Table of Contents


This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2009Aug05

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Aug 05, 2009 1-2:30pm ET (1700-1830UT), CV-ER209/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)/JAO-Alsacia/JAO-OSF(Science)/NRC:

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2009-07-01 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Connection for Video:
    • From NRAO select "Conf Hub IVR"
    • hub ip=192.33.117.12
    • alternative ip for Chile only, if above drops: 192.33.117.17
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: JH, AR, JM, AW, BK. Phone: CB, CL, TH
  • Soc: BG, SM
  • GB:
  • Canada: GS, DJ, JdF
  • Tuc:
  • JAO: RH
  • Other:

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: Remove http://www.alma.nrao.edu/ when relevant material identified by AWootten is posted elsewhere.
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE:
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Follow up with UMd on SOW for Casa Carma filler/pathway
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Visit by P.Teuben Feb5 & Apr29. Pinged Mundy Apr22. M.Thornley will discuss during visit to UMd early August.
  • ACTION: have Tuesday meeting to decide if we should use google calendars for work schedules
    • WHO: CLonsdale/JHibbard
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: post AAS demos someplace (simulator, obstool, splatalogue).
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Being incorporated into new NAASC webpages
  • ACTION: Run proposed ALMA proposal science categories by other observatories, including Neil Reid @ STScI, Lisa S-L at Spitzer
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: By May s/w review
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams/J. Stoke
    • DUE: Dec 15 -> early 2009
    • DONE: Removed as action item 8/6/09
    • NOTES: Will be incorporated in next years' NAASC proposal to NSF.
  • ACTION: Collate NAASC-relevant items from VC, UC, ANASAC, ASAC, Milkey reports & post
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 12/05/08
    • DONE: Removed as action item 8/6/09
    • NOTES: documents are available for any to read; no strong reason to collate

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION: Send possible CSV support travel dates for CY2010 to JHibbard
    • WHO: Brogan, Hunter, Indebetouw, Mangum, Lacy, Sci13-15
    • DUE: November 21, 2009
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Convene search committees and get job ads written & posted
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: Soon
    • DONE: 8/15/2009
  • ACTION: Attach ALMA_Construction_Milestones.pdf: Board-approved ALMA Construction Milestones
    • WHO: AWootten
    • DUE: 8/5/2009
    • DONE: 8/5/2009
  • ACTION: Ask RH for configuration files for ES array(s), for use in alma simulator
    • WHO: Crystal
    • DUE: 9/2/2009
    • DONE: 8/6/2009 (now is in Remy's court to incorporate into alma simulator)
  • ACTION: Agenda for ANASAC f2f meeting; set up video. Ask AP to give presentation?
    • WHO: AWootten
    • DUE:
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • Project News (APeck/RHills)
    • Review of CSV Sept 2-3 at OSF. For NAm, Tony R. & Al will attend. JH & CB would like to attend via video
    • Next cadre of Ops astronomers being recruited. Interviews held. Expect ~3 offers.
    • Also recruiting Commissioning Scientists (~4-6)
    • Status Report
    • ASAC Matters.
      • Next meeting Garching proposed 13-15 Oct
    • AIV Status
    • ALMA Biweekly Calendar

  • NAASC News (Hibbard/Lonsdale)
    • Mark Lacy & Kartik visited in the past few weeks
    • Rachel Friesen is visiting. Will start 1st week of sept
    • Crystal attended Early ALMA Science workshop on Disks and the Epoch of Planet Formation; 20-21 Jul CfA
      • They are very interested in ES array configs & correlator modes, and milestones
      • RHills has new "official" board-approved milestones (many dates removed). AI on AW to post board-approved milestones
      • AI on CB to remind RH to send configuration file of ES array(s) for use with almasimmos
    • Recent reports (will post when they become available):
      • Long Range Plan (2011-2015)
      • 2009Q3 Quarterly Report
      • FY2010 Program Plan
    • SciOpsIPT f2f meeting this weekend (Aug 9-11) in Green Bank. Carol, John H. & Gerald will attend. Will review drafts of DSO & ARC Implementation plans (see main topic)
    • ARC trips to Chile in support of CSV start this month
      • Tony: Aug 15-Nov 13
      • James diF: Nov
      • Kartik: Nov 21-Apr 5, 2010
      • Tony: April 2010; Aug-Nov 2010
      • *AI: All other NAASC staff should send their preferred months/months they cannot go in CY2010 to JHibbard by November*.
      • Tony Remijan is working on FAQ; will distribute soon
      • Any questions for Alison, if she is available today?
    • Fall will be a VERY BIG hiring push for NAASC - at least 3 astronomers, splatalogue postdoc, multiple Data Analysts, EPO support, Archive support. AI on Carol: Search committees need to be set up & convened in order to refine ads.

  • NRC News (Schieven)
    • Gerald traveled to NAASC July 12-17 for ALMA review. Will go to GB Aug 9-11 for SciOpsIPT f2f meeting.
    • Gerald produced proposed "in-kind" contribution for CY2010. CL & JH approved with very minor modifications
    • Doug is finishing up band 1 science document. Needs weather stats from RH/AW.

  • ANASAC (AWootten)
    • Last telecon was held April 17 Agenda
    • f23 meeting Sep 25-26 in CV. Need agenda & video link set up AI on AW. Possible items:
      • Alison will be available, if we want her to give them a CSV report (JH suggests: SV process; ES modes)
      • Something on Development
      • Have Remy to alma simos demo?
      • Jack Gallimore's mediawiki pages for casa use cases?

  • Main Event: Science Operations Implementation Review
    • Santiago, September 29-30, 2009
    • External review of DSO & ARC Implementation Plans
    • Table of Contents of plans is posted at end of this agenda
    • drafts of plans being reviewed this weekend at SciOpsIPT f2f meeting
    • expect to use many of you to help review/clairify these in coming weeks.
    • Final drafts due Sept 7

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Pipeline ()
      • UT6 is in the planning stages. Scope includes calibration and imaging improvements, possibly small mosaics. Will involve outside users. Testers should be identified by June, with the hope that the test will start early in July
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Next release (3.0) will be December. This is a VERY IMPORTANT release, as it will be the version used for EVLA early science. Will need LOTS of real-world testing.
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
      • Incorporating ATM models, ATM-like corruption.
    • ALMA Archive (Carol)
      • Defining 3 hires that will be posted ASAP - applications developer, DBA, Archive Tech.
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
      • API for splatalogue was due to be released July. Status? - Not ready yet
      • "From Data Cubes to Science: ancillary data and advanced tools for ALMA" meeting is being planned for Oct 5-7 in Cologn. CB, AW, AR will attend. Should have a discussion at this meeting about what the proper subset of spectral lines that should be included in CASA & Obstool for offline use (email from CIPT). Is that on the agenda?
    • EPO (J. Stoke)
      • image/media archive s/w will be demo'd. Could be used for all ALMA
    • Science User Outreach/Webpages (M. Adams/A.Evans)
      • Interviewing for Web Content Manager; will concentrate on someone with astronomy background
      • Aaron is working on level 2 science pages. These need to be coordinated with EVLA.
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
      • 200 pre-registrants
      • N~175 at Omni, Sept 21-25 2009.
      • Webpage and registration are live: http://www.nrao.edu/meetings/galaxies09/. Science program finalized & registration open
      • NOTE!! Unlike past meeting, NRAO and UVa people will not be automatically registered. So if you plan to attend, you will need to register when general registration opens (Friday, Aug 7). Also note - more pre-registrants than spaces available, so if you don't register, you may not get a space
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • Other Meetings are now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
      • Early Science with the LMT. UMass 28 Aug
      • Future of the SMA in the ALMA Era CfA 8-9 Sep
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)
      • Michelle Thornley & Jack Gallimore are here for a year
      • Kumar Golap all next week

Additional Supporting Material

Review of the ALMA Science Operations Implementation Plans, Santiago, Sept 29-30 2009

Here is the TOC for Science Operations:

  • Proposal submission and CfP
  • Web pages and user portal
  • PRC support
  • Scheduling and Array configurations
  • Array Operations:
    • Operators (Shiftlog, problem reporting, meetings, information flow)
    • AOD (QA etc.) including ARC staff
  • Archive Operations
  • Pipeline Operations, QA, Calibration database/monitoring
  • Collaborations/interaction with ARCs
  • Collaborations/interaction with DTS. As function of time
  • Collaborations/interaction with AIV/CSV. As function of time
  • DSO staff: hiring, ramp-up plan, training, communication and reporting, shifts and shift overlaps
  • Hardware requirements and testing
  • Software
    • Software requirements and user tests
    • Software version control
    • Offsite computing support/development
  • Early Science Operations
    • What has to be ready? Minimum and goal
    • How do we share the time with CSV? and how do we operate during Early Science
    • Plan B?
  • Full operations
    • What has to be ready? Minimum and goal
    • Plan B?
  • A day (and year) in the life of an Array Operator
  • A day (and year) in the life of an AoD
  • A day (and year) in the life of and Archive Manager/Operator
  • A day in the life of the observatory
  • A year in the life of the observatory
  • Life of an observing project

ARC Implementation Plans
  • For each:
    • user portal, helpdesk support,
    • training/tutorials/schools/workshops,
    • AoD, f2f support, mirror archive,
    • interaction w/any regional partners, etc)
  • EU ARC Implementation Plan
  • NA ARC Implementation Plan
  • EA ARC Implementation Plan
  • ARC Joint Activities
    • Calls for Proposals broadcasting
    • Proposal support/technical assessments
    • Internal Communication Plan: joint training (Archive, Pipeline, User Portal);SciOps IPT
    • Shared expertise (L3); Guidelines for USS and triage
    • Joint pipeline for reprocessing
    • Pipeline heuristics
    • Software testing and timeline
    • End-user documentation
    • Functional assignments/leads
    • Exchange programme/Joint training
    • Science workshops
    • Advanced tool development
    • VO development
    • Spectral line (and other?) catalogues
    • Coordinated Outreach materials, training media
    • Reports to the JAO

-- JohnHibbard - 2009-03-31

-- JohnHibbard - 2009-09-01

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2009Aug05
Topic revision: 2009-09-01, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback