1. Review of Pending Items:
  • CLOSED Write Knowledge base articles on recommended pwv's and central observing frequencies (Scott)
  • Scott reports that while getting a handle on the pwv is pretty straightforward (can be obtained from the OT), the delta pwv is not well-understood, or at least well-documented. Suggestions were made for tracking down the official documentation from Al or the JAO.
  • Scott also reports that Todd may have some suggestions for the central observing freq.
  • CLOSED Helpdesk tracking issue with the Ephemeris tickets (Tony)
  • Ticket has been put to draft; has not been tested or implemented; No documentation on how to put ephemeris into OT yet. Waiting on CSV or and/or Richard for further guidance. Tell people - we will try and do this on a best efforts basis - if pushed can say, the capability does not exist yet.
  • OPEN Development of an on-line mm course or creation of chapters for basic astrophysics for non-mm experts.
  • Jim Braatz has agreed to lead this. He will design the framework of what this course or chapters etc. should contain. He will recruit Carilli's help at the moment and then involve Keohane (sabbatical visitor) in this work. The framework may involve different approaches (ppt slide show, chapters added to other radio interferometry courses, etc.) for different audiences.
  • OPEN Develop a single, master ppt presentation template for CDE tutorials (Lyndele w/ Mark Adams)
    • Purav is working on the template. Once completed, policy to use the template.
  • DONE BUT NEEDS TO BE REDONE: PDFs from AAS (Aaron) - were posted a long time ago but links ARE broken as we switched to Plone last week. Dong Chan is working on fixing this.
  • OPEN Review Plone website for problems (all)
  • Many broken links. Send problems as you discover them by following <a href="http://helpdesk.aoc.nrao.edu/cgi-bin/req?top-active-9">this link.
  • Crystal requested that no one make changes to hierarchy of the webpages (DCK may have made some - needs to be corrected so there are no broken links)
  • Kartik noted that based on Crystal's suggestion at the Tiger team meeting, whomever ends up taking charge of science verification data, should come up with a script in the same format at that used in CASAGUIDES currently so that it can easily be ported into a new casaguide with screen shots. John recommends involving the post-docs in this data reduction and casaguides production process.

2. Task leads reports / new business

  • Management (Carol)
  • User Committee meeting last week in Greenbank Presentation on ALMA construction and NAASC - went smoothly, weren't a lot of questions or challenges; positive comments, esp re CDEs. (1) data processing capabilities; they seemed satisfied. Some disc of need for 3D visulalization; there is some progress in that area. Surface contour mapping, KARMA-type, plasma simulation, theoretical data visualization... Adam is leading a Tiger team to explore options and needs. End result will need to seamlessly work with CASA.
  • Input for CDR 9 - next release will be Jan 2012. Any requirements that should be included in next edition due by Friday.

  • Documentation (Jim)
    • Countdown clock - no response yet. John has taken this to Lars' group. There has been some feedback that NA people missed the deadline because the time was UT.
    • The tech handbook - link is available, but final PDF has not been generated, so it's just a dummy document. Scott: The actual noise equivalent bandwidth 1.875ghtz, not 1.85 or 1.9 or anything.
    • Posting of CDE talks - two were updated; new and improved from Crystal's talk.
    • mm astronomy chapter - we do have an opportunity to work with Jonathan to develop something substantial; similar to Condon & Ransom's online course. Graduate-level chapters, first, then let Jonathan work from there? Types of science that can be done at sub-mm (Chapter 1), How to observe, what types of calibration, etc (Chapter 2), examples of ALMA scripts... A general course, not ALMA-specific. Interferometry and single-dish as well.
    Jim will circulate a proposed outline. Perhaps PDF with links.

  • Helpdesk (Tony)
    • Scott was on triage two weeks ago. 1 ticket.
    • Adam this week: ticket numbers ramping up - 2-3/day.
    • Most items have been more in the realm of feedback than questions ("I wish that I could do this...")
    • Still a backlog on kb because they are still in draft form, waiting for documentation from JAO so that links to documents can be made.
    • Gerald is on helpdesk this week. Jim on next week.

  • Visitors (Scott)
    • In progress with Aaron

  • Postdoc mentoring (Scott)

  • Workshops / meeting attendance (Tony, Adam)
    • Next NAASC workshop. Tony and Sienny will talk this week regarding logistics.
      • Tony LOC lead
      • Sienny SOC lead
      • Tentative proposal is to postpone meeting to after the first of the year. Perhaps January, or later (March). Tony and Sienny will talk more about this (perhaps with Aaron at 4pm today).

  • Tutorials (Kartik)
    • New mousepad (v3.0) sent for production mode last week - should be ready for AAS. Mark Adams is paying for 500 of these.
    • Great feedback from all CDEs - even did a CASA run through of an ALMA data set for Tucson. 4 more CDEs left including those today (Boston, Amherst, NYC)
    • Over 700 astronomers reached at the end of this ~ 1/4 of the US community
    • There is further push from various places for emphasizing the synergy with EVLA and GBT - one idea is to do similar CDEs for EVLA - need to talk to Gustaaf and Claire about this and see how we can help; perhaps they might put on a few CDEs in July?
    • One useful product to take on the road: the Overview Talk.

    • What shall we do about tutorials in the fall?
      • BootCamp(s) in the fall - proposers that were accepted pre-registered; then open to others
        • one in SOC and one in CHO (any kind of data; EVLA, ALMA)
        • HIA will probably simply work with people individually so that data can actually be reduced, since their community is likely to be small enough.

  • Community Outreach and Science web (Mark, Aaron)
      • Google map of all CED and Science events is now available on NAASC Science website

  • EPO

  • NRC -
    • Finished up one CDE, next one in London, ON
    • ALMA lunchtime session during Canadian Astronomical Association.
    • Brenda is writing an article for eNews.

3. New Business?

-- LyndeleVonSchill - 2011-05-16
Topic revision: r2 - 2011-05-17, AnthonyRemijan
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback