USG Meeting, March 1 2012

2PM CV 230

IP: 192.33.117.16

Telephone hub: 434 972 7268

Current USG Focus Items

  • Updating Batch3, then 1-4 for R8.1 (Scott)
  • Cycle 1 documents (Carol)
  • Simulations and science examples (Remy, Gerald) RandomSimC1Things
  • CDE planning (Carol)
  • mm course and related effort on instructional materials (Jim)
  • use cases for analysis tools (Adam)

Future Meetings

  • March 15:
    • Strawplan for simulations: Remy
    • Plan for mm course and associated materials: Jim, Jeff, Jonathon

MINUTES

  • Attendance: Jim, Al, Jeff, Dong-Chan, Kim, Rachel, Tony, Amy, Remy, Scott, Aaron, Carol
  • Regrets: John, Jonathon, HIA

News and overview

Schedules

  • ALMA Cycle 1. Please be available to contribute to these efforts:
    • March 16 (Fri): drafty drafts of Cycle 1 Proposers Guide/Capabilities technical HB & Primer available for review by all JAO/ARCs
      • ACTION ITEM: must identify key missing elements that users must know to write proposals
    • March 30 (Fri): ACTION ITEM: comments on drafty drafts due
    • April 09 (Mon): good versions of PG/capabilities, TechHB, Primer available for broad review
    • April 09-13 (Mon-Fri): OT integrated test 6 - will involve all ARC staff
    • April 23 (Mon): ACTION ITEM: comments on good versions of PG/Cap, TechHB, Primer due
    • May 09 (Wed): Penultimate version of PG/Cap, TechHB, Primer ready for review ACTION ITEM: immediate review for mistakes
    • May 14: PG needs deployed in SP. Only minor changes allowed after that
    • May 31 (Thur): CfP issued (docs deployed)
    • May 31 - July 12: Staff Helpdesk

  • Cycle 0 SB generation schedule
    • Feb10-Mar2: SB revisions to Batch3 projects
    • March 7: Start of Science Observing in the Extended array configuration
    • Mar 5-30: SB revisions to unfinished Batch1,2,4 projects
    • April 2-20: Generation of "Batch5" projects (more on Batch 5 later)

Coordination with other groups and activities

  • Project news (Al)
    • 26 antennas at AOS; increasing to 32 by end of March.
    • Power issues still being addressed--existing infrastructure needed upgrade and correction.
    • ES C0 block now targeted for 28 Mar.

USG task reports & new business

  • HIA (Gerald)
    • Jim reported on behalf of Gerald that he will need a few days to assemble the Primer after getting the science examples on March 16, putting the Primer slightly behind the above schedule.
    • John has emphasized toning down the science examples so that we don't encourage overreach.
    • Action Item from Feb 9: Primer examples. Gerald, Rachel, Al, Adam, Jim. Drafts due March 16.
    • See minutes Feb 9 for details of science examples
  • Taiwan and EA Liaison (Aaron)
  • Documentation (Jim, Jonathan)
    • Remy has provided his ISM course material and work has begun on turning it into material for the course
    • Jeff has volunteered his extensive library of materials and help with mm course task
    • the documentation team will meet next Tuesday to finalize plans & schedule, and report at next USG meeting
    • ACTION ITEM: Specific plan with schedules and writing assignments at USG meeting March 15
  • Science Web (Aaron)
  • Helpdesk (Tony)
  • PI Support & Visitors (Scott)
    • Batch 3 almost completed; some on hold for cone searches
    • P2G will do the revision of Batches 1&2 to R8.1; CSs will not need to be involved unless an issue requiring PI input arises.
  • Development of outreach materials (Carol)
    • Rachel commented that she received a suggestion to use Utube videos for outreach, from a participant at the Toronto meeting
  • Workshops, Schools, Meetings (Tony, Adam)
    • The Jets meeting was a success, though exhausting. Kudos to the LOC!
    • It's not clear when the next meeting will be; Taiwan is considering April 2013 to avoid conflicts with the Victoria meeting and Protostars and Planets this summer and fall
  • Tutorials (Carol)
    • We are scheduled to observe a Herschel/PACS webinar next Tuesday ACTION ITEM: all to drop by sometime during the day to take a look and assess quality of the experience

Main items

  • New simulations: review ideas, plan specifics, assign effort
    • Remy presented the plan that simulations be developed to assist users for each decision point on the OT decision tree.
    • Remy posted some examples: an over-resolved point source; M51 (an H-alpha map) to illustrate visibilities and, in particular, gaps in coverage and largest angular scale
    • Important to consider both velocity resolution and noise effects
    • ACTION ITEM: Remy will draw up a strawplan for review at next weeks meeting. Input from JH needed on C1 capabilities and rules, and OT decision tree.

AOB

  • Al noted that the long delayed meeting on high redshift molecules is being planned for September, in CV

-- CarolLonsdale - 2012-03-08
Topic revision: r5 - 2012-03-14, CarolLonsdale
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback