USG Meeting, Jan 19, 2012 Agenda
Jim Braatz (acting USG lead) sitting in for Carol, who is on travel
Attending: Jim, Kim, Dongchan, David, Nuria, Lyndele, Heidi (SOC), Tony (in GB), Gerald, Adam, Al, Jonathan, John
1. News and overview
2. Coordination with other groups and activities
- ALMA Board meeting; Cycle 1 schedule
- John: JAO has decided to recommend 5 month extension to Cycle 0. ASAC chair presenting this recommendation to the ALMA Board today.
- Will give almost all PIs some data.
- Timeline proposed is an April CfP with a late May deadline - but observing would not start until Jan 2013.
- Timeline should be announced to broader community by end of January
- Batch Four: Gerald and John prepared four; Gerald's are in the queue, John was assigned one from Australia - cannot connect to calibrator databases.
- Nuria will sent alternate database to John.
- Band 3, 6 only (not band 7); compact or extended
- By Friday, a wiki will be updated to let the contact scientists know that data is ready to be transferred (?) Add a note to P2G ticket, that the data will be prepared for transfer. The contact scientist will be notified so that they have a week (or two) to prepare before the PIs are notified. Do not tell this to the PI.
3. Main items
- Site, CSV, SCO
- DSG & computing
- Tiger Team
4. USG task reports & new business
- AAS recap (Adam)
- 80 people Special Session
- Alison, Al, Nancy Shirley, Meredith (great talk)
- Should send presenters a note of thanks (Adam)
- Dongchan will help get presentations on web
- Splinter sessions - not as well attended (late in the week, people were relatively fatigued).
- How many of these turn into proposal?
- Suggestion - do a 'superbooth' - 5-10 laptops to do consultations
- Berkeley CDE recap (Kim)
- CDE in Berkeley went well. Brief overview of OT & led by Emanuel who went through hands-on CASA sessions.
- Available on EVLA??
- 5 feedback forms - handson were most useful; overview least useful (already knew material and facilitites), spend more time on hands-on. Do a yearly CDE ~month before deadlines? Or December or April?
- Adam: If we're not doing the'octopus' model, then we need to really think about how we get the most bang for the buck. Paired with conference, or symposium. Tony: OSO will take this on.
- Adam: Could one person do this? Tony: 2-person for hand-on. Utilize experienced PIs for training. Talks should be condensed
- Primer science cases (Gerald)
- One new science case (EA) to include zero spacing
- Current Cycle 0 science examples, substitute SV data (sent a list to Jim) - GRB afterglow datum, ngc 3256 (there is an approved Cycle 0 on this galaxy).
- Will need help for those projects that are being rewritten. Can forward list to USG group (Jim will look it over and decide what to do next).
- Taking out description of SBs & capabilities tables (consult "appendix...")
- HIA (Gerald)
- Taiwan and EA Liaison (Aaron)
- Documentation (Jim, Jonathan)
- Helpdesk (Tony)
- PI Support & Visitors (Scott)
- Development of outreach materials (Carol)
- Workshops, Schools, Meetings (Tony, Adam)
- Tutorials (Carol)
Current USG Focus Items
- All papers should put the NSF aknowledgement (last sentence of SV page)
- Acknowledge NRAO and ALMA as policy dictates
- Batch 3 and batch 5 SBs
- Cycle 1 documents
- Simulations and science examples