August 22, 2011 Minutes

Present: Gerald, Al, Carol, Scott, Jim, Jarrod, James, Doug, Aaron, Lyndele, Adam, Tony, Dongchan, John, Andy, Kartik

USG Meeting 22 Aug - 2pm ER 230

1. Current Focus Items
  • New SV data has been deployed - prepare for questions from community (all)
  • "Friend" assignments when proposal review results are announced: first week of September (Scott, management team)
    • Anyone on the NAASC can be a 'friend' - best match.
    • Scott will coordinate with Gerald about where visitors will be assigned (proximity).
    • Question: Does doing your own project qualify for credit for 'friend' service? For future discussion
  • Training for visitor support:
    • SBs: Sept 7pm or Sept 12 (for the first projects to be scheduled) (lead: Kartik; at least assigned friends participate; more depending on room space available)
    • Data Processing: Sept 8,9 (lead: Crystal; all participate)
  • Cycle0 feedback and lessons learned (Tony, John)
    • We will mail all registered users requesting feedback on their experience- deadline end of September? Include question about failed fits files?
  • ANASAC meeting, Sept 28, 29 [ASAC meeting is in CV, Oct 5,6] (Al, Carol)
  • Material updates for Cycle 1? Science Web? Booth? Pamphlets? Mousepads? Primer? Other? (Aaron, Adam)

Doug: Should be running the guides from the latest stable version; latest on August 3rd - available on CASA website. Request for clarity on latest stable CASA version. Adam - clarify this issue with Crystal and put out a note (including what the Canadians should be doing).

2. Task leads reports / new business
  • Monthly reports (Lyndele)
  • NRC (Gerald)
    • working on exercises for SV workshop- coming up with more than 5 questions
    • Doug: Should use Linux box - not Macs for multiple users - Mark Lacy has been alerted
  • Documentation (Jim)
    • SimData documentation: Remy working on interface and changes to documentation will be made. Andy and Scott have been making changes.
    • Background work has taken place on online course
    • Comments from the ARP panel discussions: SimData is important to improve (number of failure modes relatively high).
  • Helpdesk (Tony)
    • Quiet
  • Visitors (Scott)
    • Works in progress: ST visitor feedback form; will remain NRAO specific.
    • Draft of LT visitor call - Aaron - post an ad in Sep newsletter (Need to coordinate through OS and needs Mgmt team approval)
    • Interferometry weekly talk will resume in late September.
  • Postdoc mentoring (Scott)
    • Ariel (late October), Kimberly Scott, Hubble and Einsten Fellows are here.
  • Workshops / Meeting Attendance (Tony, Adam)
    • NAASC contributing $15k? Need to confirm.
    • UVA contributing $5k
    • Dec 1 final deadline for setting up AAS splinter session - need proposal. Adam will outline and coordinate with EVLA (Gustaaf).
  • Tutorials (Kartik, Carol)
    • Greenbank CDE Oct 20 (Adam, John)- need to define program
    • East (Dec 14) and west coast NRAO-wide CDEs (with Dave Frayer (GBT), Gustaaf Van Moorsel (ASC)). Berkeley probable for west coast
    • Two day data processing workshop for successful ALMA teams (but open to all) Dec 6,7 (Kartik, Carol)
    • Single Dish School, early November (Aaron)- 2 from EA ARC will come. Nov 3 & 4 proposed. NAASC staff (in house). Possibly hosting people from Chile? Aaron will check.
    • ALMA Early Science results workshop in Chile (Aug - Nov 2012) - sort out at ASAC Meeting. Al will put on Agenda.
  • Community Outreach and Science Web (Mark, Aaron)
    • Where is website going? Perhaps include more education material on the website. Highlights from the course that's being developed. Aaron to propose a straw plan and schedule for next meeting.
    • Recommendations for equipment - similar to EVLA?
  • DSG liaisons (Adam, Tony)
    • Splatalogue updated

3. Top Priority Pending Action Items
  • All to add expertise to helpdesk table.
  • All working through CASA Guides in preparation for training meeting.

-- CarolLonsdale - 2011-08-22

-- LyndeleVonSchill - 2011-08-22
Topic revision: r3 - 2011-08-26, CarolLonsdale
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback