This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2009Apr01

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Apr 01, 2009 1-2:30pm ET (1800-1930UT), CV-ER209/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2):

Meeting Information

  • No meeting today; just agenda

Attendees

  • CV:
  • Soc:
  • GB:
  • Canada:
  • Tuc:
  • JAO:

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams/J. Stoke
    • DUE: Dec 15 -> early 2009
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: reassigned to J. Stoke
  • ACTION: Remove http://www.alma.nrao.edu/ when relevant material identified by AWootten is posted elsewhere.
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE:
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Collate NAASC-relevant items from VC, UC, ANASAC, ASAC, Milkey reports & post
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 12/05/08
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Follow up with UMd on SOW for Casa Carma filler/pathway
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Visit by P.Teuben 2/5/2009. Project moving ahead, but do need to finish SOW
  • ACTION: Announce NAASC workshop; get website up and poster out
    • WHO: A. Evans
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: have Tuesday meeting to decide if we should use google calendars for work schedules
    • WHO: CLonsdale/JHibbard
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: post AAS demos someplace (simulator, obstool, splatalogue).
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE: ASAP
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Being incorporated into new NAASC webpages
  • ACTION: Work with project to make sure time for training, tutorials, documentation is worked into s/w delivery schedules
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: By May s/w review
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Being worked on in Garching Mar28-Apr2
  • ACTION: Run proposed ALMA proposal science categories by other observatories, including Neil Reid @ STScI, Lisa S-L at Spitzer
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: By May s/w review
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: notify NAASC staff what model we adopt for ETK
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: 4/02/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: meet with MPilleux to discuss ARC-to-Chile logistic support
    • WHO: JHibbard/ARemijan
    • DUE: 4/02/09
    • DONE: 3/26/2009
  • ACTION: identify NA participants for ops s/w review

Action Items from this meeting:
  • ACTION:
    • WHO:
    • DUE:
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (AWootten in lieu of Hibbard/Lonsdale)
    • Carol & JohnH are in Garching for SciOpsIPT f2f and meeting with OBSPREP/OBOPS/ARCHIVE s/w groups
    • Discussing procedure for ARC support of CSV with project. Will report on separately.
    • SciOpsIPT working on Ops s/w requirements review is defined. Email to participants will go out within ~week. Wiki set up on eSSR wiki: http://almasw.hq.eso.org/almasw/bin/view/SSR/RequirementsReview
    • Input to quarterly report are due to Carol by this Friday

  • NRC News (Schieven)
    • Henry Matthews came to Charlottesville Mar 15-21 to discuss NAASC science user outreach.
    • Doug Johnston sent around a draft "ALMA primer" to a subgroup - please respond.

  • ANASAC (CLonsdale)
    • Last telecon was held Jan 23. Details available on the telecon agenda, including new charges to the ANASAC.
    • Next telecon: April 17

  • Main Event: None today

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Pipeline (Harvey)
      • UT5 (regression test, single dish heuristics) . Only C. Wilson is participating in this. Dates?
      • UT6 tentatively scheduled early 2009. Scope includes calibration and imaging improvements
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Crystal gave tutorial in Chile to AIV/CSV staff.
      • Next release (2.4) freeze scheduled for April 1, release June 1.
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
      • Andy Biggs (EU ARC) replaces L. Testi as subsystem test scientist for OT.
      • Internal test occurred at ATF before shut down on Dec20. Andy, Deb, Leonardo, Alan Bridger
      • NAASC held internal meeting 2/17 to discuss ObsPrep phase I, in preparation to telecon on 2/19. Emphasis is on identifying missing requirements and refining operational process.
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
    • ALMA Archive (Carol)
      • New attempt at "one-stop" wiki at NaascArchive
      • UT2 planned for Feb09. New date?
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
      • Tony to report on recent efforts
    • Webpages (Aaron)
      • JStoke made changes to naasc.nrao.edu and asked for feedback. How to proceed?
    • EPO (John S.)
      • We can move ahead with planned hires (web content manager, multimedia design specialist)
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
      • Scope has been refined - see "Additional Supporting Material"
      • N~150 at Omni, Sept 21-25 2009.
      • Who is on SOC? Post to front NRAO Webpage? Poster? Wiki setup? (see AI above)
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution June 8-12 2009 ASIAA
      • Canadian "Preparing for ALMA" meeting (details?)
      • Other Meetings of now listed on the google ALMA Science Meetings calendar
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors (see google calendar NAASC Visitors)
      • Darek Lis April 2
      • Tim Heckman April 9
      • Yancy Shirley May 7
      • Andrew Markwick-Kemper May 25-29
      • Michelle Thornley & Jack Gallimore July 2009

Additional Supporting Material

Description of September NAASC workshop:

"Assembly, Gas Content and Star Formation History of Galaxies"

In the last two decades, the availability of large ground-based and space-based facilities, and improved theoretical modeling, have led to significant advances in our understanding of star formation, the gas cycle in galaxies, and galaxy assembly and evolution over cosmic time. With the next generation of long-wavelength ground- and space-based facilities set to become fully operational in the first half of the coming decade, the time is ripe to review the theoretical and observational progress that has been made in the areas of extragalactic star formation, interstellar gas properties and galaxy assembly, and to assess where science with facilities such as ALMA, EVLA, Herschel Space Telescope, and the JWST are likely to contribute transformational understanding in these areas. Keys issues to be addressed are -
  • gas scaling relations and diagnostics of the star formation rate at low and high redshift
  • advances in the theory and modeling of star formation on small and large scales
  • the role of feedback from stellar winds, SNe and AGN in regulating star formation
  • the role of accretion and mergers in driving galactic evolution
  • the synergy of JWST, ALMA, SKA, etc. in addressing fundamental problems in SF in the next decade

SOC:
  • Lee Armus
  • Andrew Blain
  • Daniela Calzetti
  • Chris Carilli
  • Aaron Evans (chair)
  • Mike Fall
  • Tim Heckman
  • Shardha Jogee
  • Carol Lonsdale
  • Brian Kent
  • Xavier Prochaska
  • David Sanders
  • Hsien Shang
  • Christine Wilson

-- JohnHibbard - 2009-04-06

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2009Apr01
Topic revision: 2009-04-06, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback