2PM EDT Thursday December 15 in CV 230 IP: 126.96.36.199 Telephone hub: 434 972 7268
In attendance: Scott S, David H., Mark A., Dongchan, Rachel, Adam, Lyndele, Gerald (HIA), Jonathan (phone in)
From Chile: Kartik, Ed, Carol
1. News and overview
2. Coordination with other groups and activities
- IT5 finished on Tuesday.
- Special Session application was accepted (?), Alaska AAS (Anchorage)
- Get confirmation from Mark Adams - Confirmed for Thursday
- Initial feedback about CDE in Maryland (~26 participants, 1/2 ALMA)
3. Main items
- Site, CSV, SCO
- Progress on current observing session?
- How is 8.1 working?
- Kartik: strong possibility starting at 4pm today, but not confirmed. Yesterday the inert gas was filled in, but didn't restart because they wanted to make sure they understood what had happened.
- 8.1 aspects still need testing
- turn around time has been increasing, but will slow over holidays
- DSG & computing
- Tiger Team - no meetings recently, so probably no update
4. USG task reports & new business
- CDE feedback forms
- Survey monkey
- Plone form
- First data release
Current USG Focus Items
- HIA - everyone out lately. Carol wanted to know what kind of science examples you need for Primer? Gerald: is getting an example from EA. Have not received a science example from ESO. Carol: Do we need a small group to think about this more fully? Gerald: will get back to Carol on this.
- Taiwan and EA Liaison (Aaron)
- Documentation (Jim, Jonathan)
- Facilities brochure being updated - will ping people for input as needed
- Helpdesk (Tony)
- PI Support & Visitors (Scott, Carol)
- Development of outreach materials (Carol)
- Workshops, Schools, Meetings (Tony, Adam)
- agenda went to Al for summer school, he has signed off. Lessons learned from DR workshop written for memo, Practice for splinter session dry run (Fri at 1pm)
- Tutorials (Carol)
- Working on webinars recommendation from Users meeting (similar to Herschel)
- Webinar suggestion:
- seems like a useful idea
- Should a webinar be a pre-recorded training? Or live presentation?
- Jonathan - Herschel uses same software that we used. Opinion - tutorials are better; they can be available. Adam - agree; recording a version of training is a low-cost version. CASA guides and Primer have been carefully developed; does not see need for audio version of written documentation.
- Carol strongly suggests that Jonathan look into the hands-on program at Herschel. Jonathan will look into this; Kartik will send contact person's name to Jonathan.
- Rachel's suggestion: Availability of chat to respond to questions about posted presentations - scheduled regularly.
- Webform for Feedback from users in Plone or SurveyMonkey? LimeSurvey (David)? David suggested coming up with what should be on the form - then decide the best tool for collecting the data. Make sure that its phone friendly. Kartik give copy of last year's Survey to David
- Community Outreach and Science Web (Mark, Aaron)
- Cycle 1 capabilities, configurations, tools, simulations, documentation, staff training
- CDEs: materials and dry run
- AAS dry runs, Dec 12
- Batch 3 SBs - all but a couple of SBs have been generated. Please try to contact your PI before the holiday break, so that some progress can be made.