Table of Contents


These minutes are available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2009May06

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday May 06, 2009 1-2:30pm ET (1700-1830UT), CV-ER209/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC:

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2009-05-06 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Connection for Video:
    • From NRAO select "Conf Hub IVR"
    • hub ip=192.33.117.12
    • alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 192.33.117.17
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: JH, CB, RI, DJ (NRC), HL, TH, AR, JM, BK
  • Soc: BG, SM
  • GB:
  • Canada: GS, JDF
  • Tuc:
  • JAO: AP, RH, AH, DB, JC

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams/J. Stoke
    • DUE: Dec 15 -> early 2009
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: reassigned to J. Stoke
  • ACTION: Remove http://www.alma.nrao.edu/ when relevant material identified by AWootten is posted elsewhere.
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE:
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Collate NAASC-relevant items from VC, UC, ANASAC, ASAC, Milkey reports & post
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 12/05/08
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Follow up with UMd on SOW for Casa Carma filler/pathway
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Visit by P.Teuben Feb5 & Apr29. Pinged Mundy Apr22. Project moving ahead, but do need to finish SOW
  • ACTION: have Tuesday meeting to decide if we should use google calendars for work schedules
    • WHO: CLonsdale/JHibbard
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: post AAS demos someplace (simulator, obstool, splatalogue).
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Being incorporated into new NAASC webpages
  • ACTION: Run proposed ALMA proposal science categories by other observatories, including Neil Reid @ STScI, Lisa S-L at Spitzer
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: By May s/w review
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Announce NAASC workshop; get website up and poster out
  • ACTION: notify NAASC staff what model we adopt for ETK
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: 4/02/09
    • DONE: 5/6/09
    • NOTES: use % reporting
  • ACTION: Work with project to make sure time for training, tutorials, documentation is worked into s/w delivery schedules

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION:
    • WHO:
    • DUE:
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • Project News (APeck/RHills)

  • NAASC News (Hibbard/Lonsdale)
    • Carol is coming back from Socorro, where she gave 3 presentations to the Users Committee.
    • Carol & JohnH went to Garching for SciOpsIPT f2f and meeting with OBSPREP/OBOPS/ARCHIVE s/w groups. Very informative.
      • Provided great input for Ops s/w requirements review, to be held June 1-2 in Santiago (see Main Event).
      • Refined PRC process & provided updated ppt to Carol. Carol expanded upon this & produced document for Fred. Its in his court now.
      • Revised s/w testing timeline. See attached pdf
      • Next test: ARCs will submit phase 1 proposals for DSRPs (and projects of their choosing) using proto-OT/archive set-up. Scheduled for May-June; will keep you posted.
    • QR report submitted (will post when available).
    • PEP process is on-going. Next: iteration on employee submissions, then meetings set up.
    • ETK must be used this month - everyone should use % reporting.
    • Musical offices: JH has moved downstairs next to Todd (Room 251). Dave Mehringer will take JH's old office - DM starts May 18.
    • Mark Lacy from SSC will join in September
    • Kartik Sheth from SSC will join in October
    • Tony Remijan goes for first CSV shift in Chile Aug 15- Nov 15. After that we anticipate James Di Francesco for a short trip. Need to arrange coverage after that.
    • Update on support for Taiwan meeting?
    • Frank Lovas & Doug Johnstone are visiting this week

  • NRC News (Schieven)
    • Doug Johnstone is visiting this from 5/4 - 5/14. Sitting in room 316 (next to Sheila). Here to exercise the ALMA Simulator using simulation data that he has.
    • Doug Johnstone sent around a draft "ALMA primer" to a subgroup - please talk to Doug about any other input this week.
    • Schedule for NRC ALMA workshop is posted at end of agenda. ~50 participants & speakers. Will include CASA tutorial, Splatalogue Demo, OT demo, and something on almasimmos.

  • Main Event: Preparations for Operations S/W Review, which will be held June 1-2 in Santiago

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Pipeline (Harvey, Steve)
      • UT5 (regression test, single dish heuristics) . Only C. Wilson is participating in this. Dates?
      • UT6 tentatively scheduled early 2009. Scope includes calibration and imaging improvements
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Crystal gave tutorial in Chile to AIV/CSV staff.
      • Next release (2.4) freeze scheduled for April 1, release June 1.
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
      • Andy Biggs (EU ARC) replaces L. Testi as subsystem test scientist for OT.
      • Internal test occurred at ATF before shut down on Dec20. Andy, Deb, Leonardo, Alan Bridger
      • NAASC held internal meeting 2/17 to discuss ObsPrep phase I, in preparation to telecon on 2/19. Emphasis is on identifying missing requirements and refining operational process.
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
    • ALMA Archive (Carol)
      • New attempt at "one-stop" wiki at NaascArchive
      • UT2 planned for Feb09. New date?
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
      • Tony to report on recent efforts
    • Webpages (Aaron)
      • JStoke made changes to naasc.nrao.edu and asked for feedback. How to proceed?
    • EPO (John S.)
      • We can move ahead with planned hires (web content manager, multimedia design specialist)
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution June 8-12 2009 ASIAA
      • Canadian "Preparing for ALMA" meeting (details?)
      • Other Meetings of now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)
      • Doug Johnstone May 4-14
      • Frank Lovas May 4-
      • Yancy Shirley May 7
      • Andrew Markwick May 25-29
      • Michelle Thornley & Jack Gallimore July 2009

Additional Supporting Material

Schedule for Canadian workshop "Preparing for ALMA: from Science to Observations"

********************************************************
** Preparing for ALMA: from Science to Observations  ***
********************************************************

First Day (June 1)
==================

08:30 am - 09:20 am:  Welcome and ALMA Update: Chris Wilson 
09:20 am - 10:50 am: Basic Radio Astronomy: Sean Dougherty 
10:50 am - 11:10 am: COFFEE
11:10 am - 12:40 am: Basics of Interferometry and Interferometry Calibration: Claire Chandler
12:40 am - 02:00 pm: LUNCH
02:00 pm - 03:30 pm: Imaging and Deconvolution: David Wilner 
03:30 pm - 04:00 pm: COFFEE
04:00 pm - 05:00 pm: From Idea to ALMA Project: James di Francesco
05:00 pm - 05:30 pm:  Questions, Discussion, Homework 


Second Day (June 2)
===================

09:00 am - 10:15 am: Calibrating Data with CASA: George Moellenbrock
10:15 am - 10:45 am: COFFEE
10:45 am - 12:00 am: Making Images with CASA: Crystal Brogan
12:00 am - 02:00 pm: LUNCH
02:00 pm - 03:15 pm: Testing Science Ideas with the ALMA Simulator: Remy Indebetouw
03:15 pm - 03:45 pm: COFFEE
03:45 pm - 04:15 pm: SPLATALOGUE: Tony Remijan 
04:15 pm - 04:45 pm: ALMA Helpdesk Support: Gerald Schieven
04:45 pm - 05:30 pm: Questions, Discussion, Homework 


Third Day (June 3)
==================

9:00 am - 5 pm: Hands-on with ALMA software
(with two coffee breaks and a lunch break)

-- JohnHibbard - 2009-05-05
Topic attachments
I Attachment Action SizeSorted ascending Date Who Comment
ops_sw_timeline.pdfpdf ops_sw_timeline.pdf manage 56 K 2009-05-05 - 15:13 JohnHibbard Testing timeline from Garching f2f meeting
Topic revision: r2 - 2009-05-29, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback