NAASC Meeting for January 05, 2011
Table of Contents
This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2011Jan05
- Call date: Wednesday, Jan 05, 2011
- Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
- Duration: 1.0 hr
- Locations: CV-ER230/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC
- Connection for Video:
- From NRAO select "CV-ER230"
- hub ip=188.8.131.52
- alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 184.108.40.206
- USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
- Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
- Passcode: 8445333#
- Leader: Hibbard
- CV: Hibbard, Lonsdale, Braatz, Lacy, Remy, Hunter, Brogan, Hatz, Remijan, Liszt, Schnee, Kim, Evans, Marcelino, Friesen, Kent, Mangum, Mehringer, Stoke, Kimball, von Schill, Sharp (apologies: Sheth, Wootten)
- Socorro: Brian G.
- Canada: Gerald, James
- Chile: Stuartt
Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)
Action Items from this meeting:
- ACTION: Develop plan for where to post pre-announcement. Also point to Canada's page.
- WHO:Carol, Aaron, John Stoke
- ACTION: Tell John which staff should be science or technical assessors
- WHO: Gerald
- Project News (APeck/RHills or CSV Liaisons)
- ALMA Biweekly Calendar
- Stuartt - migrated to ALMA 8 release. Still having trouble telescope monitoring control dbase. Currently in a check-out phase.9 antennas.
- Group Reports
- NaascManagement (Carol)
- New NAASC Org Chart available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NAASCOrgPolicies (2nd item). Crystal has been asked by JAO to provide significant support to Imaging Team; moves to role as Science Support Lead. Carol takes over leadership of UserSupportGroup. Amy Kimball now in data services. Crystal will be taking lead on Tiger Team.
- ANASAC (AWootten)
- Last telecon: Dec 03, 2pm ET. See Agenda
- R. Osten & A. Bolatto will participate in IT3
- Next telecon:TBD
- ALMA Development including text of proposed Call (internal only)
- Science Communications & EPO (A. Remijan/A. Evans)
- AAS events are all ready to go (NRAO Town Hall, ALMA Special Session, ALMA Splinter Session)
- PBS ALMA documentary - filmed in Oct in CHO, last month in Europe filmed where components of antenna were built. Footage available in a week or so. At AAS we hope to film ALMA scientists; T & W would be best days, but can film at other times.
- Sabbatical visitor, Jonathon Keohone from Hampdon Sydney Collage will be here in the Fall. He would like to develop ALMA-relevant material for Astro-101 level classes, and may be available for developing other science outreach materials, e.g. demonstrating concepts of synthesis imaging. Something to keep in mind.
- ALMA "Early Science Pre-announcement" and "Call for Science Verification Projects" will be released either tomorrow or Friday. We need to decide when/how to distribute AI on Carol, Aaron, Mark Adams
- News from NRC (Schieven)
- UserSupportGroup (Crystal)
- DataServicesGroup (Mark) Visitor machine with solid state disk is now in the visitor room 206
- JAOSupportGroup (John H)
- Ed F. is finishing up a tour including 4 tourno's; returns Jan 24.
- JH, AW, CB, TH, KS, GS will attend SciOpsIPTf2f meeting in Victoria Jan18-20.
- JH, CB & TH will attend CIPT planning meeting in Socorro Jan 24-25
- HL, JH, CB & TH at ALMA Observing FBT meeting Jan 26-27.
- Imaging/Data Tiger Team will meet tomorrow
- Main Topic
- Part 1 of IT3 is scheduled to start today. Proposal preparation and submission. 1-2 Early Science proposals with real technical justification and OT setup. Ends with submission "Load test" on January 28 between UT 12:00-12:15
- Instructions available at http://wikis.alma.cl/bin/view/DSO/IntegratedTestJanuary2011TesterInstructions
- Waiting for User Portal to incorporate Institutional database and clarification on draft of Early Science CfP; wait for email announcement before starting.
- Role assignment as currently planned is included as a png file attached to the bottom of this wiki. PLEASE LET JH KNOW ASAP IF THE ROLES ARE NOT CORRECT!!! DO YOU EXPECT TO TAKE PART IN ASSESSMENT AND ARE NOT LISTED? NOT AVAILABLE FOR PHASE2 PART BUT ARE LISTED?
- DSO Wiki for IT3
- Any Other Business
Additional Supporting Material
Tester role assignments for IT3:
NAASC items submitted to JAO for December 2010 Monthly report
Applications are being accepted for a NAASC Postdoctoral
Stuartt Corder and Ed Fomalont provided support to the JAO Science
team and supported deployment of the R8 software release. A survey of
strong southern sources was begun. NAASC staff participated in the JAO
systems, calibration, and imaging teams, developed tools and scripts
for system evaluation and supported a visit from the JAO Imaging Team
lead, Eric Villiard. Evaluated candidate Early Science array
Participated in telecons and worked on drafts of Operations policies
for Proposal review, Phase2 change requests, Technical Assessment,
Archive, Science Portal, Document templates, and helpdesk.
Participated in planning for high bandwith network links
with JAO staff.
Software Development & testing
Pre-tested Science Portal and updated entry forms, Staff Guide and test
instructions for ALMA Helpdesk for use in IT3. NAASC archive staff
traveled to Chile to help finalize Computing IPT hardware
purchase. Installed local instance of ALMA Science Portal.
Conferences and workshops
An eNews article and flyer advertising NAASC-supported community
training and ALMA Early Science events leading up to the first
proposal deadline was distributed along with a solicitation for NA
institutions to host ALMA Early Science Community Days. At least two
events per month are planned from January 2011 through the first
proposal deadline. A webpage and tutorial registration was deployed.
Planning continues for NAASC participation in the January AAS in
Seattle WA, which will include an ALMA Special Session: "Observing
with ALMA" and an ALMA "Splinter Session" on Jan 12; and on the
NAASC/NRC workshop entitled "ALMA: Extending the Limits of
Astrophysical Spectroscopy", to be held Jan 15-17 2011 in Victoria, BC
). The workshop
includes a day of tutorials on ALMA Early Science and the ALMA
Reviewed Early Science materials, and made major updates to ALMA Early
Science Primer to properly reflect the expected Early Science
capabilities. Held a staff training session for the ALMA Helpdesk.
Talks highlighting ALMA Early Science capabilities were given at
UCSB and George Mason University.