1. Review of Pending Items:
  • OPEN Write Knowledge base articles on recommended pwv's and central observing frequencies (Scott)
  • Scott reports that while getting a handle on the pwv is pretty straightforward (can be obtained from the OT), the delta pwv is not well-understood, or at least well-documented. Suggestions were made for tracking down the official documentation from Al or the JAO.
  • Scott also reports that Todd may have some suggestions for the central observing freq.
  • OPEN Helpdesk tracking issue with the Ephemeris tickets (Tony) - waiting for testing by JAO; hopefully something will show up in technical menu
  • Ticket has been put to draft; has not been tested or implemented; No documentation on how to put ephemeris into OT yet. Waiting on CSV or and/or Richard for further guidance. Tell people - we will try and do this on a best efforts basis - if pushed can say, the capability does not exist yet.
  • OPEN Development of an on-line mm course or creation of chapters for basic astrophysics for non-mm experts.
  • Jim Braatz has agreed to lead this. He will design the framework of what this course or chapters etc. should contain. He will recruit Carilli's help at the moment and then involve Keohane (sabbatical visitor) in this work. The framework may involve different approaches (ppt slide show, chapters added to other radio interferometry courses, etc.) for different audiences.
  • OPEN Develop a single, master ppt presentation template for CDE tutorials (Lyndele w/ Mark Adams)
  • Mark, Lyndele, Purav will do it this week.
  • CLOSED WITH FUTURE SUGGESTIONS FOR ENHANCEMENTS: Adam updated the general ALMA meeting poster.
  • It has been posted on the Google Site. May want to consider developing another one for science highlights.
  • DONE BUT NEEDS TO BE REDONE: PDFs from AAS (Aaron) - were posted a long time ago but links ARE broken as we switched to Plone last week. Dong Chan is working on fixing this.
  • OPEN Review Plone website for problems (all)

  • Scott reports that NSF was concerned about the level of mentoring but for the NAASC postdocs we are doing everything we said in the proposal but we need to be better about reporting it. For the other postdocs, this may still be an issue. Scott is working with Chris Carilli on this. Quarterly and yearly reporting will be improved.
  • BEING DONE / NO INPUT NEEDED: Make and publish a long term visitor program plan (Scott and Aaron)
  • Scott and Aaron are developing a plan for selecting long-term visitors and trying to determine if it will be separate or incorporated into NRAO plan? Fred is in favor of one NRAO plan to which the NAASC would contribute. John notes that we do NOT have any money for anything but data reduction visits in our budget. For now, visitors are to use the NRAO plan (T. Bastion).
  • Amy has completed updating the casaguide for simdata for v3.2
  • Crystal requested that no one make changes to hierarchy of the webpages (DCK may have made some - needs to be corrected so there are no broken links)
  • Kartik noted that based on Crystal's suggestion at the Tiger team meeting, whomever ends up taking charge of science verification data, should come up with a script in the same format at that used in CASAGUIDES currently so that it can easily be ported into a new casaguide with screen shots. John recommends involving the post-docs in this data reduction and casaguides production process.

2. Task leads reports / new business
  • Documentation (Jim)
    • Organization questions: Carol will provide information about first long-term visitor ( ) who may help Jim B on developing course. His role is wide-open. Jim will think about how a course should be designed.
    • Have visitor complete a helpdesk ticket for visit.
    • Gerald will have updates to Primer; Primer will not be uploaded before May 15th.
    • John is taking lead on Technical manual; send comments directly to JAO
  • Helpdesk (Tony)
    • Adam is on triage
    • Tony has updated helpdesk wiki with notes from F2F meeting; none will implemented until after working group mtg and SciOps review (on Thursday).
    • changes now need to go through Helpdesk
    • 1 ticket last week
    • Suggested clock on page for proposal deadline to address 1500UT issue. Possible that the relateively low NOI numbers may be due to early deadline.
  • Visitors (Scott)
  • Postdoc mentoring (Scott)
  • Workshops / meeting attendance (Adam)
    • printing poster for Irvine tutorial
  • Tutorials (Kartik)
    • New mousepad (v3.0) sent for production mode last week - should be ready for AAS. Mark Adams is paying for 500 of these.
    • 7 more CDEs left including those today (Cville, Iowa, Arizona, Irvine (conference), Boston, Amherst, NYC)
    • Over 700 astronomers reached at the end of this ~ 1/4 of the US community
    • There is further push from various places for emphasizing the synergy with EVLA and GBT - one idea is to do similar CDEs for EVLA - need to talk to Gustaaf and Claire about this and see how we can help.
      • Ensure that all slides related to EVLA and GBT are included in presentation - during Overview.
    • What shall we do about tutorials in the fall?
      • After proposal deadline, begin incorporating EVLA, GBT in CDEs
      • OT and SimData until proposal deadline, then change to data processing tutorials? When?
      • Phase II - Should we hold data processing tutorials here in CHO - perhaps webcasts?
  • Science web (Aaron)
    • DCK has been cleaning up web pages/broken links from Plone transfer, esp links from Archive.
    • OPEN Should have page that caters specifically to NA community; DCK & Aaron will work on putting this into place
  • Outreach (Mark)
    • Austin 2012 AAS Meeting - Submit proposal for Town Hall
      • ALMA Special Sessions for NAASC - YES to inform community about ES and info about status of array and capabilities for Cycle 1.
    • AAAS (Vancouver, Feb 2012) Proposals have been submitted (pulsars) and possibly ALMA & EVLA ES: "New Frontiers in the Radio Universe" - Christine Wilson, Dave Wilner, Kartik. Will hear in early July about acceptance.

3. New Business?
  • User Committee meeting in GB
  • By end of summer, NRAO wants to put together a case for how well we're doing in synergy across agency. Who will be managing organization for North America? Possibly split off from NRAO - needs to be re-competed. Need to demonstrate synergy! Need to be working towards that.
  • OPEN Data meeting last week - report at next DSG meeting.
  • Tony on LOC; events coordinator with Mark
  • New science portal on Friday, Oct 13

-- CarolLonsdale - 2011-05-09

-- LyndeleVonSchill - 2011-05-09

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > UserSupportGroup > PastMinutes > USG2011May09Minutes
Topic revision: 2011-05-09, LyndeleVonSchill
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback