NAASC Meeting for February 02, 2011
Table of Contents
This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2011Feb02
- Call date: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011
- Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
- Duration: 1.0 hr
- Locations: CV-ER230/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC
- Connection for Video:
- From NRAO select "CV-ER230"
- hub ip=22.214.171.124
- alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 126.96.36.199
- USA toll-free Number: 877-803-9367
- Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
- Passcode: 8445333#
- Leader: Hibbard
- CV: SS, RP, AR, JM, CB, HL, JB, LvS, DCK, AE, DM, CL, Kartik, Kelly, NM, ML, AK, AW, TH, RI, MAdams, JH
- Socorro: EF
- Canada: DJ, JdF
- Other: Apologies: SC, GS, BG
Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)
Action Items from this meeting:
- Project News (CSV Liaisons)
- Group Reports
- NaascManagement (Carol)
- ANASAC (AWootten)
- Last telecon: Dec 03, 2pm ET. See Agenda
- ALMA Development including text of proposed Call (internal only). Will be workshop in Charlottesville on March 21 (website?)
- Science Communications & EPO (T. Burchel/A. Evans)
- January ALMA Newsletter. Good articles, esp. on SV and Correlator. However no representation of NA training events - need to close the loop between us and ALMA EPO WG so we get items in.
- News from NRC (Schieven)
- UserSupportGroup (Carol)
- USG2011Jan24AgendawithMinutes, USG2011Jan31AgendawithMinutes
- Kartik reported on "Community Day" requests/plans. Captured in USG minutes. Will work on staffing for all events starting today. In house training for all trainers before the Feb CV event (9 people signed up for that). Boston AAS: requested two 3-hr sessions for training in rooms that hold ~50.
- DataServicesGroup (Mark)
- JAOSupportGroup (John H)
- IT3: OT test over. 90 proposals submitted (expected 130). Matrix was due yesterday. Entering Assessment phase. See Part 2 of instructions. You should have received your assignments - accept assignment if no conflict, otherwise reject. TA training videocon Friday UT1230-1430 (0730-0930 ET). If interested, TH, HL & JH can attend and give summary later in the day. Strong support for the latter model. Other notes on IT3: load test failed. DJ will follow up what happened w/Lars.
- Ed F. has finished up 3mo tour in Chile. Now in Socorro meeting with pipeline team. Al leaves for Chile today, thru end of Feb.
- Imaging/Data Tiger Team is looking for a new time to meet
- Main Topic
- Upcoming events: too many to list, and too many calendars/wiki's. Training session in CV end of Feb.
- JEH Summary of January ALMA Ops meetings (SciOpsIPT f2f Jan 18-20 Victoria; CIPT Planning Jan 24-25 Socorro; ALMA Observing Jan 26-28 Socorro) - see attached pdf
- Any Other Business
Additional Supporting Material
NAASC items submitted to JAO for January 2011 Monthly report
Interviews were held and a shortlist was made for the NAASC
Postdoctoral Fellow position.
Stuartt Corder and Ed Fomalont provided support to the JAO Science
team in Chile.
Contributed and reviewed final drafts of Operations procedures for Proposal
review, Phase2 change requests, Technical Assessment, Archive, Science
Portal, Document templates, and helpdesk. Participated in the Science
Operations IPT face-to-face meeting in Victoria, BC.
Software Development & testing
Participated in Part 1 of ALMA Operations Integrated Test No. 3,
incorporating proposal preparation with the Observing Tool, science
portal registration and evaluation, the ALMA helpdesk, and a load-test
of the proposal submission process. Attended the twice-yearly planning
meeting of the Computing IPT and participated in an ALMA Observing
Mode workshop, both in Socorro, NM.
Worked on "single sign-on" level 2 prototype design. Completed
integration and testing of User Portal and Helpdesk "high
availability" alert system. Converted ASA line transition
query to product-based "browser view" format. Completed CIPT
Hardware surge report. Installed ACS and wvrgcal locally to enable
test data reduction.
Conferences and workshops
A number of ALMA events were conducted at the 217th meeting of the
American Astronomical Society in Seattle, WA. These included an ALMA
update at the NRAO Townhall, an ALMA Special Session highlighting ALMA
science, a Splinter Session introducing users to ALMA proposal tools
and Early Science capabilities, and hands-on demonstrations of ALMA
tools at the NRAO booth.
The NAASC/NRC workshop entitled "ALMA: Extending the Limits of
Astrophysical Spectroscopy" was held Jan 15-17 2011 in Victoria, BC
). The workshop was
attended by 125 scientists from around the world, 80 of which stayed
an extra day to attend tutorials on ALMA Early Science, the ALMA
Observing Tool, and the CASA Simdata task.
Planning started for an ALMA development workshop to be held at
NRAO-Charlottesville March 21-22. Reviewed proposals for ALMA Early
Science "Community Day" events, resulting in the following schedule:
- February 24-25: NRAO, Charlottesville, VA
- March 7: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- March 11: Santa Fe, NM (after "New Horizons" workshop)
- March 15-16: California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- April 18: Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD
- April 20: Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Boston, MA,
- April 26-27: NRAO, Charlottesville, VA
- May 2-3: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- May 8-10: University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- May 9-10: NRAO, Charlottesville, VA
- May 11-13: University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- May 23-24: AAS meeting, Boston, MA
- May 27: Columbia University, NY