Staff Helpdesk
  • Cycle 0 SB generation schedule
    • March 7: Start of Science Observing in the Extended array configuration
    • Mar 5-30: SB revisions to unfinished Batch1,2,4 projects
    • April 2-20: Generation of "Batch5" projects (more on Batch 5 later)

Coordination with other groups and activities

  • Project news (Al)
  • JSG
  • DSG
  • Tiger Team

USG task reports & new business

  • HIA (Gerald)
    • Close to finishing new draft of Primer, waiting for final capabilities review
    • Fixing figure of angular resolutions vs largest angular scale recovered
    • P2G work progressing well - making Batch 5 SBs
  • JSG (John Hibbard)
    • Posting documents soon (email went out Friday, May 4th)
    • Decision has been made that highest priority time is allocated separately from filler time in the regional queues
    • Taiwanese projects in Cycle 1 may be 100% NA, 100% EA, or 50/50 NA/EA
  • Taiwan and EA Liaison (Aaron)
    • Tony requests that Lyndele should update ALMA Rocks 2013 wiki pages to capture the progress that has been made on the Hawaii meeting
      • Put link to updates on wiki page for NAASC bi-weekly meetings
  • Documentation (Jim, Jonathan)
    • Jeff and Remy have made great progress in mm course material.
    • NAASC guide is almost finished
      • To be completed by mid-May
  • Science Web (Aaron)
    • Notice of Intent added to web pages
    • Community Day events page updates
    • Registration page for webinar visitors to Charlottesville created
    • Will create registration page for those connecting to webinar online
      • David needs an estimate of number of online participants
  • Helpdesk (Tony)
    • Face-to-face meeting with other helpdesk managers next week (in Japan)
    • Andy and Anand have been moved (temporarily) from helpdesk triage to CASA guide updates
    • Reminder to us all that if we can't respond to a ticket within 2 days, then please send it back to triage
    • Action item: tell John how many tickets we received in April
    • Working to upgrade to Kayako 4
  • PI Support & Visitors (Scott)
    • Hector Arce will be first ALMA data reduction visitor in Charlottesville (working with Stuartt)
    • Bob Daniels wants more notice about visitors
      • All visitors can be tracked via BOSS / Helpdesk, not just data-reduction visitors
  • Development of outreach materials (Carol)
  • Workshops, Schools, Meetings (Tony, Adam)
  • Tutorials (Carol)

Main items

  • Contact scientists need to update PIs on project status and confirm this with Scott (Scott).
    • All Cycle 0 compact PIs have been updated on their project status
    • All Batch 3 projects have been in touch with PIs as well
    • Suggest new rule that all updates on project status must go through ALMA helpdesk
  • Webinar logistics update and agenda discussion
    • D. Halstead on AOC hosting, load test (what needs to be done, date)
      • Generic WebEx link will be used for test (Halstead account)
      • * Load test next week 3pm right after USG meeting, email asking for volunteers to go out soon.
    • All comments on planned agenda for Webinar
  • Synthesis imaging school
    • Material (PPTX) generation and review
    • CASA guide revisions and updating/data packaging to "lightweight" format
  • How to present ACA in these materials and documentation?
    • Expect 3:1 time ACA:Main array
    • Expect 50% on-source time as rough estimate
    • Stress that ACA is being commissioned now, so we have only best guesses - no solid numbers
  • Revise poster up to Cycle 1 status. Print copies for people to take with them to conferences.
    • Jim volunteers to update poster

AOB

Alternate IP/Phone Coordinates

CV-Auditorium 192.33.117.18  
CV-209 192.33.117.17 (video) 434-296.7082 (audio only)
CV-245 192.33.117.23 (video) 434-817-6285
CV-331 192.33.117.19 (video) 434-293-7109
-- LyndeleVonSchill - 2012-04-30

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > UserSupportGroup > USG2012May3
Topic revision: 2012-05-09, LyndeleVonSchill
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback