USG Meeting, March 29 2012

2PM CV 230

IP: 192.33.117.16

Telephone hub: 434 972 7268

Current USG Focus Items

  • Updating 1,2; then 5 and 4 for R8.1 (Scott)
    • Check if any of your projects can tolerate being observed in this configuration. Tell Scott now.
  • Cycle 1 documents (Carol)
  • Simulations and science examples (Remy, Gerald) RandomSimC1Things
  • CDE planning (Carol)
  • mm course and related effort on instructional materials (Jim)
  • use cases for analysis tools (Adam)

Future Meetings

  • April 5:

AGENDA / MINUTES

  • Attendance: Lonsdale, Schnee, Friesen, DC Kim, Leroy, Indebetouw, Wootten, Braatz, Halstead, von Schill, Evans, Schieven, Johnstone, Medlin

News and overview

Schedules

  • ALMA Cycle 1. Please be available to contribute to these efforts:
    • March 16 (Fri): drafty drafts of Cycle 1 Proposers Guide/Capabilities technical HB & Primer available for review by all JAO/ARCs
    • March 30 (Fri): ACTION ITEM: comments on drafty drafts due
    • April 09 (Mon): good versions of PG/capabilities, TechHB, Primer available for broad review
    • April 09-13 (Mon-Fri): OT integrated test 6 - will involve all ARC staff
    • April 23 (Mon): ACTION ITEM: comments on good versions of PG/Cap, TechHB, Primer due
    • May 09 (Wed): Penultimate version of PG/Cap, TechHB, Primer ready for review ACTION ITEM: immediate review for mistakes
    • May 14: PG needs deployed in SP. Only minor changes allowed after that
    • May 31 (Thur): CfP issued (docs deployed)
    • May 31 - July 12: Staff Helpdesk

  • Cycle 0 SB generation schedule
    • March 7: Start of Science Observing in the Extended array configuration
    • Mar 5-30: SB revisions to unfinished Batch1,2,4 projects
    • April 2-20: Generation of "Batch5" projects (more on Batch 5 later)

Coordination with other groups and activities

  • Project news (Al)
    • telecon with reviewers of development program on Friday, Mar 30th.
  • JSG
  • DSG
    • Mark L and David meeting in Miami this week to make progress on fast link. Looks like we'll be getting 620Mb/s for now instead of the 1000Mb/s expected. Still some holdups in implementation.
    • Improving the audio in 230 using ceiling mikes will cost $8K.
  • Tiger Team

USG task reports & new business

  • HIA (Gerald)
  • Taiwan and EA Liaison (Aaron)
  • Documentation (Jim, Jonathan)
    • Jeff and Remy have made great progress in mm course material.
  • Science Web (Aaron)
  • Helpdesk (Tony)
  • PI Support & Visitors (Scott)
  • Development of outreach materials (Carol)
  • Workshops, Schools, Meetings (Tony, Adam)
  • Tutorials (Carol)

Main items

  • Review of Call Materials
    • John cannot make meeting; gave update from SciOps IPT telecon - will not have spectral survey or multi-band modes.
    • There was discussion in the Tuesday PG telecon on limitations on mosaics; why limited to one 150pt mosaic? Comment fron Andy Biggs - if you want to process all data together, must be within one science goal. SciOps is considering whether to allow more than one 150-point mosaic proposal even though the data processing would be independent. Need to discuss the implied data processing load per proposal with Tiger Team before deciding.
  • Primer (Gerald)
    • send grammar mistakes to Gerald in email
    • lacking: conceptual understanding of UV dist and coverage of size scales. Is the figure on the wiki a good way to show it? Jeff/Remy: have a few suggestions:
      • top right quad - prob should be hatched out, since not allowed in Cycle1.
      • 'configuration' - use 'resolution' since that's what is proposed for. Remy - switch axes because one is picking resolution (x-axis) and will learn what LAS they will get. What are the real numbers/relationship - largest angular scale & resolution? Figure for Primer will be simple, using realistic numbers. REMY, JEFF, GERALD AND DOUG DISCUSS OFFLINE
      • Remy will make 2 simulations to derive the numbers for the Primer plot, and for posting on the web: a cluster of point sources in blue part - where the ACA does nothing - and a large fuzzy object to illustrate when ACA is needed and when it is not. We will also consider a third sim - a source with power on many scales - if we find that a real gap at intermediate scales does exist for Cycle1.
    • lacking: discussion of ACA
    • Doug: it is confusing how much bandwidth a user will get - needs to be explained better in Primer
    • Remaining comments on Primer to Gerald, copy Carol, by COB TUESDAY

AOB

-- CarolLonsdale - 2012-03-28

Topic attachments
I Attachment Action SizeSorted ascending Date Who Comment
overlap-fig.jpgjpg overlap-fig.jpg manage 224 K 2012-03-28 - 18:31 GeraldSchieven Potential figure for Primer showing resolvable vs recoverable sizescales as a function of Cycle 1 configuration. Note that there are no real numbers in this figure! It's just a concept. But I want to know how to get these numbers!
overlap-fig-2.jpgjpg overlap-fig-2.jpg manage 230 K 2012-03-28 - 19:46 GeraldSchieven Same thing, except this time I used real(er) numbers. Smallest resolvable scale for ACA is from the capabilities document as is the minimum and maximum baselines. I've assumed that the minimum baseline in each configuration (from which I derived the largest recoverable scale) is just sqrt(max baseline), and that the max baseline changes linearly with configuration.
This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > UserSupportGroup > USG2012Mar29
Topic revision: 2012-04-05, CarolLonsdale
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback