Remijan updated the status of the Victoria meeting. Registration for the main meeting is now CLOSED but the tutorial session is still open and taking registrations.
Gerald arrives for the TTT on Sun PM and will be here through Thurs AM
James arrives for the TTT on Mon PM and will be here through Thurs AM
Update on Train The Trainers
ACTION ITEM: All the staff participating in the TTT session should go through at least one CASAGUIDE before attending.
For the OT:
Harvey will plan to do a 30min overview followed by a 1 hour hands-on experience with the participants.
Will be a Q&A session mostly run by Crystal with the goal that the participants should be able to use CASA well enough to run SIMDATA.
Crystal will also run a mm/submm discussion group at the end of the first day and will try to cover as many topics as possible that come up.
ACTION ITEM: KS to send more specific information to the trainers.
CLOSED: Kartik sent the appropriate information to both the participants and trainers.
ACTION ITEM: Jim will follow-up with Harvey on the latest most stable version of the OT to install. One that will work on our version of Linux in CHV is preferred. He will report back to us on the progress.
CLOSED: The version will work if you run it from the command line.
ACTION ITEM: KS to followup on the wiki that records OT issues and include the OT problem.
CLOSED: If there are problems running either CASA or the OT, please send Kartik an email with the problems you are having and he will update and report the problems to the appropriate people and wiki pages.
Revised tutorial plan
A .pdf was sent by Kartik and is also posted off the wiki page for the community days and tutorials plan. The dates for the spring tutorials are TBD after we hear on the CfP.
ACTION ITEM: Jim will work on preparing the Proposer's Guide with the intention that it will be released after the CfP. In addition, he will coordinate with John in organizing this effort because there were a lot of "Plans for Early Science" documents prepared by the ARCs for the reviews.
OPEN: Jim is going ahead with the proposers guide. Version 1.0 will be an online version incorporating other links to existing documents online.
ACTION ITEM: Jim, Aaron and Scott to review overlaps of material between the web and documents such as the proposed proposer's guide, and define what the "user's guide" should be (document; new web pages; woven into existing web).
CLOSED: Jim talked with Scott about what is contained in the Visitor's guide to make sure there was no overlap and Jim will use the existing material and link to it off the science web pages in the development of the Proposers' guide.
ACTION ITEM: How does the Proposers' Guide overlap with the NAASC Guide?
Meeting set for Thurs, Nov 4th at 3:30 with Jim, Lyndelle and Scott to discuss the status of the NAASC guide.
Science Web (Aaron)
Two big issues remaining:
ACTION ITEM: Make sure all the numbers in the PRIMER agree with the numbers on the webpage
CLOSED: All equations and numbers from the PRIMER and the web pages now agree.
NRC personnel pages
Action item to Aaron will make a "groups" link at the top of the page an NRC-hosted page.
Action item to NRC to populate it.
The only change that the PRIMER needs to make before posting was changing the wording to "four bands" instead of "more than 3 bands". Aaron will eliminate the current link of the PRIMER off the NAASC pages until a new version is posted circa Dec 1st.
EU and EA would also like to submit ES examples to the PRIMER. The hope is that these examples would not focus on imaging.
The JAO EPO group has developed a template for ALMA documents which everyone agreed did not represent the ALMA project very well. There was also a question of "branding" on the document to our colleagues at the NRC or other European ARC nodes that were not currently on the template.
ACTION ITEM: Needs a to follow-up with the JAO EPO office on these topics. Most likely, Remijan and Evans will bring this up to J. Stoke at the EPO working group meeting.
ACTION ITEM: JAO EPO also wants an article on the NAASC and other ARCs that focus on the "human element". Again something to bring up to the EPO working group.
ACTION ITEM: Remijan and Sharp are preparing a short presentation that will be made available to the other ARCs on what type of reporting that can be generated using mysql queries from the Kayako database.
OPEN: The focus has been on reporting for tirage. Sharp has made a basic SQL query that reports back as an XML table. This will then be included into a more formal report. This reporting will then be passed onto the other ARCs for discussion.
Jim asked if the ES proposals will be assigned a "friend". Currently, this is not the plan for responding to questions on specific questions for a project. The plan is to use the helpdesk where problems on a project will be assigned to a USS if necessary.
ACTION ITEM: Remijan to post Liz Humphries talk off the NAASC wiki page so we can see what is currently being worked on in the CSV OBSMODE group.
ACTION ITEM: Remijan and Evans will prepare a document on how the NAASC will disseminate and work with the SciComm? and EPO groups. Remijan has a meeting with M. Adams on Thurs.
CLOSED: Remijan/Evans will meet weekly with the SciComm and EPO heads to report on NAASC news. Also, this news should then be conveyed to the ALMA EPO working group. Who is a member of that working group from NA is not clear and will be discussed at the next NAASC/EPO meeting to be held this week Fri at 2PM.
ACTION ITEM: Al continues to report on the construction project and other ALMA related news items. Remijan/Evans responsible for the monthly, "This Month @ the NAASC" eNews article that will involve the contributions from many of the NAASC staff. First article went out in the Nov eNews and thanks for everyone contributing to the effort! If possible, have Tanya actually write the next article with input from us?