This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2010Jan06

NAASC Organizational Meeting, Jan 06 2010

Contact Information

  • Call date: Wednesday, January 06, 2010
  • NO MEETING DUE TO AAS
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Locations: NEW! CV-ER230/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC
  • Connection for Video:
    • NEW! From NRAO select "CV-ER230"
    • NEW! hub ip=192.33.117.16
    • alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 192.33.117.17
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees - NO MEETING DUE TO AAS

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: Post FAQ for new hires
    • WHO: Shanika with input from Kartik, Mark L., Aaron, other recent hires
    • DUE: Jan 1, 2010
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Develop & deploy staff pages for the NAASC (http://science.nrao.edu/alma/ALMApeople/naascstaff.shtml)
    • WHO: Shanika/Aaron
    • DUE: preliminary page ready Nov13; new scope: include non-CV sites?
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Carol needs to decide how to incorporate all the different sites & advise Aaron/Shanika (CV/Soc/Tuc/NRC/Chile)
  • ACTION: Post Simdata walkthrough and 6 recipes
    • WHO: Remy
    • DUE: Jan03
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Send possible CSV support travel dates for CY2010 to JHibbard
    • WHO: Brogan, Hunter, Indebetouw, Mangum, Lacy, Liszt, Sci13-15
    • DUE: Nov 13
    • DONE: Sent to AP 12/4/2009
    • NOTES: see NAASC2Chile.

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION:
    • WHO:
    • DUE:
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Hibbard/Lonsdale)
    • AOP is being updated to VersE. JH racking up the miles working on this:
      • Jan 11-12: CIPT planning meeting in Socorro (related to testing/documentation/tutorials)
      • Jan 15 maintenance summary meeting in Charlottesville
      • Jan 19-22 AOPvE WG f2f meeting in Santiago (all text updated; draft maintenance concept presented; decision on what should be within "Executable" baseline and what should be "Scenarios" should be finalized by end of meeting; these will then be budgeted for Feb meeting)
      • Feb 3-4 meeting in Charlottesville for summary/status presentation to Directors Council
      • Feb 10-12 AOPvE WG f2f meeting in Santiago (draft maintenance plan and "executable" budget reviewed; Scenarios costed)
      • Feb 19-20 HoA f2f meeting in Santiago (full-up budget presented to Heads of Admin; JH will not attend; TM/GC/MP)
      • Feb 22-26 JH taking vacation (slacker)
      • Mar ??: Draft AOPvE due to Board
    • Draft of NAASC plan is out to NRAO "Observatory Science Council" and to ANASAC. Draft due to AUI by Mar 5
    • Tony is in Manchester for "High resolution imaging" workshop

  • NRC News (Schieven)

  • ANASAC (AWootten)
    • Report distributed to Lo and Lonsdale. Needs response.
    • Last telecon held on Nov20. Agenda

  • Main Event:
    • None. We are at AAS

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Pipeline (from eSSR wiki)
      • User Test 6 (UT6) is on schedule to start in mid Jan2010. UT6 is the primary focus for pipeline testing right now. Pretesting (done by the developer) is expected to finish up this month (this is a critical step in test preparation). The test scope includes calibration, imaging improvements, small mosaics, and will involve outside users. There may be 6-8 testers (very preliminary number). There has also been significant changes to the user documentation, which will certainly result in user feedback to improve it.
      • NAASC testers: Official - Rachel, Crystal. Unofficial - John, Brenda, Kartik. JH: ask Ed Fomalont
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Public release (R3.0) is out
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
      • OT "Auto-Deployed" version. Can be used now to get experience with OT, but its a very unstable version and not always available
      • User test being planned to start mid January. Should take ~2 weeks. We have to get many people to take part, and coordinate feedback through Harvey. Planned testers: HL, RF, CB, ML, RI
      • Beta release April 2010.
    • Technical Assessment WG (Harvey, Todd, Jeff, Crystal):
      • Harvey sent out two email on this; recipients should provide feedback to him
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
      • Remy gave walkthrough demonstration on Nov 19 to an international viewership, followed by discussion of future priorities. REMY SHOULD POST HIS PPT PRESENTATION. Incorporated some material into http://casaguides.nrao.edu
      • Jan 11/12 CV: implementation workshop - more detailed tutorials on working with simdata and Simulator, work on web interface (EU), discussion of atmospheric corruption with Bojan, etc.
      • Early science configs will be delivered in 3.0 - updated examples are being posted at the https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/SimulatorCookbook wiki
    • ALMA Archive (Mark L)
      • 5 yr archive plan...
      • UP developer hired; DBA, Archive Tech jobs being defined
      • Group planning a trip to Garching early next year
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
      • f2f meeting with Brian (JPL), Jeff (AVO), & Doug Tody (NRAO-VO) took place Dec 3-4. Results:
    • EPO (J. Stoke)
    • Science User Outreach/Webpages (M. Adams/A.Evans)
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
      • Topic and timescale for next meeting was discussed by ANASAC. They want one in Fall in CV.
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • A 'Science with ALMA Band 5' (163-211 GHz) workshop will take place in March in Rome.
      • Other Meetings are now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)

Additional Supporting Material

NAASC items submitted to JAO for December Monthly report

Hiring activities
  • Conducted job interviews for Commissioning Scientist and NAASC scientific staff positions

JAO support
  • Participated in single dish CASA workshop in Santiago
  • CSV Liaison Support by K. Sheth continued, including presentation on combining single dish & interferometry data at SD CASA workshop and implementing the R7.0 computing acceptance matrix
  • Attended f2f meeting of ALMA Operations Plan at OSF Dec 7-11; provided updates to Secs. 3, 4, 11 & 12 of AOP
  • Schedule of next 6mo of CSV support sent to Deputy Project Manager
  • Worked on holographic antenna surface measurements and antenna pointing
  • ALMA Science IPT telecon was held
  • Provided science support to ASAC
  • Discussed ancillary calibration device stations at the AOS

Software Development & testing
  • Finished work on CASA 2-D Gaussian fitting User Interface
  • Issued CASA public release R3.0
  • Started planning for next set of CASA development targets, including high-performance computing
  • Organized ALMA simulator developer workshop to be held Jan 2010
  • Participated in CASA Viewer development focus group
  • Completed CASAguides entry for reduction of CARMA data
  • Consulted on draft TA guidelines and report forms with NAASC staff and the ObsPrep team
  • Collated results and re-designed the report forms in preparation for the next Ph1M telecon
  • Continued OTF testing of the OT, reporting results to the participants of the monthly OT telecon
  • Held a meeting to discuss the VO compliance of molecular line catalogs, and provided VO SLAP service for use with appropriately structured databases

Conferences and workshops
  • Produced four posters for the 215th meeting of the American Astronomical Society (Jan 2010, Washington DC, USA)
  • Developed material for use at January AAS Meeting, including quick reference guide for ALMA, video, ALMA fact-sheet, updated Canadian-generated "ALMA Primer"

Other
  • Completed redesign, content, and deployment of NAASC science user website
  • Refined NAASC 2012-2015 proposal to NSF and sent to ANASAC for comment
  • Developed material to aid in simulations of SZ observations
  • Published ALMA article in NRAO eNews
  • Participated in US Astro2010 Decadal panels

-- JohnHibbard - 2010-02-05

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2010Jan06
Topic revision: 2010-02-06, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback