This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2010Mar03

Contact Information

  • Call date: Wednesday, March 03, 2010
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Locations: NEW! CV-ER230/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC
  • Connection for Video:
    • NEW! From NRAO select "CV-ER230"
    • NEW! hub ip=192.33.117.16
    • alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 192.33.117.17
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: AR, TH, JM, BK, AL, CL, RI, RF, HL, CB, JH, JG, MT, ML
  • Soc: BG
  • GB:
  • Canada: GS, JdF
  • Tuc:
  • JAO: AP, KS, SC, AW
  • Other:

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: Post FAQ for new hires
    • WHO: Shanika with input from Kartik, Mark L., Aaron, other recent hires
    • DUE: Jan 1, 2010
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Develop & deploy staff pages for the NAASC (http://science.nrao.edu/alma/ALMApeople/naascstaff.shtml)
    • WHO: Shanika/Aaron
    • DUE: preliminary page ready Nov13; new scope: include non-CV sites?
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Carol needs to decide how to incorporate all the different sites & advise Aaron/Shanika (CV/Soc/Tuc/NRC/Chile)
  • ACTION: Post Simdata walkthrough and 6 recipes
    • WHO: Remy
    • DUE: Jan03
    • DONE:

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION: Transfer tickets from old CASA helpdesk to kayako instance
    • WHO: CB: identify tickets to transfer. K.Sharp: transfer tickets
    • DUE: ?
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Post abstracts for Miami AAS special session and advertise
    • WHO: D.-C. Kim/AEvans & CL?
    • DUE: Soon!
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • Project News (APeck/RHills)
    • Due to historic earthquake, offices are closed through next Sunday. Alsacia office seems ok; El Golf had some damage. Travel to Chile is discouraged until next week. All staff we know of appear to be fine (as Eduardo says "Shaken, but not stirred")
    • ALMA Operations Astronomer positions are posted at AAS Job Register and NRAO Careers site. Please encourage qualified people to apply
    • CSV officially started Jan 22
    • AIV Status
    • ALMA Biweekly Calendar

  • NAASC News (Hibbard/Lonsdale)
    • We have contracted with Dong-Chan Kim (UVa) to provide half-time support for NAASC Science Web. Dong-Chan will be based in room 220. Will also help with mediawiki content (especially simdata tutorials).
    • Next CSV tours: AR April 4-24. HL April 18-May 15
    • Crystal and Todd will be away doing EVLA RSRO April 20-June30
    • Sheila Kannappan from UNC arrived in January and will be visiting us until June
    • NAASC weekly meetings formerly held on Tuesdays will henceforth be held on Wednesdays 1:30-2:30 ET.
    • Shortlist for NAASC Scientists has been made; interviews proceeding
    • Tony's offer to Robin Pulliam (Az) has been accepted. She will start as a postdoc in June to help support splatalogue while Tony is in Chile
    • Kartik has a postdoc starting in the Fall to work on S4G: Carlos Munos
    • We have one more postdoc position to fill. Emphasis will be on simdata and training materials
    • AOP is being updated to VersE.
      • Feb 3-4 meeting in Charlottesville for summary/status presentation to Directors Council
      • Feb 10-12 AOPvE WG f2f meeting in Santiago (draft maintenance plan and "executable" budget reviewed; Scenarios costed)
      • Feb 22-26 Finance Summit/!HoA meeting (first full budget rolled out)
      • Mar ??: Draft AOPvE due to Board
    • NAASC plan still being drafted. Draft due to AUI by March 26

  • NRC News (Schieven)
    • Group discussion of "in-kind" contributions. MOU needs renewed.
    • Victoria will host Jan workshop (after Seattle AAS)

  • ANASAC (AWootten)
    • Report distributed to Lo and Lonsdale. Needs response.
    • Last telecon held on Jan15. Agenda
    • Next telecon: this Friday Agenda
    • ASAC report: EU & EA discussed on Monday. NA will discuss next week. Meeting: Mar 9-10 in Tokyo (CB & BG going)

  • Main Event:
    • Harvey: Results of OT testing
      • Testers: HL, ML, TH, AL, AW.
      • Harvey reported on various issues. Overall useful.
      • BG suggests that Alan Bridger could visit OSF while Harvey is there
      • OT workshop in Garching next week. OSF test output to XML (OT-phase II)

  • Reports from Cognizant Leads
    • Pipeline (Remy)
      • User Test 6 (UT6) is now scheduled to start in Mar? This external test exercises: mosaics, continuum subtracted imaging, group gain calibrations, improved flagging, and improved imaging algorithms
      • NAASC testers: Official - Remy, Rachel. Unofficial - John, Brenda, Kartik.
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Public release (R3.0) is out. Testing patch 3.1 for EVLA.
      • ALMA related CASA tutorials took place in Feb in Taiwan; will take place Manchester Mar31-Apr 1 and in Socorro in June (at Summer School)
      • Using new nrao helpdesk. NEED KELLY TO HELP TRANSFER SOME RELEVANT TICKETS FROM OLD HELPDESK?
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey & Kartik)
      • OT "Auto-Deployed" version. Can be used now to get experience with OT, but its a very unstable version and not always available
      • User test 7.0 released to testers on January 26, with feedback requested by Feb 16. This test will concentrate on Phase I and will use the archive in Santiago. Proposal that are submitted will be important for PT test in March. We have to get many people to take part, and coordinate feedback through Harvey. Planned testers: HL, ML, AW, Adam L., KS? (plus Baker, Johnstone from ASAC)
      • Beta release April 2010.
    • Technical Assessment WG (Harvey, Todd, Jeff, Crystal):
      • I think this effort may have completed? Replace this with Ph1M activities?
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
      • Remy organized and hosted project-wide simulation workshop Jan 11-12 in CV. Meeting clarified and set priorities from user support perspective; discussion on work on web interface (EU), discussion of atmospheric corruption with Bojan, etc. Summary posted at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/Jan2010Wkshop
      • Eelco van Kampen is trying to amass a simulation library: proposed ALMA projects that will be used primarily to create simulated datasets to put into the archive for testing, but which we also want to use for OT tests, PT tests, and developing tutorials. We need people to contribute to this; Remy should collect what projects NA is working on. Tony R. will organize NRAO postdocs to contribute. Eelco's Website for this effort: http://almasimulations.pbworks.com/
      • A really excellent example of how these might proceed is at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/EarlySciSimExamples (why isn't this on casaguides?)
      • Simdata examples being posted to http://casaguides.nrao.edu/index.php?title=Simulation_Recipes. Need Remy to post his ppt walkthrough and scripts for the other six examples (see AI).
      • "Anti-filler" (ms to asdm) is in good shape
    • ALMA Archive (Mark L)
      • 5 yr archive plan was finished and written up for NAASC proposal
      • Kelly Sharp is approaching proposed solution for joint ALMA/NRAO Helpdesk solution in kayako
      • Group planning a trip to Garching March 14-21 to see ESO archive and attend plone tutorial
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
    • NEW TASK: Project Tracker (PT)
    • EPO (J. Stoke)
    • Science User Outreach/Webpages (M. Adams/A.Evans)
      • Dong-Chan Kim will provide part-time support for science web starting very soon
      • Miami AAS meeting:
        • May 24-27 in Miami. NAASC attendees: CL, JH, AW, AR, HL, MA, AP.
        • Monday evening special session on Preparing for ALMA
        • Abstracts must be submitted by Feb 16
        • We need to collect abstracts and post. Need to promote
      • June Summer School June 8-15 in Socorro. NAASC effort being organized by AE. Planned activities:
        • Thursday (6/10): CB lecture on mm observing
        • Thursday evening (6/10): elective "Preparing for ALMA" and "Meet the NAASC" session
        • Friday (6/11): CASA tutorials. NAASC staff will support the EVLA high-frequency tutorial
        • Tuesday (6/15): elected sessions which will include another CASA tutorial including a CARMA mosaic example and simdata
        • Rachel & Crystal will prepare ALMA relevant CASA tutorials. Remy will prepare simdata tutorial. NAASC staff must train up on these before so they can support.
        • NAASC attendees: Crystal, Rachel, Todd, Adam, John, Aaron, Brian, Remy, Mark L., Tony, Kartik
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
      • Next workshop will be ALMA: Extending the Limits of Astrophysical Spectroscopy
      • Will be held in Victoria after Jan AAS in Seattle
      • Tony and Al will be co-SOC chairs, along with someone from ANASAC and people from NRC
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • A 'Science with ALMA Band 5' (163-211 GHz) workshop will take place May 24-25 in Rome.
      • Other Meetings are now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)

Additional Supporting Material

NAASC items submitted to JAO for February 2010 Monthly report

Hiring activities
  • Conducted interviews for NAASC science positions
  • Collecting applications for NAASC postdocs and administrative support
  • First NAASC Archive Technician started work; advertisement for second Archive Tech posted

JAO support
  • NA CSV Liaison K. Sheth continued tours at OSF
  • Co-authored and helped implement a CSV procedures/logistics plan
  • Investigated PM03 pointing
  • OT Designing / testing of scheduling blocks for astro-holography
  • Prepared presentation for and participated in AOPvE presentation for ALMA Directors Council Feb3-4
  • Attended AOPvE-WG-f2f-II in Santiago Feb 10-12
  • Provided casa simdata script to run through ALMA configurations, to evaluate AOPvE scenarios
  • Attended SciOpsIPT f2f in Santiago Feb 12
  • Participated in biweekly telcons for OT, Ph1M, PT, AOPvE, SciOpsIPT

Software Development & testing
  • Participated in OT testing
  • Deployed new NRAO helpdesk, including categories for ALMA and CASA; began helpdesk management with lessons-learned being applied to ALMA helpdesk solution
  • Continued CASA development, including significant improvements to the viewer (overplotting spectra, importing masks w/ channel and Stokes, task/tool levels regularized, etc.), plotms (velocity axes, scalar averaging, selectable multi-colors, etc.), and single-dish tasks
  • Continued CASA testing and setting development priorities, including discussions on polarization calibration and testing of CARMA filler and mosaicking
  • Worked on VLA, ATCA, and CARMA pathways through CASA
  • Continued work with UVa High performance computing collaboration to investigate CASA code optimization and parallelization
  • Updated casaguides wiki for release 3.0; tested casaguides script extractor
  • Placed order for four NGAS systems for NA ARC Mirror archive; began preparation of archive room
  • Generated 2 "offline" versions of splatalogue for use with CASA and the OT

Conferences and workshops
  • Worked on defining theme for next NAASC science workshop to be held Jan. 2011 in Victoria, BC
  • Submitted final proposal description, speaker list, and abstracts for "Preparing for ALMA" Special Session at next American Astronomical Society meeting (24 May 2010, Miami FL)
  • Updated 2010 American Astronomical Society meeting exhibition video for display at NSF/AST offices (Arlington, VA) and at AUI Board reception (Washington DC)
  • Attended the conference: "The high redshift Universe, a multiwavelength view" in Aspen, CO presenting poster on high-z science with ALMA
  • Gave colloquium at Boston University including ALMA status
  • Gave colloquium and "Getting Ready for ALMA" seminar at Univ. Kentucky, & distributed copies of the "ALMA Primer"
  • Gave science talk for AUI Board Meeting, including ALMA
  • Gave 5 talks at JAO, including one on professional development and career issues

Other
  • Preparation of NAASC funding proposal to NSF; presented draft to AUI Board
  • Participated in US Decadal Survey
  • Updated memo outlining science requirements for a future Band 7 quarter waveplate.
  • Continued work on ALMA "Virtual Site Tour" website

-- JohnHibbard - 2010-04-06
Topic revision: r2 - 2010-07-28, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback