August 22, 2011 Minutes
Present: Gerald, Al, Carol, Scott, Jim, Jarrod, James, Doug, Aaron, Lyndele, Adam, Tony, Dongchan, John, Andy, Kartik
USG Meeting 22 Aug - 2pm ER 230
1. Current Focus Items
Doug: Should be running the guides from the latest stable version; latest on August 3rd - available on CASA website. Request for clarity on latest stable CASA version. Adam - clarify this issue with Crystal and put out a note (including what the Canadians should be doing).
- New SV data has been deployed - prepare for questions from community (all)
- "Friend" assignments when proposal review results are announced: first week of September (Scott, management team)
- Anyone on the NAASC can be a 'friend' - best match.
- Scott will coordinate with Gerald about where visitors will be assigned (proximity).
- Question: Does doing your own project qualify for credit for 'friend' service? For future discussion
- Training for visitor support:
- SBs: Sept 7pm or Sept 12 (for the first projects to be scheduled) (lead: Kartik; at least assigned friends participate; more depending on room space available)
- Data Processing: Sept 8,9 (lead: Crystal; all participate)
- Cycle0 feedback and lessons learned (Tony, John)
- We will mail all registered users requesting feedback on their experience- deadline end of September? Include question about failed fits files?
- ANASAC meeting, Sept 28, 29 [ASAC meeting is in CV, Oct 5,6] (Al, Carol)
- Material updates for Cycle 1? Science Web? Booth? Pamphlets? Mousepads? Primer? Other? (Aaron, Adam)
2. Task leads reports / new business
- Monthly reports (Lyndele)
- NRC (Gerald)
- working on exercises for SV workshop- coming up with more than 5 questions
- Doug: Should use Linux box - not Macs for multiple users - Mark Lacy has been alerted
- Documentation (Jim)
- SimData documentation: Remy working on interface and changes to documentation will be made. Andy and Scott have been making changes.
- Background work has taken place on online course
- Comments from the ARP panel discussions: SimData is important to improve (number of failure modes relatively high).
- Helpdesk (Tony)
- Visitors (Scott)
- Works in progress: ST visitor feedback form; will remain NRAO specific.
- Draft of LT visitor call - Aaron - post an ad in Sep newsletter (Need to coordinate through OS and needs Mgmt team approval)
- Interferometry weekly talk will resume in late September.
- Postdoc mentoring (Scott)
- Ariel (late October), Kimberly Scott, Hubble and Einsten Fellows are here.
- Workshops / Meeting Attendance (Tony, Adam)
- NAASC contributing $15k? Need to confirm.
- UVA contributing $5k
- Dec 1 final deadline for setting up AAS splinter session - need proposal. Adam will outline and coordinate with EVLA (Gustaaf).
- Tutorials (Kartik, Carol)
- Greenbank CDE Oct 20 (Adam, John)- need to define program
- East (Dec 14) and west coast NRAO-wide CDEs (with Dave Frayer (GBT), Gustaaf Van Moorsel (ASC)). Berkeley probable for west coast
- Two day data processing workshop for successful ALMA teams (but open to all) Dec 6,7 (Kartik, Carol)
- Single Dish School, early November (Aaron)- 2 from EA ARC will come. Nov 3 & 4 proposed. NAASC staff (in house). Possibly hosting people from Chile? Aaron will check.
- ALMA Early Science results workshop in Chile (Aug - Nov 2012) - sort out at ASAC Meeting. Al will put on Agenda.
- Community Outreach and Science Web (Mark, Aaron)
- Where is website going? Perhaps include more education material on the website. Highlights from the course that's being developed. Aaron to propose a straw plan and schedule for next meeting.
- Recommendations for equipment - similar to EVLA?
- DSG liaisons (Adam, Tony)
3. Top Priority Pending Action Items
- All to add expertise to helpdesk table.
- All working through CASA Guides in preparation for training meeting.