Table of Contents
These minutes are available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2009May06
NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday May 06, 2009 1-2:30pm ET (1700-1830UT), CV-ER209/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC:
- Call date: 2009-05-06 (Wednesday)
- Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
- Duration: 1.5 hr
- Connection for Video:
- From NRAO select "Conf Hub IVR"
- hub ip=188.8.131.52
- alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 184.108.40.206
- Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
- USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
- Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
- Passcode: 8445333#
- Leader: Hibbard
- CV: JH, CB, RI, DJ (NRC), HL, TH, AR, JM, BK
- Soc: BG, SM
- Canada: GS, JDF
- JAO: AP, RH, AH, DB, JC
Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)
- ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
- WHO: M.Adams/J. Stoke
- DUE: Dec 15 -> early 2009
- NOTES: reassigned to J. Stoke
- ACTION: Remove http://www.alma.nrao.edu/ when relevant material identified by AWootten is posted elsewhere.
- ACTION: Collate NAASC-relevant items from VC, UC, ANASAC, ASAC, Milkey reports & post
- WHO: JHibbard
- DUE: 12/05/08
- ACTION: Follow up with UMd on SOW for Casa Carma filler/pathway
- WHO: JHibbard
- DUE: 1/07/09
- NOTES: Visit by P.Teuben Feb5 & Apr29. Pinged Mundy Apr22. Project moving ahead, but do need to finish SOW
- ACTION: have Tuesday meeting to decide if we should use google calendars for work schedules
- WHO: CLonsdale/JHibbard
- DUE: ASAP
- ACTION: post AAS demos someplace (simulator, obstool, splatalogue).
- WHO: JStoke
- DUE: ASAP
- NOTES: Being incorporated into new NAASC webpages
- ACTION: Run proposed ALMA proposal science categories by other observatories, including Neil Reid @ STScI, Lisa S-L at Spitzer
- WHO: JHibbard
- DUE: By May s/w review
- ACTION: Announce NAASC workshop; get website up and poster out
- ACTION: notify NAASC staff what model we adopt for ETK
- WHO: CLonsdale
- DUE: 4/02/09
- DONE: 5/6/09
- NOTES: use % reporting
- ACTION: Work with project to make sure time for training, tutorials, documentation is worked into s/w delivery schedules
Action Items from this meeting:
- Project News (APeck/RHills)
- NAASC News (Hibbard/Lonsdale)
- Carol is coming back from Socorro, where she gave 3 presentations to the Users Committee.
- Carol & JohnH went to Garching for SciOpsIPT f2f and meeting with OBSPREP/OBOPS/ARCHIVE s/w groups. Very informative.
- Provided great input for Ops s/w requirements review, to be held June 1-2 in Santiago (see Main Event).
- Refined PRC process & provided updated ppt to Carol. Carol expanded upon this & produced document for Fred. Its in his court now.
- Revised s/w testing timeline. See attached pdf
- Next test: ARCs will submit phase 1 proposals for DSRPs (and projects of their choosing) using proto-OT/archive set-up. Scheduled for May-June; will keep you posted.
- QR report submitted (will post when available).
- PEP process is on-going. Next: iteration on employee submissions, then meetings set up.
- ETK must be used this month - everyone should use % reporting.
- Musical offices: JH has moved downstairs next to Todd (Room 251). Dave Mehringer will take JH's old office - DM starts May 18.
- Mark Lacy from SSC will join in September
- Kartik Sheth from SSC will join in October
- Tony Remijan goes for first CSV shift in Chile Aug 15- Nov 15. After that we anticipate James Di Francesco for a short trip. Need to arrange coverage after that.
- Update on support for Taiwan meeting?
- Frank Lovas & Doug Johnstone are visiting this week
- NRC News (Schieven)
- Doug Johnstone is visiting this from 5/4 - 5/14. Sitting in room 316 (next to Sheila). Here to exercise the ALMA Simulator using simulation data that he has.
- Doug Johnstone sent around a draft "ALMA primer" to a subgroup - please talk to Doug about any other input this week.
- Schedule for NRC ALMA workshop is posted at end of agenda. ~50 participants & speakers. Will include CASA tutorial, Splatalogue Demo, OT demo, and something on almasimmos.
- Main Event: Preparations for Operations S/W Review, which will be held June 1-2 in Santiago
- Reports from Working Groups
- Pipeline (Harvey, Steve)
- UT5 (regression test, single dish heuristics) . Only C. Wilson is participating in this. Dates?
- UT6 tentatively scheduled early 2009. Scope includes calibration and imaging improvements
- CASA (Crystal)
- Crystal gave tutorial in Chile to AIV/CSV staff.
- Next release (2.4) freeze scheduled for April 1, release June 1.
- ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
- Andy Biggs (EU ARC) replaces L. Testi as subsystem test scientist for OT.
- Internal test occurred at ATF before shut down on Dec20. Andy, Deb, Leonardo, Alan Bridger
- NAASC held internal meeting 2/17 to discuss ObsPrep phase I, in preparation to telecon on 2/19. Emphasis is on identifying missing requirements and refining operational process.
- Casapy simulator (Remy)
- ALMA Archive (Carol)
- New attempt at "one-stop" wiki at NaascArchive
- UT2 planned for Feb09. New date?
- Splatalogue (Tony)
- Tony to report on recent efforts
- Webpages (Aaron)
- JStoke made changes to naasc.nrao.edu and asked for feedback. How to proceed?
- EPO (John S.)
- We can move ahead with planned hires (web content manager, multimedia design specialist)
- NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
- Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
- Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution June 8-12 2009 ASIAA
- Canadian "Preparing for ALMA" meeting (details?)
- Other Meetings of now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
- Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)
- Doug Johnstone May 4-14
- Frank Lovas May 4-
- Yancy Shirley May 7
- Andrew Markwick May 25-29
- Michelle Thornley & Jack Gallimore July 2009
Additional Supporting Material
Schedule for Canadian workshop "Preparing for ALMA: from Science to Observations"
** Preparing for ALMA: from Science to Observations ***
First Day (June 1)
08:30 am - 09:20 am: Welcome and ALMA Update: Chris Wilson
09:20 am - 10:50 am: Basic Radio Astronomy: Sean Dougherty
10:50 am - 11:10 am: COFFEE
11:10 am - 12:40 am: Basics of Interferometry and Interferometry Calibration: Claire Chandler
12:40 am - 02:00 pm: LUNCH
02:00 pm - 03:30 pm: Imaging and Deconvolution: David Wilner
03:30 pm - 04:00 pm: COFFEE
04:00 pm - 05:00 pm: From Idea to ALMA Project: James di Francesco
05:00 pm - 05:30 pm: Questions, Discussion, Homework
Second Day (June 2)
09:00 am - 10:15 am: Calibrating Data with CASA: George Moellenbrock
10:15 am - 10:45 am: COFFEE
10:45 am - 12:00 am: Making Images with CASA: Crystal Brogan
12:00 am - 02:00 pm: LUNCH
02:00 pm - 03:15 pm: Testing Science Ideas with the ALMA Simulator: Remy Indebetouw
03:15 pm - 03:45 pm: COFFEE
03:45 pm - 04:15 pm: SPLATALOGUE: Tony Remijan
04:15 pm - 04:45 pm: ALMA Helpdesk Support: Gerald Schieven
04:45 pm - 05:30 pm: Questions, Discussion, Homework
Third Day (June 3)
9:00 am - 5 pm: Hands-on with ALMA software
(with two coffee breaks and a lunch break)