This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2008Jan02

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Jan 2, 1-2:30pm ET (1800-1930UT), CV-ER311/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2008-01-02 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: JH, JM, RR, RI, CB
  • Soc: CC
  • GB:
  • ATF:
  • Canada:
  • SCO:

Action Items from past meetings

  • ACTION: Contact all job applicants and let them know deadline has been extended
    • WHO: Carilli/Brogan
    • DUE: Dec 10
    • DONE: Brogan: Dec 6.
  • ACTION: Revive ALMA EPO Program Officer job search
    • WHO: Carilli/Adams
    • DUE: Dec 15
    • DONE: revised ad 12/17. Posted in Jan AAS. Still need to target specific individuals
  • ACTION: send targeted emails about NAASC jobs
    • WHO: Carilli/Hibbard/Brogan/Adams
    • DUE: Dec 15
    • DONE: Dec 18
    • NOTES: to almanews (JH), SMA (CB), carma (CB) mailing lists + targeted individuals (CC, MA). Still need to target specific individuals
  • ACTION: Iterate with NRC on Canadian MOU
    • WHO: Carilli/di Francesco
    • DUE: on-going
    • DONE: on-going
    • NOTES: In AUI's hands
  • ACTION: add links to ATF calendars to NAASC wikis/webpages
    • WHO: Hibbard
    • DUE: Jan 2
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Write revised NAASC proposal: budget methodology; changes from Washington review
    • WHO: Hibbard
    • DUE: Jan-30
    • DONE: New budget done 11/13.
  • ACTION: Review NAASC webpage you are responsible for (see assignments) prior to monthly NAASC Org. Meeting
    • WHO: Everyone
    • DUE: prior to meeting
    • DONE:

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION: send targeted emails about NAASC jobs
    • WHO: Carilli/Hibbard/Brogan/Adams
    • DUE: Jan 31
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Sent to mailing lists. Still need to target specific individuals.
  • ACTION: Take fliers/posters of NRAO ads to AAS to put in peoples hands (at booth, NRAO Town Meeting, etc)
    • WHO: CC & Exec ADs
    • DUE: Jan 6
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Chris will bring up at Fridays Town Hall telecon
  • ACTION: Do ANASAC agenda; post charges
    • WHO: CC
    • DUE: Jan 15
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: ANASAC telecon Jan 18. ASAC meeting Feb 1-2
  • ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams
    • DUE: Dec 15
    • DONE:
    • NOTES:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Carilli/Hibbard)
    • NAASC staffing. Open jobs: listed on NRAO employeement page and front of NAASC homepage (along with links to ESO and JAO ALMA positions):
    • We verified ads are correct in AAS and NRAO page. Need to continue targetted recruitment. AI for CC to get fliers to hand-out/post at AAS.
    • Keeping a list of weekly action items at NaascToDo. Feel free to use.
    • Need to produce new version of NAASC plan - budget methodology; changes from Washington Review.
    • CASA beta support: beta users identified from ANASAC, SAGE, NRAO Users Committee, ESAC. None yet from EVLA advisory committee or EASAC. See list at HelpDesk. Working on triage. Only two tickets submitted so far. One from T.Clark, the other from J.Hibbard (noting that the helpdesk was not working - under safari)
    • Revision of Canadian MOU is in the works. Need to iterate again with AUI and James. At AUI. Not much we can do about this until they get back to us. Will be on-going.
    • MOU with UVML for SIS development is in the works. This contract must be competed. Not sure what this means for our 2007 budget or Lichtenberg appointment or anything. Will update at next meeting.
    • Upcoming ATF schedule for the coming month: I need to link to ATF calendars
    • Science Talks/visits:
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Colloquia and Meetings: see ANASAC notes

  • ANASAC (Carilli)
    • Chose next workshop subject: Massive Star Formation. SOC co-chairs=Remy & Andrew Baker
    • Considering charge on pre-ALMA science support in USA, and input into development. Chris will verify charges with Fred, and post to ANASAC agenda prior to Jan 18 telecon. ASAC f2f in Chile Feb 1-2.

  • Main Event:
    • Staffing & Recruitment (see above)
    • Science Operations IPT face-to-face meeting (ARC Managers and Head of Science Operations): Dec 12-14 in Santiago.
      • JH attended. Main item: who is responsible for commissioning ALMA operations from end-to-end? Who provides manpower? Operations astronomers (including ARC) clearly must contribute. But if this effort is not included in AIV/CSV plan, the work has not been properly accounted for. Will be f2f meeting in Santiago on Jan 25 to discuss this with CIPT. See email from Beasley below.
      • Other point of interest: have straw-man plan for remuneration/support for duty trips to Chile, based on the amount of time spent in Chile (see worksheet attached below):
        • <22 days: just normal NRAO travel
        • 22 days to ~3mo: 15% bonus in salary. Will do 8+6+2 turno (8 shifts OSF; 6 days off; 2 days in SCO; repeat). Will attempt to have Furnished apt available (more likely for longer stays).
        • ~3-6 mo: 15% bonus in salary. Will do 8+20 turno (8 shifts OSF; 6 days off; 2 weeks in SCO; repeat). Furnished apt provided in Santiago.
        • 6-12mo: arranged on a case-by-case basis.
        • >1 yr: relocation policy applies.
  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Software Testing
    • Calibration Group (JeffMangum): Calibration
    • Imaging Group (AlWootten):
    • MM Calibrator/Spectral Line Databases (Tony Remijan)
      • We are expecting a "beta" release of all the new functionality, as well as some new surprises, by Dec 2007. Remijan will write newsletter article
    • Webpages (Tony Remijan):
      • Are these up to date?
    • EPO (Adams)
      • We need revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up from Mark by Dec 15 THIS IS STILL NEEDED!!!
      • Jan newsletter article done
      • Ad for ALMA EPO specialist Posted.
      • New EPO webcontent specialist: Taylor Johnson. Will be the point person for images. Taylor is keeping www.alma.nrao.edu and almanews (off the same page) updated.
    • NAASC Workshops (Remy)
      • Massive Star Formation. SOC co-chairs=Remy & Andrew Baker.
        • SOC: is set:
          • John Bally (Colorado)
          • Crystal Brogan (NRAO)
          • Tim Heckman (Johns Hopkins)
          • Kelsey Johnson (Virginia)
          • Doug Johnstone (Victoria)
          • Jonathan Tan (Florida)
          • Leonardo Testi (ESO)
          • Jean Turner (UCLA)
          • Keiichi Wada (NAOJ)
          • Jonathan Williams (Hawaii)
          • Christine Wilson (McMaster) *Al Wootten (NRAO)
        • LOC: discussion tomorrow with RI, CB, JH
        • Format: planing on ~6 topical sessions. Each session will have ~2 "wish-list" talk, ~1 invited talks, ~2 contributed talks.
        • When: Waiting for UVa football schedule. Around Oct 24.
        • need webpages & poster by end of Jan.
    • ALMA Meetings: (Wootten)

Supporting Material:

Email from T. Beasley on SciOps/CIPT meeting:


Subject:[Alma_opssw] Operations Software Coordination Group
From: Tony Beasley <tbeasley@alma.cl>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:36:03 -0300
To: alma_opssw@alma.cl

dear All,

This week we discussed setting up a group to review/coordinate the ALMA operations software 
efforts - allowing the end users of the Operations software more insight/control into the 
CIPT development. The group will be led by Lars Nyman, who will define the members and role 
of the group in discussions with CIPT.

My (biased?) summary of the recent discussion: we have a long laundry list of Operations 
Software requirements, some of which seem quite low priority (to me, at least). This list 
has not been reviewed recently except to maintain some alignment with newer versions of 
the Operations Plan. CIPT is about to start serious development on the ObsOps code, and 
so it is the right time to reevaluate the requirements, ensure they are correctly 
prioritized and time-sequenced with respect to the overall project/Observatory, and 
provide direct input from Operations (the users) into the planning & code development. 
We need an acceptable minimum-set of requirements - I am concerned that developing a 
system to meet everything being discussed at present will take several times the amount 
of resources currently allocated, with whole new areas of science and mathematics required 
(PEL, etc.).

There will be a f2f meeting of several people here in Santiago Jan 25th (with others 
suggested to dial in) where the goals and roles of the group can be discussed. This is 
not an attempt to micromanage CIPT development, more a way to help identify what is 
important.

An exploder is now set up:  alma_opssw@alma.cl, currently including:

bglenden@nrao.edu
graffi@eso.org
lnyman@eso.org
apeck@alma.cl
rhills@alma.cl
cbrogan@nrao.edu
rmurowin@alma.cl
jhibbard@nrao.edu
pandrean@eso.org
k.tatematsu@nao.ac.jp
tbeasley@alma.cl
dshepher@nrao.edu
awootten@nrao.edu
ltesti@eso.org
mchavan@eso.org
arussell@nrao.edu
hrykacze@eso.org
tetsuo.hasegawa@nao.ac.jp

Others welcome, send Lars the names.

TB 
-- JohnHibbard - 02 Jan 2008

Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
AoDtravel.xlsxls AoDtravel.xls manage 70 K 2008-01-03 - 11:38 JohnHibbard spreadsheet examining cost-effectiveness of AoD travel (turno duration, number of trips, length of trips, apt. vs. hotel)
This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2008Jan02
Topic revision: 2008-01-03, RemyIndebetouw
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback