This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2008Feb06

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Feb 6, 1-2:30pm ET (1800-1930UT), CV-ER311/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2008-02-06 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: AW, CB, JH, HL, RR, TH, JM
  • Soc: CC, SM
  • GB:
  • ATF:
  • Canada: JdF
  • Tuc: DE

Action Items from past meetings

  • ACTION: send targeted emails about NAASC jobs
    • WHO: Carilli/Hibbard/Brogan/Adams
    • DUE: Jan 31
    • DONE: Jan 15
    • NOTES: Sent to mailing lists and some targets
  • ACTION: Take fliers/posters of NRAO ads to AAS to put in peoples hands (at booth, NRAO Town Meeting, etc)
    • WHO: CC & Exec ADs
    • DUE: Jan 6
    • DONE: Jan 6
    • NOTES: Chris will bring up at Fridays Town Hall telecon
  • ACTION: Do ANASAC agenda; post charges
    • WHO: CC
    • DUE: Jan 15
    • DONE: Jan 15
    • NOTES: ANASAC telecon Jan 18. ASAC meeting Feb 1-2
  • ACTION: add links to ATF calendars to NAASC wikis/webpages
    • WHO: Hibbard
    • DUE: Jan 2
    • DONE: Jan 2
  • *ACTION*: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams
    • DUE: Dec 15
    • DONE:
    • NOTES:
  • ACTION: Iterate with NRC on Canadian MOU
    • WHO: Carilli/di Francesco
    • DUE: End Feb
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Carilli must incorporate AUI comments to cover letter
  • ACTION: Write revised NAASC proposal: budget methodology; changes from Washington review
    • WHO: Hibbard
    • DUE: Jan-30
    • DONE: New budget done 11/13. Need text.
  • ACTION: Review NAASC webpage you are responsible for (see assignments) prior to monthly NAASC Org. Meeting
    • WHO: Everyone
    • DUE: prior to meeting
    • DONE:

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION: Append Crystals email on beta testing priorities to this agenda
    • WHO: J.Hibbard
    • DUE: Feb 7
    • DONE: Feb 7
    • NOTES:
  • ACTION: Send AOPverD milestones to James
    • WHO: J.Hibbard
    • DUE: Feb 7
    • DONE: Feb 7
    • NOTES:
  • ACTION: CASA testing for beta patch 1
    • WHO: esp. Remijan, Indebetouw, Hibbard, Carilli, Brogan, Myers. Anyone else who can.
    • DUE: Feb 15
    • DONE:
    • NOTES:
  • ACTION: Give Nicole names for science advisory groups, so they can all be testers.
    • WHO: Cbrogan
    • DUE: Feb 15
    • DONE:
    • NOTES:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Carilli/Hibbard)
    • NAASC staffing: 1-2 CSV Liaison, CASA developer, EPO program manager. Jobs closed now. Committees meeting.
    • Two Jansky Fellows coming to Charlottesville in the Fall: Stuart Corder & Brian Kent. Both are very interested in ALMA, and in participating in Commissioning. Kent has legit VO credentials.
    • Thijs de Graauw is interim JAO director. Head of Tech Services candidate to visit Chile. Lets hope this goes well!
    • Next f2f meeting of SciOpsIPT will be in Charlottesville Feb 26-27. This is Massimos' last meeting with this group.
    • Tasks for SciOpsIPT: report on helpdesks (Gareth is helping with this); update Ops S/W requirements to AOPversD; set timeline for various implementation plans; coordinate hiring.
    • Need to produce new version of NAASC plan - budget methodology; changes from Washington Review.
    • Revision of Canadian MOU is in the works. Need to iterate again with AUI and James.
    • CFP for SIS development work has gone out. 30day tender.
    • Russ Smeback (JAO Head ADM) is in town. Meeting with us to resolve 2007 & 2008 budgets and future reporting.

  • ANASAC (Carilli)
    • Telecon Jan 18. Agenda; Minutes
    • Email requesting NAm names for development planing sent by Blain to group.

  • Main Event:
    • ASAC meeting report: main item for us was report on CASA. They wanted to be helpful. Some would like to see a return to more formal tests. Fillers for CARMA & SMA. Say to wait 1 more quarter before opening release, but allow all science advisor members to download now (Action on C.Brogan). Support more platforms
    • CASA patch1 pre-testing: need concerted testing effort. Should be available for macs on Friday. plotxy fragile; may need to work around it. See supplemental material for testing priorities. esp: immath, imstat. Freeze Feb20, build Feb25.
  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Software Testing
    • Calibration Group (JeffMangum): Calibration
    • Imaging Group (AlWootten):
    • MM Calibrator/Spectral Line Databases (Tony Remijan)
      • Splatalogue.net has the new interface which should be more user friendly etc, and we will continue updating the database. There is about 2 weeks of work left to be done on that. Remijan will write newsletter article.
    • Webpages (Tony Remijan):
      • New NRAO webpage is near beta release. Fred wants NAASC to pioneer science user outreach.
    • EPO (Adams)
      • We need revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up from Mark by Dec 15 THIS IS STILL NEEDED!!!
      • Deadline for April Newsletter is March 5.
      • Ad for ALMA EPO specialist Posted.
    • NAASC Workshops (Remy)
      • Massive Star Formation. SOC co-chairs=Remy & Andrew Baker. Still waiting for UVa football schedule.
    • ALMA Meetings: (Wootten)


Supporting Material

Email from C. Brogan on CASA beta patch-1 testing priorities:

Subject: Beta Patch 1
From: Crystal Brogan <cbrogan@nrao.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:03:28 -0500 (EST)
To: Anthony Remijan <aremijan@nrao.edu>, Antonio Hales <ahales@nrao.edu>, 
Robert Reid <rreid@nrao.edu>, Remy Indebetouw <remy@virginia.edu>, 
John Hibbard <jhibbard@nrao.edu>, Al Wootten <awootten@nrao.edu>
CC: Brian Glendenning <bglenden@gmail.com>, "Steven T. Myers" <smyers@aoc.nrao.edu>

Dear CV ALMA folks,

Its that time again for testing the next CASA beta update (known as 
Beta Patch 1). We aim to make that release available on Feb. 25.

The timeframe for testing is from Feb. 4 to Feb. 20.

I hope all of you can commit some time for testing. Those paid 
by the NAASC are expected to.

Things that have changed substaintially include:

plotxy (time averaging is supposed to be much faster)
independent rr,ll,xx,yy imaging
logging
imhead

NEW TASKS
polcal (polarization calibration)
immath (not listed in tasklist) imstats  (not listed in tasklist)
uvsub
listvis
regridimage

But everything also needs to be tested end to end.

TOMORROW the casapy-test here in CV on RedHat 4.x linux machines 
should be up to date for testing. The Mac distribution (and other 
platforms) will likely not be ready until the end of the week. Use 
Valen if you need to.

FYI-1, I believe Sanjay is in CV for another week (though not 
primarily for our assistance), you may wish to do some testing 
while he's here.

FYI-2, I will be out of town Feb. 10-21 (in Socorro Feb. 14-20).

Best,
Crystal 

-- JohnHibbard - 07 Feb 2008
Topic revision: r2 - 2008-02-07, DarrelEmerson
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback