NAASC Meeting for Sept 07, 2011

Table of Contents

This agenda is available at

Meeting Logistics:

  • Call date: Wednesday, Sept 07, 2011
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.0 hr
  • Locations: CV-ER230/TUC-N525/AOC-west conf. room/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC
  • Connection for Video:
    • From NRAO select "CV-ER230"
    • hub ip=
    • alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops:
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard


  • CV: K. Scott, H. Liszt, J. Hibbard, J. Braatz,E. Fomalont, M. Adams, S. Hatz, S. Myers, T. Hunter, A. Leroy, D. Chan, T. Remijan, R. Pulliam, C. Brogan, S. Schnee, A. Wootten, Tania, J. Stoke, J. Crossley
  • TUC:
  • Socorro: Heidi Medlin
  • Canada: Gerald, Doug
  • Chile: Baltasar Vila Vilaro, Stephane Leon, Bill Dent, Juan Cortes.
  • Other: Edwige Chppilon
  • Apologies: Carol (SED meeting); Mark Lacy (SED meeting)

Action Items

Open Action Items:
  • Finish NAASC Visitor/New Employees guide (USG/von Schill)

Closed Action Items:


  • NAASC Visitors: Lots in for CASA DataReducWorkshop: JAO: Baltasar Vila Vilaro, Stephane Leon, Bill Dent, Juan Cortes. EU ARC: Dirk Petry, Liz Humphries, Martin Zwaan. EA ARC: Daisuke Iono, Edwige Chapillon. Socorro: Joe McMullin, Steve Myers, Heidi Medlin. Other: Jonathan Keohane for 9mo sabbatical
  • Personnel
  • Project News (AWootten)
  • Group Reports
    • Science Communications & EPO (T. Burchel/Lyndele):
      • Working on press release; NRAO, NAOJ and JAO
      • Working on upgrades/improvements to ALMA Explorer; also translated into Spanish by colleagues in Santiago
      • Canadians would like to do press release on Band 3;
      • Targeted date of release Sept30
      • Broadcast documentary on ALMA - rough cut available for review - will ask scientist at CV
      • Contributing a number of graphics to the documentary project.
      • Al noted that Correlator is almost completed
      • "Monster Moves" aired on EU version of Discovery Channel - John Stoke has the DVD and will make copies
      • eNews will publish Sept 8th
      • AAS in Austin -
        • NRAO TOwn Hall
          • Tuesday, 6:30-8:30pm
          • Special Session Wednesday (Cycle 0 & Cycle 1 capabilities; A. Leroy)
          • Splinter Session on Thursday
        • Calendar (with AAS Membership) includes helicopter image (J. Hibbard)
        • Early registration next week
    • NaascManagement (Al)
    • Next Science Workshop (VI): Outflows, Winds, and Jets: from Young Stars to Supermassive Black Holes (Lonsdale)
      • SOC: NAASC: Lonsdale, Lacy, Brogan, Kimball; ANASAC: Neufeld, Padgett, Scott, Williams, Wilner; Taiwan: Hsien (Chair), Ho; Lockman, Chandler, VLBA: TBD; Chile: TBD
      • LOC: A. Remijan, L. von Schill, N. Marcelino, K. Ransom
      • Possible date: March 3-6, 2012- Omni Hotel
    • UserSupportGroup (Carol)
      • See USGMeetingMinutesAug29
      • Braatz is working on plan for mm course to be developed w/Jonathan Keohane (H-S college) during sabbatical visit (starts Sept). Based on Condon & Ransom course model.
    • DataServicesGroup (Mark)
    • JAOSupportGroup (John H)
      • See JAOsupportMinutes2011Aug25
      • Starting to plan data reduction support visits to Chile. First set: Crystal & Todd, Oct 17-Nov 4. Other candidates: Ed, Remy, Al, Kartik, Steve?. Tentative schedule will be worked out in JSG meetings and posted to NAASC2Chile.
    • Imaging/Data Tiger Team (Crystal)
    • News from NRC (Schieven):
      • Welcome input on how to improve Primer
      • Will need new science cases
    • News from Taiwan (Aaron)
      • Would like to hold joint workshop with us in Hawaii, Fall 2012 (same timeframe as project wants to sponsor pan-Executive ALMA meeting in Chile)
      • Discuss at ASAC Meeting -
  • Main Topic:
    • PRP results & Cycle 0 Phase 2 process
      • 9:1 oversubscription. 112 "Highest Priority" projects (38 NA). 52 "Filler" projects (19 NA).
      • email notifications to PIs sent this morning. Complaints are already coming in to the helpdesk!
      • The ALMA "Phase 2 Group" (P2G) is busy creating ph2 products (SBs, JIRA tickets) for 22 "Highest Priority" projects.
        • P2G: Mark Rawlings, Alison Peck, Stuartt Corder, Diego Garcia, Kartik Sheth, Harvey Liszt, Andy Biggs, Liz Humphries, Aya Higuchi, Yasutaka Kurono
        • Attended a bootcamp in Santiago Aug 24-26
      • Contact scientists assigned to first 10 "Highest Priority" projects assigned to NA: Kartik, Aaron (2), Crystal, Todd, Al, Jim, Adam, Scott
      • Next steps: training for above staff on Phase2 process and procedures for reviewing with PI's by Kartik & Harvey. Afternoon of next Wed, Sept 14, in Rm 230. These staff review ph2 projects with PIs by Sept 25, after which P2G "validates" (marking them "Ready" for observing).
      • After that: need to assign contact scientists for remaining "highest priority" projects. Dates & numbers to be discussed at telecon tomorrow morning. Anticipate holding a 2nd training session prior to preparation of next batch of ph2 products
    • Cycle 1: strawhominid capabilities & timeline

  • Any Other Business
Topic revision: r2 - 2011-09-10, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback